Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 320 with 170000 miles. never been changed
I asked 6 different dealer service depts if I should change the fluid.
6 different answers from never to every 30000 miles.
one said if I change it it could screw up the tranny
tranny running fine. so what do i do?

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,120 Posts
Lucky, is all you can be if you're on your original fluid. There are NUMEROUS threads discussing the 'why you should' or 'why you should not' in this forum. Do a search or go back a couple of pages. This dead horse was beaten again about a week ago.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I first bought my ML430, I took it to my independent repair shop – where I go for everything and try to avoid the “stealership” – and asked my mechanic about the “suggested” long service intervals for such things as Oil, and Transmission Fluid, etc.
His reply was “I need some new hunting equipment, so go ahead and go by their maintenance profile; I sure could use the money from your repairs”!

He was right!
I changed the Oil every 4000 miles (with Mobil 1), and have changed the Transmission Fluid, and Transfer case Fluids every 30,000 miles.

Other folks on this forum have generated MANY threads about failed transmissions, and other related problems.

My ML is now 10 years old with 171,000 miles with hardly any repairs to any major system on the vehicle.

My Mechanic is still using his old hunting gear!!!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have a 320 with 170000 miles. never been changed
I asked 6 different dealer service depts if I should change the fluid.
6 different answers from never to every 30000 miles.
one said if I change it it could screw up the tranny
tranny running fine. so what do i do?

You've got to appreciate the integrity of the dealer that said "never." He could have said, "change it"--perhaps thinking that if nothing else, it might at least do no harm, even if the tranny is sealed for life from the manufacturer. So, the dealer that said "never" is not just honest, he also is the more intelligent mechanic because he knows that changing the fluid can cause harm to your tanny.

·
11,120 Posts
You've got to appreciate the integrity of the dealer that said "never." He could have said, "change it"--perhaps thinking that if nothing else, it might at least do no harm, even if the tranny is sealed for life from the manufacturer. So, the dealer that said "never" is not just honest, he also is the more intelligent mechanic because he knows that changing the fluid can cause harm to your tanny.
Give it a rest, Mac. You have the right to maintain your vehicle any way you please. DON'T change your fluid. That's YOUR choice. The 'harm' you keep referring to is the change in viscosity from the 'worn' fluid to the new fluid. Mercedes has formulated a newer fluid to use in these transmissions with special additives for units with higher mileage to prevent the 'problem' you're referring to. Every MB dealer I know recommends fluid changes in these trannys and has for several years now. MB is even recommending 30,000 to 40,000 mile service in the W164 722.9 transmission. Sounds like an admission of failed policy, to me.

So keep on trucking, Mac. It's your right. As for me, I'll continue the regular service intervals on both my ML's. You've obviously never seen the fluid they drain out of these transmissions. It's not red, it's dark brown, almost black. You might change your mind. But then, again, probably not.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
cmitch, it's hard to change something that is closed ... even more than the "sealed" transmission.

To the OP, I agree with the post suggesting you do a search. Also look in the general forum, search including user musikmann, he started a thread there long ago, now it approaches legend status. He also posted lab analysis results of his spent fluid.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You've got to love the sanctimonious tone of the dirty-dirty-change-your-tranny-fluid types on this forum. They're not only smarter that the German engineers that wrote the manual for their cars, they're smarter than Toyota too (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1409061-never-change-your-tranny-fluid-again.html)

The dealers see'm comming. It must be hard for these dealers to keep a straight face when they tell'm it's also a good time to refresh their fluxinators and recalibrate their thingys. Are they women with men-sounding names? No! Only snarky old geezers can get so ridiculous about something so simple.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Must be nice to see everything in black and white -- and to know that you are always right. And, of course, to simply make assumptions about others and call them names.

Hey, whatever works for you and helps you sleep at night.

·
11,120 Posts
You've got to love the sanctimonious tone of the dirty-dirty-change-your-tranny-fluid types on this forum. They're not only smarter that the German engineers that wrote the manual for their cars, they're smarter than Toyota too (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1409061-never-change-your-tranny-fluid-again.html)

The dealers see'm comming. It must be hard for these dealers to keep a straight face when they tell'm it's also a good time to refresh their fluxinators and recalibrate their thingys. Are they women with men-sounding names? No! Only snarky old geezers can get so ridiculous about something so simple.
It would seem there is a near unanimous consensus here that changing the fluid is the best thing to do to prolong the life of your tranny. I have oftened wondered if you'd have the balls to get on here and bitch when your 'lifetime' tranny fails. Mine could go any time but as of this writing, it is going strong at 195,000 AND I tow with it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It would seem there is a near unanimous consensus here that changing the fluid is the best thing to do to prolong the life of your tranny. I have oftened wondered if you'd have the balls to get on here and bitch when your 'lifetime' tranny fails. Mine could go any time but as of this writing, it is going strong at 195,000 AND I tow with it.
The 5G-Tronic transmission was put into every MB from the C-Class to the V12 engined S-Class and CL-Class cars. Why is it that only ML owners think German engineers cut corners and/or know less about MB transimissions than they do?

U.S. car dealers must listen to this hysteria, maintain good customer relations, and also be so honest as to counsel owners that changing the fluid is not only unnecessary ... it could be harmful--save your money! Even so, the OP found one U.S. dealer did just that: he said "never" change the fluid--keep your money. If anyone needed to ask, that one honest dealer would tell you that you can change your fluid once a week--no matter--no transmission will last forever. Fact: Jack.

Could it be that just one out of six U.S. dealers, and all Toyota Tundra truck owners, are 'juz a wee bit more street-wise than your average Bama-benzer tranny guru on this forum? The "lifetime sealed" deniers essentially are saying, "MB made my auto but I am right and they are wrong, and so is Toyota."

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm at 104k and my mechanic checks all fluids with every oil change now. I'm not sure what he looks at but he says the tranny fluid still looks good; it has a lot of fwy miles though if that would make a difference.

The only reason car manufacturers say the fluid is "lifetime" is to make their vehicles sound low maintenance IMO.

Common sense tells us it is a fluid to lubricate and it just can't remain 100% forever. To me, here's what it comes down to: "Don't change it and you might be fine; change it and it definitely won't be worse" ...

·
11,120 Posts
The 5G-Tronic transmission was put into every MB from the C-Class to the V12 engined S-Class and CL-Class cars. Why is it that only ML owners think German engineers cut corners and/or know less about MB transimissions than they do?

U.S. car dealers must listen to this hysteria, maintain good customer relations, and also be so honest as to counsel owners that changing the fluid is not only unnecessary ... it could be harmful--save your money! Even so, the OP found one U.S. dealer did just that: he said "never" change the fluid--keep your money. If anyone needed to ask, that one honest dealer would tell you that you can change your fluid once a week--no matter--no transmission will last forever. Fact: Jack.

Could it be that just one out of six U.S. dealers, and all Toyota Tundra truck owners, are 'juz a wee bit more street-wise than your average Bama-benzer tranny guru on this forum? The "lifetime sealed" deniers essentially are saying, "MB made my auto but I am right and they are wrong, and so is Toyota."
What does Toyota have to do with it?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
FYI-- a Toyo Tundra tranny holds 15 qts. of synthetic fluid.
Gee, it couldn't have been a snarky old geezer (or one of your other puerile attacks) who said that was one of the ways to extend the life of a sealed transmission, could it?

Nah, not possible. No way could I ever be right about anything. The mere fact that I disagree with you on this discrete issue demonstrates my complete lack of competence in every aspect.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Gee, it couldn't have been a snarky old geezer (or one of your other puerile attacks) who said that was one of the ways to extend the life of a sealed transmission, could it?

Nah, not possible. No way could I ever be right about anything. The mere fact that I disagree with you on this discrete issue demonstrates my complete lack of competence in every aspect.
More dispensing of your obsequious and lugubrious kerfuffle like steaming poodle strudel? Changing the fluid in MB's 5G-Tronic automatic to increase its longetivy is like changing the air in your tires to get better mileage.

It should be welcome news to know that the 5 spd. auto in MB's MLs is one of the best trannies ever made. There are very few failures among them, which is a fact that may be lost when clown-science (such as underlies global warming hysteria) is applied to something that is not a real problem. Only MB engineers have applied real science and not anecdotal b.s. to the matter.

The controversy regarding MB's lifetime sealed automatic transmission illustrates the impact that hysterical societal misinformation has had on the way we think about the art of automobile maintenance. Don't be a girl and say to the service advisor, "Gee, do I really need to pay you to drop my pan?" Be a man and keep your lady safe: ask your service advisor if he has read the manual for your vehicle and if he understands that the transmission is sealed for life and in a way that can only be accomplished at the factory.

MB's German engineers did all they could to protect your investment from American dipsticks. The rest is up to you: just say, "NO!" to unnecessary and possible harmful transmission maintenance--if your transmission is not leaking, and if the fluid has not been exposed to air, and if there's no water or antifreeze in it, leave it alone (at least wait until you have 200K miles on your engine). It does not matter if the fluid you do not see is getting blacker or there's some metal particles in the pan: graphite causes the oil to get blacker but has no negative effects on the lubricating quality of the fluid and metal specs in the pan have no effect at all on the inner workings of your 5G-Tronic.

Zen and the art of ML500 transmission maintenance teaches us that MB’s lifetime sealed 5G-Tronic is a fascinating mechanical pas de deux between steel and lubricity, where the design of each are a marriage of form and function, where successful function—a powerful function—is the result and in fact the destiny of a process that cannot be replicated except by a correct maintenance of the marriage of the two, face-to-face, colliding in an ingeniously choreographed antagonism of ricochet and ballet. The higher truth is that the form and function of MB's 5G-Tronic is really one: an inextricable interwoven, flawlessly fused, and beautifilly bound duality, objectified into a structural and immutable reality.

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts