Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about going to check out this car, but I've noticed a couple of things about it that bug me. Firstly, it appears to have a '93-'95 steering wheel. It also has the newer-style digital odometer. Why would these things be on a '90 300SL? I know many people updated these cars and did away with their original two tone paint, updated the wheels, etc... but I can't say I've come across updated steering wheels and odometers before. My first thought goes to the car being salvaged/wrecked in the past. Anyone have any other guesses/comments/ideas?

Cars for Sale: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster Convertible in FRISCO, TX 75034: Convertible Details - 282805286 - AutoTrader.com

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
This car should be checked thoroughly.

Some people upgrade their steering wheels for aesthetic purposes (I did); in some cases, a used steering wheel is cheaper than replacing a blown airbag - implying a frontal accident.

Likewise for the digital dashboard; wanting to upgrade, or hiding actual mileage?

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
I would agree with elbeik on this one as well. After looking at the car, it may be odd that he kept the original rims and lights etc, but change only the wheels and the cluster. If it had new rims and lights and attempted to make it look newer, then I would say dont worry so much.
However I have a few words of my own to speak. 1. Whenever you buy a car it should be checked thorougly. 2. Price seems very high. Especially for a 300sl. For 10 grand I would expect a newer R129 with the V8.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car should be checked thoroughly.

Some people upgrade their steering wheels for aesthetic purposes (I did); in some cases, a used steering wheel is cheaper than replacing a blown airbag - implying a frontal accident.

Likewise for the digital dashboard; wanting to upgrade, or hiding actual mileage?
This is exactly what I fear.

Andrew Tang said:
Price seems very high. Especially for a 300sl. For 10 grand I would expect a newer R129 with the V8.
If you look up asking prices for 300SL's on autotrader.com, it's pretty much average for mileage and condition. There's an identical '90 300SL here in Austin with 100k miles which isn't as sharp for the same asking price, in fact:

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300 - Dillon Motors Austin, TX

For what it's worth, I have no interest in a V8. The 300SL is lighter, more fuel efficient, has better underhood access, etc. Plus, I don't care for the post '95 SL's... the '90-'95 have the most pure lines, in my opinion. Especially the front bumper on the newer ones just look goofy. Also, I've owned 2 DeLoreans... I know and understand Bosch CIS.

Either way, I'll end up running Carfax reports on potential 300SL's... and I have a local Benz shop in mind to have them inspected. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on why the steering wheel and odometer would be replaced other than hiding high mileage and blown airbags.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Hi I don't know what annual safety checks you have to go for over there ,but here we have the MOT checks every year and on it it states the mileage ,so if a car comes with a full set of MOT paperwork you can check its the right mileage,service history is not as good unless the invoices are all there as ebay offers stamps to stamp the book with. have it checked out well :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts