Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the start of my new job, despite being a college student I am actually able to save some money instead of breaking even every week!!! So im looking to upgrade from the ol' 85 turbo beater.

my problem is i have fallen in LOVE with it, and after helping out at a car shop/dealership they've offered to sell me any A4 or A6 at cost. Super nice of them, but the owner/w123 fanatic is also selling his 240D which is MINT. It's got about 150k miles, manual transmission, and it's such a solid car.

Now I know my girlfriend and most of my friends would call me a fool if I didn't go for the super discounted audi, but they aren't built anything like these w123's. I've also personally worked on this 240D. I know that car inside and out and I can say it's got A LOT of life left in it. Even by mercedes diesel standards.

Either way I go i'll probably keep the 85 turbo just for my solo-commuting, skate park travels, snow drifting, and off roading, and then keep the new to me car nice mainly driven around in with the lady or friends on when going out.

(240D selling for 3k, I would be considering spending up to 6K for the audi's)[requiring a loan for those]

·
Registered
507 Posts
If it were my choice, I would steer clear of the Audis. I can't see anything good about them.

I would stick with the old MB, but I'm not sure I'd go for a 240D. I was talking to someone the other day who has a 300DT just like mine and he used to own a 240D for about 15 years but felt it was dangerously slow in today's traffic. He's had his 300DT since 2002 and put over 100,000 on it, and it has enough power for him.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
my problem is i have fallen in LOVE with it, and after helping out at a car shop/dealership they've offered to sell me any A4 or A6 at cost.
Even ‘at cost’ I assume you’ll still have payments to make. If you’ve got a good running 123 why incur the added monthly expense? That is the philosophy as to why MBs are built so well: in the long run it’s cheaper to maintain than buy new.

Now if your MB were at the end of its service life, requiring thousands just to get it running with reliability in question, then buying new makes sense.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
Shame on you for badmouthing Audi! They have an all wheel drive system that is better than most, it's mechanical and a non "slip-reactive" system (also unlike most).

That being said Audis are known for electrical gremlins, and these gremlins do happen to cost more than you'd be willing to pay.

If you're going to keep the Benz then I'd spring for the Audi, you're going to want another car later in life and the Audi will give you something to trade in. Especially since I don't think you'll fall madly in love with the Audi.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
OLD Audis are excellent cars. If you could find a nice 90ish 200 Quattro, you'd have a great car. New ones deserve badmouthing. As much so as newer Benz's. Don't get me wrong- from a driver standpoint, Audis are wonderful cars.

Much like Benz, Audi sold their soul to the American luxury car market, ie. lets see how much crap we can stuff into a car that NOBODY needs. Nice features, but every wire you add is another potential problem, which could take hours to find. BMW did the same thing. People spending that kind of money for a car want Navagation systems, mirrors that move themselves when you put it in reverse, heated massaging cooling ass-wiping seats, and assorted other 'features.'

A newer Audi is a money pit. It's a fantastic driving car when everything works, but wait till the timing belt lets loose on your 1.8T before it's even due to be changed!

I've been looking at a lot of VW's and Audis lately. I love the 1.8T engine. Amazing what that little machine is capable of. I also love the TDI. They're amazing machines, but the ownership costs if you drive more than a few miles a year will be utterly painful compared with the old Benz. The ones I've been looking at range from 5-10 years old.

As previously mentioned, Audi/VW are well known for electrical gremlins. I deal with electrical gremlins on vehicles 40 hours a week to make a living, and I don't want to be bothered with having to deal with one. Expect to pay big bucks any time something small happens. By 200K miles a VW product will cost more to repair than it's worth. By 200K miles, the Mercedes will be preparing you for another 200K miles with proper care.

You're not nuts. The Benz will (slowly) impress you for a very long time. After a couple of weeks of driving Audis and VW's, you'll notice my thread in this forum requesting leads on 123's for sale. If you decide not to buy the 240D (which I just foolishly hyped up) Please PM me with details, I would like it and Mass isn't too far for me to go for it.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
The audi will be a fantastic car, right up to where it goes out of warranty.

I'll never buy new cars again. Even at cost, It's no bargain.
I love the fact that I no longer pay a $500/mo car payment.

Dave aka Ghan

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the main reasons I want the audi is:

1) Fantastic driver's car

2)AWD is nice here in new england, especially for "enthusiastic drivers" such as myself. Not getting stuck in my girlfriends valley of death driveway would be a good step up.

3) modern conveniences... yes they go over the top, but heated seats and A/C are nice

The 240D

1) i know there is a lot of life left in that car. at least another 200k.

2) very simple and easy to maintain.

3) something about it's slowness sort of calms me down

4) it just makes me feel happy.

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
My sister had a 98 A4 2.8 V6 in the US, I was able to drive it a few times on my trips to the US, it was definitely one of the best handling cars I ever drove. She got rid of it after a few years as the problems it had drove her nuts. As for the most problematic Benz we ever owned which was my dad's 2000 E240 W210, it never came close to the Audi in terms of problems.

Both cars are now gone, my sister got herself an Acura TL which she loves and my dad sold his E240 last year and replaced it with a W212 E300.

As for me, I still love my w123 more than any of those cars.

·
Registered
507 Posts
A newer Audi is a money pit. It's a fantastic driving car when everything works, but wait till the timing belt lets loose on your 1.8T before it's even due to be changed!
Exactly! At 80,000 is the recommended interval I think. I don't know if the timing belt on those is between the engine and the transmission (is that only the VR6 VW maybe?), but that requires the trans to be dropped or moved to get the belt out. They're interference engines too, which means when the belt goes, so do the valves.

I know nothing about the older Audis, but at that price I figured he was late 1990's-early 2000's. I just wouldn't recommend one, but I'd suggest a 300D any day. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts