Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

My first post, let me tell you why I am here.

I lived in a middle class suburb (Whampoa Garden, for those who know Hong Kong). Everyday walking back and forth to the bus stop for school, I would always choose to walk a particular path so that I walk pass the Mercedes-Benz showroom.

That was 10 years ago, Hong Kong was just taken over by the Chinese; together with many Asian countries, we were experiencing the Asian Financial Crisis. The scale of the crisis was similar to what hit the US yesteryear, and the society was in great distress. I was only young back then, but I can sense that everyone around me is in deep trouble. Just switch on the news, reading the paper, it seemed that the only news that you read is that people committing suicide.

But the senses of financial distress, the pain, the suffering never seemed to have hit that showroom at Po Loi Street. That Mercedes showroom was always surrounded by an aura of serenity, the staff there were dutiful and polite, the soft near-natural lighting is always so welcoming and just merely looking into that showroom gave me a daily refuge that any Asian school kid would need.

800px-HK_HH_Po_Loi_Street_Zung_Fu_Benz_shop.jpg
Picture: Po Loi Street Mercedes-Benz Today, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

The focal point of that showroom seems to be lit up by some sort of special lighting; that corner there captures the essense, the entire philosophy of the Mercedes-Benz company. That corner there, sits a Silver Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

The S-Class is the best car in the world, no doubt about that. Yes, you can find a faster car, a prettier car or even a more reliable one. But you won’t be able to find a BETTER one. It is not only a symbol of fine motoring; it also represents the pinnacle human achievements. Because, arguably, only self-made, hardworking men and women should have one. Unlike other luxury brands, you rarely see young kids with rich parents in one, you don’t see playboys in an S, and you don’t see aristocrats in one either. Strictly no sex kittens or trophy wives in an S, please. So who look best at the back seat of an S-Class? A self-made millionaire, CEO of multi-national companies, an executive of some sort, a hard-working government officials, a skillful diplomats, and of course, Presidents.

I wanted one. I wanted to be one of them. I still want one; and I still want to be one of them.

When I was only 18, before I even have a license, I promised myself that, by 25, I should be driving an S-Class, at least the older model. That promise was broken by me. In fact, when I was 25, I was in such a bad state that I was about to give up my beloved Aeronautics, it was just too hard, I really needed emotional support, and a Mercedes-Benz was just simply out of the question.

To me, a Mercedes S-Class is a promise, a promise to myself, a rather broken (or late) one. To me, a Silver Mercedes-Benz W220 S-Class means a full recovery, a comeback, or even, revenge. I cannot wait to hold and feel the keyless key; I will unlock the car, slowly open the rear left passenger door and sit in its legendary stuffed, supportive, leather seat, closing my eyes and smell sweet success.

That promise was broken 3 years ago. I don’t like breaking promises with others, and I don’t know why I am accepting this borken promise to myself. I have no intention to wait anymore, I have to have one.

I bought one, Feb 2011.
Nelson
IMG00655.jpg
Picture: Sydney, Australia: My First Test Drive of a W220

·
Registered
719 Posts
Woohoo! Congratulations! The car looks great too! What year did you buy, how many miles, what options etc? Any more pics?.. Again, looks great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Woohoo! Congratulations! The car looks great too! What year did you buy, how many miles, what options etc? Any more pics?.. Again, looks great!
Sydney-20110810-00215.jpg

:D

I bought it in Feb 2011, so to me the car is 9 months old.

135,000km and it now has 145,000 km

Icon.jpg

Fairly stock, and it is a 320, so most basic.

So far

1. The Satnav doesnt work, showing 00SAT, not fixing it.
  2. Failed Air Suspension, repaired for A$3,500
  3. Fixed oil leak $450
  4. Crank Position Sensor, fixed A$475
  5. Tt was working fine, the soft closing boot, but now doesnt work anymore, I must have somehow borken it. Not Fixing It.
  6. Radiator Fan failed bearing, sounds like a Jet Engine, this is new and awiting for a quote :(
I was really upset was going to trade in for a Hybrid Camry yesterday :crybaby2:

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Nice story Nelson, I lived in Hong Kong before coming to china. We all have dreams but once we achieve them somehow it does not seem the same, we have reached the summit and look for a new summit to climb. W221 may look good to you?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nelson - Considering you are 25 yrs old, in Aeronautics, write perfect English as a second language, and own a great looking S class; it sounds like you are pretty hard working and way above the norm.

Some of the repairs that you described can be easy Do It Yourself jobs by using the resources of this forum. It can be enjoyable, and save thousands in labor expenses. (Save some of the complicated and less frequent breakdown work for the shops)

Remember - you are part of the crowd with a Camry - distinct from the crowd with a MB.

Keep the car - keep the faith!

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Nelson - Considering you are 25 yrs old, in Aeronautics, write perfect English as a second language, and own a great looking S class; it sounds like you are pretty hard working and way above the norm.

Some of the repairs that you described can be easy Do It Yourself jobs by using the resources of this forum. It can be enjoyable, and save thousands in labor expenses. (Save some of the complicated and less frequent breakdown work for the shops)

Remember - you are part of the crowd with a Camry - distinct from the crowd with a MB.

Keep the car - keep the faith!
Correct, Toyota is just that but Mercedes Benz is a new level of experience.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's a great story and I know the feeling. I've longed to enter the S-class world since long before I could even drive. I've always felt it was the automobile that represented the best and that you "made it". Let's face it, the S-Class has always been a leader in style, features, and quality.

That said, forget the Toyota. Based on your story, you will be nothing but depressed with that.

Find a good indpendent mechanic, do what you can yourself with the resources of this forum, EPC, and the WIS shop manual and you'll be fine. Like most high-end euro cars I've owned, once you sort it out and get all up to date on the maintenance, you should be good to go for a long time.

I do feel your pain however, I also purchased my first S500 recently, only to double, if not triple, my initial repair budget. After my first long trip, I don't regret it at all, it truly is a fabulous car. My wife used to have a Toyota Matrix and I can truly tell you I despised every moment being in it. I even forced her to sell it for an old low mileage Saab!

Best of luck, read this forum thoroughly, and you'll be fine!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nelson,
You remembered me of myself 11 years ago when MB made his W220-SKlasse. It was the beauty itself made in a car. I remember few people can afford its price(>75K). I remember our prime minister had about 5 of them S500. Everytime i see him on TV i would imagine when i can buy this car. The SKlasse was a passion to me during the past 11 years untill I bought one 7 months ago.
the feeling of driving an S-Klasse can't be described. The leather smell, you can't find it anywhere else. Like you said, and other fellows here said, the SKlasse has its people who adore it. It is true that its maintenance is a headache to me and to all who own such car, but believe me... when you enjoy driving it you forget all what you paid for it.
One single advice, love your SKlasse she will stay at your service, beautiful and elegant and always keep it in a good shape.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sydney-20111128-00214.jpg

Thanks Everyone for their Replies!

I really have to put it down, it is not rational to keep it anymore... emotionally, i just cant let it go =( :crybaby2: And with all the support I get here, I should really keep it =)

will replace radiator fan, and see how it goes (pleased to know that i have the updated strut caps)

Went to a forum reception today, photo taken today at Government House, Sydney NSW :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, welcome! I am in the same boat as you. Since I was very young, I remember being driven around and in later years driving around seeing those in S-Class and thinking ... wow, one day I want one of those.

One day....one day...

Last week, i sold my Chrysler 300 and purchased a 2003 S-500. It is insanely fast, so luxiorious and i couldn't be much happier. Now I have loftier goals (S550 or S65 AMG), but I can't imagine that it will be possible in the next 10-20 years :p

Anyways, enjoy your ride! I'll have pics of my black on black shortly with 20" chrome wheels...so excited!!! More pics please!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Nelson Chow,

I would encourage you to keep the car. It seems to be a pre-2003 model, and a car of that age and mileage, those repairs are not out of line. Most cars will encounter the need for a series of expensive repairs at that mileage, then things will settle down again.

Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed it immensely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this forum, just sold my 03 745i and is about to purchase a MB S. My only hard making decision is which one should i purchase? I love the S55, S600, and S500, now v8 vs v12, I also love the dual exhaust look. Is there any helpful information out there that anyone can share with me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hate to say it but probably would choose the 745i... I just really like that car even though the BMW forum I am on says they are junk..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hate to say it but probably would choose the 745i... I just really like that car even though the BMW forum I am on says they are junk..
I had the same idea as you which is why i selected the 745, big mistake. the 7 spent more time at the stealers (dealer) than in my garage. i just cut my losses and got rid of it as soon as possible. I do so like the s55 the rear end look with the dual exhaust is sexy. lol.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had the same idea as you which is why i selected the 745, big mistake. the 7 spent more time at the stealers (dealer) than in my garage. i just cut my losses and got rid of it as soon as possible. I do so like the s55 the rear end look with the dual exhaust is sexy. lol.
Me too! Am keeping an eye out for a cheap set of sport bumpers to get the dual exhaust look.. that dual exhaust really updates the car I feel..

·
Registered
6 Posts
S500

Me too! Am keeping an eye out for a cheap set of sport bumpers to get the dual exhaust look.. that dual exhaust really updates the car feel..
well i Made my purchase on saturday, i finally bought her. yep, an 2005 s500 black, it is a sweet ride. with sports wheels already fitted. im loving the ride. only thing is i need to add the chrome tips on the exhaust and black wood grain steering. I am delighted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i Made my purchase on saturday, i finally bought her. yep, an 2005 s500 black, it is a sweet ride. with sports wheels already fitted. im loving the ride. only thing is i need to add the chrome tips on the exhaust and black wood grain steering. I am delighted.
the BMW 745i was horrible, every drive i done with that car ended up in the stealer (dealer). the car had too much electronics and the repair cost was way over priced. everything in that vehicle had to be programmed by the dealer only. it was just a pocket digger to me and all of my friends that had them. we all freed ourselves from the nightmare, and now have s500 and s600. happy to be freeeeeeee!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nelson Chow,as Skylaw, I too enjoyed your story. I now live in USA, but I was born and raised in Albania (South-East Europe) halfway around the world from you, but I also experienced living in communism as a kid in the 1980's and early 1990's and I remember the feeling when I used to see diplomats driving around town in motorcades of black W126 560SEL's later to be seen in W140 S500 & S600's. I used to stop whatever I was doing playing soccer, walking to school or whatever and watch them drive by and tell myself that one day I would own one of those, not knowing how or when, but that one day I would. I too am an engineer and (even though I am biased toward Mercedes-Benz as a brand) I can honestly say that in my opinion they are the best cars especially the S class. My wife when I first met her, she thought that my fascination with these cars was a little strang, but now that she knows my story and that I won't buy any other car, she loves driving my S500, and she has become to love it. Every time she goes out she takes that, and now we are n the process of looking at th new GL550.
My advice to you is to keep the car if you love it as much as you seem you do, otherwise you already spent money to bring up to shape, and if you sell it, you will find yourself wanting another one and will eventually end up buying another one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nelson Chow,as Skylaw, I too enjoyed your story. I now live in USA, but I was born and raised in Albania (South-East Europe) halfway around the world from you, but I also experienced living in communism as a kid in the 1980's and early 1990's and I remember the feeling when I used to see diplomats driving around town in motorcades of black W126 560SEL's later to be seen in W140 S500 & S600's. I used to stop whatever I was doing playing soccer, walking to school or whatever and watch them drive by and tell myself that one day I would own one of those, not knowing how or when, but that one day I would.QUOTE]

So who was driving those cars in your country ?? Byroja Politike ?? I was born there as well :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts