Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone with a well kept 300D in a beautiful shade of orange. The paint seems to be pristine and the interior nearly looks brand new. It has the chrome bundt wheels, ~170,000 miles and just had the transmission rebuilt for $3000. In addition, I saw no rust, except the battery tray, above or beneath the car. The problem is, the owner says it got "wrecked"; I'd say its light damage. The passenger side headlight and up is where the damage is; the front bumper is fine. It was hit from the front just enough to make the fender touch the wheel but not enough to smash the radiator or shift suspension mounts. I was told it was considered "totaled" due to frame damage however the only frame damage is between the bumper and the front of the wheel well. I think thats a pretty structurally insignificant area. In my opinion, the greatest challenge is simply making the frame look good enough to pass state inspection and the rest (hood, fender, headlight area) could likely be straightened with some elbow grease. A modern car with this damage could easily be repaired, why not this?

What are you alls opinion's? Do you think it should just be left as a parts car?

PS: The owner is offering me parts off it but the few parts I need will make it unusable and would certainly seal its fate; I'd rather see it make it to 500,000 miles with a happy owner.

Its located here in central Virginia in case anyones interested and I'll be adding pictures as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
I think the reason why it is "not savable" is that it is an old car.

This is new car mentality - only the young deserve a second chance! (Same attitude applied to many other situations in our modern society...)

The inner wing area can be replaced if necessary though it sounds like you need to find a craftsman (not some git with a hydraulic puller) to straighten it.

Here's a link to information about the part

PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum - View Single Post - W123 hood / bonnet spring pocket refurbishment

·
Registered
1977 300D 4sp basketcase
63 Posts
Costs more to fix then the car is worth. I picked up a great '98 Ford Zx2 that was a write off from an insurance claim. $1,000 bucks just needed a new hood. Best dd you could ask for.

·
Registered
1982 300D
8 Posts
Sounds like similar damage done to our 300D when the wife hit a deer at highway speed. Took out the fender,grill and headlight pod. Insurance gave us $1500 for repairs. I bought a parts car that happened to be the same color and replaced the damaged parts. Some of the structural area was bent but not bad enough I couldn't pull it back into place. Without pics is is hard to say how hard it would be to pull out the structure damage.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to stop by today to take some pictures. I have to decide what road to take in a day or two. I really need axles, turbo down pipe and would be nice to get the cruise control amp as well. The dash is in perfect condition and mine is cracked well beyond repair. I'm sure someone has made a thread about the swap so I wont even ask, but what I will ask is what under dash parts should I replace while in there?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Underdash part - well I guess the heater matrix would be a good one. It most certainly would be a pain in the arse to have to take it out after the new dash was in.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure ALL of the vacuum pods are broken since I have only 1 air flow setting. I want to get my A/C working soon in case there are specific parts I should pick up for that.

Don't worry it wont go to any crusher as long as I'm around, its wwaayy too nice; definitely one of the better condition W123's. It will just be sitting in a barn for years to come. :(

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What extra parts should I make it a point to grab? There are extremely few w123's around here so pick and pulls are not very useful.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My wagon was not very well taken care of, with the exception of some drivetrain parts so I'm grabbing all I can to fix it up. This is my last week of summer before my second year of college so time is of the essence. I'm told the car, now a parts car, isn't going anywhere anytime soon but you never know and I really can't afford to not make the most of this opportunity.

Okay, so maybe ALL my pink vacuum pods are not bad. I tested and found the two nearest the gas petal to be good, I'm sure the rest are probably bad. Keep in mind the car has severe sun damage to the dash so pods, like for the center vent, are surely toast. I do plan to swap my cracked dash for this perfect one during Christmas break. Not yet sure how difficult it will be.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Are all of your pink vacuum pods flopping your vents properly?
:D:D:D

Greg, sorry I took this line out of context, I'm going to have to use this line on my sis-in-law!

LOL,
Dave

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
:D:D:D

Greg, sorry I took this line out of context, I'm going to have to use this line on my sis-in-law!

LOL,
Dave
A sister in law with pink vacuum pods? Tell me more!

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: The owners want to tear down the barn where the car resides so it has to go in the next couple months. Does anyone want parts, a turbo engine or a parts car?

The car is in Mechanicsville, VA and the owner will likely make a generous deal.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I need a RF spindle assembly. Oh & send the pink vac pods to Stretch!:big laugh:

Did you end up getting any pix of the car in question Master7?

I will send you a PM as well!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
If it wasn't an hour and a half away I'd check it out.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to see the car today and talked with the owner. She informed me that a lady has plans to buy the car and she wants me to put a hold on grabbing parts. :( It could fall through but for now I may need to find another parts car.

I do have a box full of miscellaneous parts I've pulled since I've had access to the car. I have things like the blower motor, door panels, window regulators, switches, wood trim, screws, antenna motor, vacuum actuators, etc.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
A friend came over last night & told me to call a MB dealer to find out if my 90SDL part will be compatible like the listing on Ebay says it is.

My hub turned until I put the caliper on. So maybe I didn't get the pistons in far enough. Anyone have a How-to on that?

But again it's an 84 caliper on a 90 spindle from a W126. :dunno:Benzilla I think is what Rmac called it!

D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts