Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dream has always been to have a mint 300TE in that classic 904 midnight blue. It's an amazing color and actually would match my maroon/red interior. I don't really like the smoke silver as I am used to dark colored cars. Maybe one day I will do a full repaint. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Dark blue with maroon? You're kidding, right?

When I was doing contract work for GM I'd see dark blue Buicks and Cadillacs with maroon or red interiors. I commented to one of the engineers that I thought it was a pretty nasty combo and he told me that it was an end of year thing. When there was a surplus of red/maroon interiors they'd build cars in an array of popular colors that had an "acceptable" match with the red/maroon.

Seems pretty low on the end of "acceptable" to me but not as bad as the teal/maroon 260e I saw on autotrader.com a few years ago. The car had low miles and seemed to be pristine but that combo, ewww, was possibly the worst I've ever seen. The green and red xmas special...

But hey, maybe that's just me. If you want dark blue with maroon go for it. I personally think that smoke silver and burgundy is the best combo there is and intend to swap a maroon interior into my smoke silver TE. (It currently has a mushroom interior.)

·
Registered
898 Posts
+1 on what Pete said. I have some silver over black interior and like that.

but blue over maroon, thats far from my first choice. but do whatever flats your boat but I personally think Pete and I are with the masses and if/when you want to sell the color combo will hurt your resale value.

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, thanks guys. I know it would hurt resale value but I am a traveling salesman that will be putting on lots of miles, so I will be keeping this car forever, if I don't get in an accident like my last BMW wagon that was pristine but of course the insurance company totaled because some idiot kid ran into me. It had 241,000 miles black on black and was pristine. Never would have parted with it if it wasn't totaled. Anyway, Smoke silver is a little fuudy duddy for me and I saw a 190sl in midnight blue with my interior and it looked great. Classic old school in fact. Don't have the money now anyway for a great repaint, but I think it would be great. Thanks for yout thoughts.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I saw a 190sl in midnight blue with my interior and it looked great. Classic old school in fact.
Blue with red interior was a 60s thing, always special ordered, and only by Italian beatniks, so they are somewhat rare. You could be the reincarnation of such a person. If it was me I'd start with a midnight blue wagon and then swap/dye to get the red interior.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very italian.

It takes the right car and hues of both colors to pull it off.

I really don't think a metallic blue color is going to be helpful. XK Jag roadsters were done up that way as well with oxblood interiors (really dark, close to brown.) But I agree, if that's what you want for your car, so be it.

Ad show us some pics when you're done!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Yeah not sure that color mix would go too well - hard too picture.

Midnight Blue, Midnight Blue.....can't think of where I have seen it before :D

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
me, my ideal 300TE would be white or silver with a medium-grey interior. I know its boring as all heck. funny thing is, I drive well over the speed limit, and hardly never get tickets :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Blue with red interior was a 60s thing, always special ordered, and only by Italian beatniks, so they are somewhat rare. You could be the reincarnation of such a person. If it was me I'd start with a midnight blue wagon and then swap/dye to get the red interior.
What is an "Italian beatnik" ?????
Just another ignorant comment from an equally ignorant individual...

It was an extremely popular color combo in British sports and sport saloons of the era, but don't know of many Italian cars of the era with the color combo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally done!

Guys, it took three months for the total job, however, I picked a guy who does auto body/restorations who owns a small shop. I have used this guy before as he did some painting on my old 95 BMW 525IT wagon. I knew his work was excellent. My 1990 300TE was incredible shape as it had no rust, dings, beautiful interior and my dream was to make it 904 Blue with the oxblood interior. I have seen old 190sl cars in this combo and I think it is amazing. Plus you never see an old TE in this color combo. I was never a fan of the different color cladding so I had him paint it matching 904 Blue. The prep was unbelievable as he removed the rear side windows, back tailgate window, sunroof, interior door panels, etc. It looks absolutely factory. So long smoke silver. Here are the final shots. Thanks guys, Hutch

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/hutch555/slideshow/Mercedes Benz 300TE/Mercedes Benz 300TE 904 Blue

·
Registered
562 Posts
Guys, it took three months for the total job, however, I picked a guy who does auto body/restorations who owns a small shop. I have used this guy before as he did some painting on my old 95 BMW 525IT wagon. I knew his work was excellent. My 1990 300TE was incredible shape as it had no rust, dings, beautiful interior and my dream was to make it 904 Blue with the oxblood interior. I have seen old 190sl cars in this combo and I think it is amazing. Plus you never see an old TE in this color combo. I was never a fan of the different color cladding so I had him paint it matching 904 Blue. The prep was unbelievable as he removed the rear side windows, back tailgate window, sunroof, interior door panels, etc. It looks absolutely factory. So long smoke silver. Here are the final shots. Thanks guys, Hutch

Mercedes Benz 300TE 904 Blue Slideshow by hutch555 | Photobucket
I am not a fan of red/maroon interior but your interior looks really clean feels just came out of factory :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Looks nice as well as the red interior.
Can you share the shop location and how much did it cost you to have painted?
I would like to give my W201 a fresh re-paint as the red color is fading on the roof, hood and trunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts