Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car is great, runs like a top(except cold starts, a little grey smoke and some knocking for about 30-45 seconds)

the fuel sender is broken and shows extra fuel in the tank(it varies, making my job HARD) i have not been able to determine how much a distance the car can travel on a full tank. my best guess is about 225 miles.

this might come from a comparison to my 2.0 5 speed manual car that weighs about 1000 pounds less, but the milage seems low to me! the leon travels 400+ miles on 11 gallons.

what things should i do to maximize my fuel milage?

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I get poor gas mileage too. But I drive it hard so thats why. [}:)]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i suppose that could be it! theres no other way to drive 1 3/4 tons pushed around by 60 horsepower!

i have to say though, my 40 horse vw 1200 seems MUCH quicker. night and day quicker!

G

·
0 Posts
Ineon.

A few areas to look into are the
fuel leaks.
A lot of small leaks can add up
to a large loss.
Check all the fuel lines, especially
the braded ones.
They are notorious for leaking.

Dragging brakes can decrease your
mileage too.

Under inflated tires affect mileage too.

The injectors can be dirty, some diesel
purge might help.
If not, then a professional cleaning could
be the solution.

Lastly, the injector pump could be out
of adjustment.

Louis.

A

·
0 Posts
u probably need alot of general TLC. u should get TONS of milage per tank on the little 4 popper, i get 410 miles per tank in the city with my 3.0 turbo motor, so u should be capable of getting at least that, or even better. just caus it runs GREAT doesnt mean it doesnt need to be fixed, thats my philosophy that keeps me busy for hours a week playing with stuff. who knows, hard to tell, whatever.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tinkering is fine for those that can.

between school work, commission work and my limited social life, i barey have time to bathe!

i do have next week off for spring break, though. so maybe ill do some stuff then. is there any equal to lubro-moly brand diesel purge? i cant find it around here and i didnt order it in time to get it by break.

ill be damned if ill pay to overnight a 7 dollar bottle of chemicals!

so what about this TLC? im really not super mechanically inclined heh heh i could draw you a picture of the part successfully but to hell if i could name it[:p]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
does your odometer/trip odometer work? by that you can get a very accurate reading on the mileage. it may be more than you think!

·
Registered
1997 E300D
204 Posts
well my benz gets better than my jeep it gets 220 miles compared to my benz gets 350 on a tank that is all highway and some local driving and driving at speeds of 65 miles per hr [8D][8D][8D]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I think you’re calculating your fuel mileage wrong. When the gauge is on ‘R’ you should have used about 18 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JDC-
I cannot honestly calculate my fuel milage. the gauge is broken and the car just runs out arbitrarily=)

seriously, there is no rhyme or reason to the running out of gas issue.

once it refused to start, took a can of gas, cranked instantly and then needed 15 dollars to fill. (25 in all, about right)

but then it runs out 3 days later. the car isnt driven as a "normal" car. it is more of a "spare"[:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Runs out arbitrarily? Like Louis said, are there any leaks? It definitely has to be leaking, or you're driving it like you stole it!

Check all fuel lines first. You might have corroded metal fuel lines or broken rubber ones. Do you smell diesel fuel when you go near the car?

This is odd, since I remember you tell us that you once felt the car driving as if it had no power, but you're using up your fuel like you just ran a marathon!

Ok here's a suggestion: how far do you drive a day, give or take (is your odometer working??)? When you fill your tank, how many miles (on estimate) does it take until you have to fill it up again? And when you fill it up, how many gallons does the receipt tell you? That's one way you can tell how many miles per gallon you make.

I myself fill up when the needle is still above 1/4 and that gives me around 10 gallons of fuel, for 250 miles (25 mpg). If I let the needle down all the way to the "R" then perhaps I'll reach 18 gallons at fill up and will have driven 450 miles. I have not even used diesel purge yet, and I usually drive at the street's maximum speed possible (or a bit higher). On the freeway I go for 80 on average, 60-70 seems boring[:D] but I know that 25mpg will increase if I drive at that speed hehe...

Off topic (as as aside [:D]) what car is a Leon? The only car that's Leon that I know is the Seat Leon Cupra [?][:p]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the leon is a Dodge neon. Leon neon Junior, to be correct.

I had a 96 model sunroof sedan prior and this one is a 98 model coupe, i thought it fit.

the odometer works, as does the tripmeter. it seems like the last time i *filled* the tank, that i added 10 dollars in the middle and got 288 miles on that. it could have been the complete fill-up. in that case, its about right for a big old heavy car thats out-of-tune, eh?

but it seems like i remember adding some gas to that. i guess the only way to figure it out is to take the gas can with me, fill that up and the tank and drive till it cuts off=) ill make that my silly spring break project for myself.

im dreading tis spring break, by the way. lots of drawings to do/photoshop work and a dvd project*sighs*

atleast im not sick like last year!

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
iNeon - 3/23/2005 5:40 PM

the car is great, runs like a top(except cold starts, a little grey smoke and some knocking for about 30-45 seconds)

the fuel sender is broken and shows extra fuel in the tank(it varies, making my job HARD) i have not been able to determine how much a distance the car can travel on a full tank. my best guess is about 225 miles.

this might come from a comparison to my 2.0 5 speed manual car that weighs about 1000 pounds less, but the milage seems low to me! the leon travels 400+ miles on 11 gallons.

what things should i do to maximize my fuel milage?
1. Affix a heavy load barge to the back of a turbo diesel powered boat.

2. Place the diesel powered Merc on barge. Tow several kilometres out from shore.

3. Untie barge from diesel powered boat. Sink barge.

4. Boat home, knowing you have found the appropriate place for diesel powered personal transports.

[:D]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh, be nice!

its a great car aside from this and a sometimes weird charging "thing" i gotta charge the battery once a week. the weird thing is, the car has never died on my mother. hmm..

it cant like her more! i give it baths and rub-downs with pseudo expensive shiny car products and i even bought seat/dash conditioner!

boy, im starting to think this car has better hygene products than i do!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
iNeon - 3/25/2005 2:14 AM

the odometer works, as does the tripmeter. it seems like the last time i *filled* the tank, that i added 10 dollars in the middle and got 288 miles on that. it could have been the complete fill-up. in that case, its about right for a big old heavy car thats out-of-tune, eh?

but it seems like i remember adding some gas to that. i guess the only way to figure it out is to take the gas can with me, fill that up and the tank and drive till it cuts off=) ill make that my silly spring break project for myself.
don't run a diesel out of fuel on purpose !!

your tank is a total of 21.1 gal. just fill the tank, reset the trip odometer,drive 200 miles,then fill again and see how many gallons it takes. divide 200 by no. of gallons= mpg!
i bet you get more like in the high 20's at least.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not as yet, i havent. maybe i just worry because this is *my* first car. every other car ive had has been gifted to me.

i say maybe i just worry because i drove it this morning and went to put gas in it, it only took 6 dollars to fill up.

im really not posting to waste youalls time, i promise!

as a loosly related issue, it was 80 degrees today and i was stuck in HORRID traffic for over 2 hours on the way home and all worked fine. the a/c is cold. i likes air conditioning!

how warm is the car supposed to run? i have an american gaugeset (100F-250F) an it runs at about 170 in town, a little over 200 with the a/c on and then just plain interstate a little below 200, but not much.

ill say it again it again....im not trying to annoy youall, is that a normal temperiture?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
You’re not wasting anyone’s time – if someone thinks you’re wasting his time, he would not post.

Here’s what I do: I fill the car with fuel (it’s fuel or diesel, not gas – btw…), reset the trip odo, and run it down to ‘R.’ I fill up with fuel again, usually 18 gallons with a 3 gallon reserve. I divide 18 into the number of miles I went on 18 gallons for my mpg. I’m at about 24 in the city – you should do a little better.

Normal operating temp for an OM 616/617 is 80 to 85 degrees Celsius. That she did not overheat in traffic with the AC on is quite a coup and makes that 240 D a keeper, IMHO. [:)]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts