Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, it is two intake and one exhaust. This has only been around in the last few years. I think it was 98 or 99. Before that is was DOHC 4V. Now it is SOHC 3V. The 3 valves make room for two spark plugs per cylinder. They say that the two plugs give better and more complete combustion (better emissions and mileage), the three valves and one cam/cyl bank offer less valve train complication, size and weight. I'm sure there are more little tidbits, but I think that is te gist of it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This change came about when Mercedes changed from the inline 6 and went to the V6. The Inline 6 has a dual overhead cam with 4 valves per cylinder where as the newwer V6 has a single cam with 2 intake valves and one larger exhaust valve per cylinder. As mentioned before they also added another spark plug to clean up the emmissions. They also made these changes so that they could share parts and production costs with the V8 engines.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the new V-6 as smooth in running as....

the inline-6 or the V-8. I tend to think that the inline-6 engine in general is the smoothest engine there can be (except of course the historic Buick inline-8's), what is your opinion?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another reason is...

that with one exhaust valve the exhaust temp rises faster then a two valve system. This also help emissions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts