Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 2010 E350 and traded for 2011. Gas is better on 2011 by 1-2 mpg. Can get 30-31 mpg @ steady 65mph on freeways. Finally found out the reason (I believe) for the difference. My info is that late 2011 models have the new tranny fluid that is standard in the 2012. Talked to a reliable TECH about this. He also mentioned that you CANNOT mix the new and old fluids. My 2011 is a June production.

Anybody know any more about this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would not put too much stock in a 1-2 mpg difference. This is likely due to normal production differences. I once owned two nearly identical same year subarus. One was nearly a half second quicker 0-60, and one seemed to get better gas mileage. Both had different tires. The one with michelins did better on fuel economy than the one with Bridgestones. I would not think a change in tranny fliud would/could yield that significant a difference. Tires certainly would/could and even inflation pressure can make this type of difference. The difference between summer and winter fuel formulations can account for even higher discrepencies in mpg.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2011 mpg

I would not put too much stock in a 1-2 mpg difference. This is likely due to normal production differences. I once owned two nearly identical same year subarus. One was nearly a half second quicker 0-60, and one seemed to get better gas mileage. Both had different tires. The one with michelins did better on fuel economy than the one with Bridgestones. I would not think a change in tranny fliud would/could yield that significant a difference. Tires certainly would/could and even inflation pressure can make this type of difference. The difference between summer and winter fuel formulations can account for even higher discrepencies in mpg.
Same wheels and tires on both cars. I moved the 2010s to the 2011. All I know is what I get. Not really getting bogged down in the details.

·
Registered
114 Posts
in MY 2011 didnt they introduce the 7speed plus... it is said to have a fuel effecient torque converter and other small items.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 7G plus is for 2012. If the OP doesn't want to bog down in details, then just enjoy the extra mpg or two. I would suspect fuel and driving style. Of course it could be that the this particular example is just magical.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What month builds were supposed to get the new tranny fluid (what month 2011 MY)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts