Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of the 164s with the 4-Matic emblem at tha rear. Is it really needed or does MB feel that its already potent all wheel drive system is not properly advertized????? Personally, dump the badge, not required!!!! Just let the darn truck show it prowess by itself. Than again, I'm not in marketing!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
They want 4Matic to be associated with MB as much as Quattro is associated with Audi.

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
actually my 06 ML does not have the badge, neither do most before 06. Unfortunatley most of us rarely show our ML's off road prowess so maybe MB wants to show it for us

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
4Matic

BigKutta said:
actually my 06 ML does not have the badge, neither do most before 06. Unfortunatley most of us rarely show our ML's off road prowess so maybe MB wants to show it for us
They added the badge for '07. I'm neutral; don't need another badge on the rear, though. I'd say put a Quattro badge on and really confuse people!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am writing this response from Time Square in New York. I decided to take my ML on a road trip. I am comfortable so far with the trip. But to directly answer the question this post is about, I must say the badging is very important to "new" Mercedes owners. I have been vocal about my issues with my ML and the dealer.

It is reassuring that the badge is on the back. Personally when I saw the 06 without it and the price was 3,000 less, I assumed it did not have 4-Matic.

What if car companies started removing the words SRS or Airbag from the steering wheel or dash board? Consumers will think the car does not come with airbags (even though it is illegal in the states to sell new cars w/o airbags).

At the same time I wouldn't want my entire back end of my car covered in logos,features,etc. (That's why I told my dealer NOT to put their logo on my car, unless they want to sign an advertising contract with me :D )

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
arbittan said:
It is reassuring that the badge is on the back. Personally when I saw the 06 without it and the price was 3,000 less, I assumed it did not have 4-Matic.
With all due respect, that a bunch of nonsense. Why in the world would anyone buy a vehicle like a ML without knowing about the truck??? I guess some would. But then again, those are the ones who have no idea how ABS BAS, 4-ETS and XYZ even function, and would whine when they slip off the road while talking on the cell and drinking coffee!!!

arbittan said:
What if car companies started removing the words SRS or Airbag from the steering wheel or dash board? Consumers will think the car does not come with airbags (even though it is illegal in the states to sell new cars w/o airbags).
I feel sorry for those kinds of consumers. Again they fall in the category I described above and they should just stay away from driving, period - too much trouble to deal with them on the road!!! Notice that the ML doesn't tell you cruise is on when it set? Or when ABS is active, or when the outside mirrors are heated? I leave it to everyone to wonder the unconciously conscious minds in these situations. I just wish they'd take the darn thing off the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
In the midst of all the cost cutting, MB put the responsibility of personally knowing and learning the vehicle and everything and every feature, on us. I liked that Keep It Simple Stupid. Now with the greater threat of lawsuits, almost every single thing has a warning label and the dash lights up for almost anything you do (goes with all new cars). I think half of the manual is full of warnings and cautions. :mad:

I'm with you on this Darkmann. You shouldn't drive if you don't know how the simplest of things works. Which reminds me of a post I read on MBWorld where people don't do their homework:
MBWorld.org Forums - View Single Post - Is it me or ????

·
Registered
110 Posts
Darkman,
It is not the lack of not knowing the vehicle, but if you went to the slime-ball dealer I went to, you would really pissed when you were told certain things are in the car (just not labeled) and then to find out its not even in the car :eek:

The dealer's stance on this is, too bad so sad... If it is not written on the car, it is not on the car... hmmm. I would hate to get all lawyery on this topic but even in court I wouldn't have a case because it is not written, everything is verbal.

Like I said earlier, I don't want a million decals and logos, etc on my car but to some extent; it is the only way to cover your butt.

Again, let’s use the airbag example. If they stop putting the letters "SRS" on the passenger side, you get in an accident with someone in the passenger seat and the airbag doesn't go off, you don't really have a case (yes and no). One side of it could pan out on the news that “this passenger could have been alive if the driver had passenger-side airbags” Even if you pulled the dash on the car and it had airbags, technically since they didn’t deploy and there was no logo, you had no airbags!

The comment on not knowing the ML only came in 4-Matic, well you can call me a rookie buyer, but since Mercedes changed the base price from 38,000 to 42,000, I would think I am justified in thinking the ML had two transmission styles. Especially since the dealer had 4-Matic on some ’06 models. (Don’t know if they were aftermarket put ons).

Besides if anything, it does balance the car out in the back

------------------------------------
ML350 (O) 4-Matic
--------{ }---------

·
Registered
06 ml350
42 Posts
I believe the price increase from 06 to 07 was because they included the trim package as standard, also changing from 17 to 18 inch rims, heated rear seats and heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
There is a simple solution to this "problem". After purchase, pull the badges off. Case closed.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
soulsociety714 said:
all these discussion about 4matic, i still dont know what it means. -.-'
Mercedes-Benzes version of all-wheel-drive!!

Like how Audi has Quattro for their AWD system, and BMW has XDrive for their AWD system.

All have the same concept, but all are different mechanically and electronically!

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,323 Posts
All new ML's comes 4-Matic standard. Check below on the list for my thread about 4-Matic and the list of 4-Matic models available in Europe.

Eddie

·
Registered
2006/ML350
210 Posts
To those who removed their 4matic badge, let me know I'll buy it.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus RX330, 2007 B200 Turbo (Traded-in), 2010 ML350
293 Posts
The 4MATIC badge is absolutely necessary because the M-Class sold in some countries have a base model with front wheel drive. The 4MATIC sign provides the distinction.

·
Registered
C55 ///AMG
559 Posts
Remember, you can now buy the ML and R in just RWD form. Obviously those do not come with the 4matic badges.

And I am in marketing, and being able to differentiate yourself from the crowd when it comes to talking about comparative systems (Quattro, xDrive, Symmetrical AWD) is extremely important. Starting from 2005, MB had big plans to push 4matic vehicles, so making that connection for the consumers was important for branding purposes.

I personally just like that the badges are symmetrical, since there are ones on each side! I actually added a 4matic badge over 10 years ago to my W163 ML320 so I was ahead of the curve I suppose, LOL.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
The 4MATIC badge is absolutely necessary because the M-Class sold in some countries have a base model with front wheel drive. The 4MATIC sign provides the distinction.
The ML350 is now available in rear wheel drive, do not believe it was ever offered anywhere as a front wheel drive vehicle. The ML500 is offered only in 4 wheel drive as I believe is the diesel and the new hybrid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts