Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1976 450SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am perhaps the newbiest of all newbies. I just bought my '76 after seeing only a handful of photos. (Sorry, not digital or I'd post) I won't even see the car until I pick it up in 2-3 weeks! I'm sure I'll have a TON of questions later, but this one immediately caught my eye...

I noticed in the photos that the inner two headlights are amber. I haven't seen a single picture of another 107 with amber headlights.

[?] What gives?

·
Registered
560SL
28 Posts
The inner amber lights are probobly hi beams usually seen on older benz models and some la...

The inner amber lights are probobly hi beams usually seen on older benz models and some late model acuras. they are most likely sealed beam and have terrible light output. i suggest upgrading to Hella european headlamps(assuming you have circular 4 cluster light assemblies) they run around 40 each at www.performanceproducts.com , if its not on their website, call them, they are the hella 5'3/4 or 1/4, not sure,high performance headlamps, the lo beam has H4 bulb, and the hi comes with H1. good luck, if you have anyother questions on the SL lemme kno.
-francesco

·
Registered
2002 VW Golf TDI
26 Posts
Those are French high beams most likely. Before the mid ninties, French cars had to hav...

Those are French high beams most likely. Before the mid ninties, French cars had to have YELLOW low/high/fog lamps. Yellow is easier on the eye than white, but you loose intensity.

Keep them for there rarity, but I would install white for more power. Cibie CSRs are some of the best replacement 5.75 lamps out there.

·
Registered
1976 450SL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I was a little worried at first...

Still haven't picked the car u...

Thanks for the info! I was a little worried at first...

Still haven't picked the car up, but many things will certainly be begging for upgrades!!

Do you know ballpark price or a good source for the Cibie's you mentioned?

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
2002 VW Golf TDI
26 Posts
560 Tuner--

You are mistaken. The Acura and older benz have Yellow FOG lamps, not high...

560 Tuner--

You are mistaken. The Acura and older benz have Yellow FOG lamps, not high beams. Yes, it is not a good idea to mount the fog in the headlamp as it will not get under the fog as well, but for cost and styling purposes MBZ likes to do it.

·
Registered
2002 VW Golf TDI
26 Posts
560 Tuner--

You are mistaken. The Acura and older benz have Yellow FOG lamps, not high...

560 Tuner--

You are mistaken. The Acura and older benz have Yellow FOG lamps, not high beams. Yes, it is not a good idea to mount the fog in the headlamp as it will not get under the fog as well, but for cost and styling purposes MBZ likes to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts