Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Greetings to all in Der BenzWelt! I would some opinions on tires for my C230. I'd like some tires that have good handling but a decent tread life... I was looking at the Kuhmo Ecsta 4X but have not made up my mind... Anyone care to share their experiences with their tire choices?

Thanks all!,
VCM230

·
Registered
'03 C240
13 Posts
Hey guys! Greetings to all in Der BenzWelt! I would some opinions on tires for my C230. I'd like some tires that have good handling but a decent tread life... I was looking at the Kuhmo Ecsta 4X but have not made up my mind... Anyone care to share their experiences with their tire choices?

Thanks all!,
VCM230
I just replaced my rear tires with Continental Extreme Contact DW and have only driven a few 100 miles on them. So far so good (knock on wood). They have good grip on dry and wet payment. I bought them from tire rack for a good price. Im thinking of getting the Michelin Pilot Sports for the front

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
Had Conti all-seasons on the car when I bought it, useless in the snow, slippery in the summer, handled like an old Buick. Changed to Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer (holy hell the car can handle now) and Dunlop winter sport 3D's for snow season (good handling not too much noise).

The Michelin's are by far the stickiest, best handling, and quietest tires I have ever had. I will be getting another set of these for the wagon I just picked up as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys... Yeah, my car has Contis in the front right now and I don't like them... BF's in the back due for replacement very soon, so I wanted to get a matched set of something better... I'll check out those Michelins... Was looking at Bridgestones as well...

·
Registered
05 C230 Kompressor Sedan--Mars Red,2001 Mazda Miata LS, & 2011 GMC Sierra Z-83 pick up
90 Posts

Thanks all!,
VCM230
I have the Kumho Ecsta 4X tires on my 05 C230 Kompressor Sport. 225/45/ZR17 XL 94 W extra load on the front and 245/40 ZR17 91 W on the rear. So far, very good grip and handling characteristics, zero road noise from tread, and seem to be wearing very evenly. Prices were very reasonable ( got them from Tire Rack delivered to my front door overnight)

In my opinion these are very good quality for the money spent. No complaints yet. Based on how these are now I will probably purchase these again when the car will need tires again..........................................Jon:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Kumho Ecsta 4X tires on my 05 C230 Kompressor Sport. 225/45/ZR17 XL 94 W extra load on the front and 245/40 ZR17 91 W on the rear. So far, very good grip and handling characteristics, zero road noise from tread, and seem to be wearing very evenly. Prices were very reasonable ( got them from Tire Rack delivered to my front door overnight)

In my opinion these are very good quality for the money spent. No complaints yet. Based on how these are now I will probably purchase these again when the car will need tires again..........................................Jon:thumbsup:
Thanks for your input, Jon! A few years ago I had a 2nd Gen RX-7 that I ran Kuhmo Ecstas on and I really liked them... I was actually hoping to hear from someone who was running Kuhmos on this type of car to get some feedback... Thanks again!
Vic

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just found a great buy on a set of Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS V rated, for my C240 and they look, drive and ride very nice. nothing fancy, nothing expensive but very good performance numbers and jet smooth on fresh balanced wheels.

Firestone has a great 4 for 3 sale on this month on Firehawks, including run flats. check em out.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Coupe 6 speed; 2015 E350 4Matic Sedan
105 Posts
I've run Kumho ASX tires and liked them, but they were very loud when old. Due to the camber of the steering I like tires that I can rotate side-to-side in the front. Currently running Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are nice for what they are but I need stickier tires for this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Walmart has Nexen N3000's - 225/45/17 are $88 each and 245/40/17 are $99 each plus sales tax, delivered to the store. Mounting is free, but you pay for balancing @~$6 per tire.

A set of 4 should run ~$420 installed. I haven't found a better deal for performance tires in this size. I've been running them on my C230 for about a year now and think they ride nice and quiet, better than the OE Conti's in my opinion, especially in the rain.

Before these, I ran Hankook Ventus HRII H405, which were about the same price, but I think those are discontinued now as none of my local shops had any in their warehouses.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
it depends on how you drive. since you live in an area where it doesn't snow you could get very sticky "summer" (ultra high/max performance) tires and use them year round. they will grip much better than any all season tires but will wear quicker. I have used Yokohama s-drives (two sets now) and am very happy with them. but if you are just cruising around you will get better value from all season tires which will last twice as long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've run Kumho ASX tires and liked them, but they were very loud when old. Due to the camber of the steering I like tires that I can rotate side-to-side in the front. Currently running Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are nice for what they are but I need stickier tires for this car.
So can I assume you're talking about the "normal" settings on the camber won't let you use a directional tire?? so I wonder if my C240 is like that? Still learning this fine automobile. In fact, my wife drove an X3 and she stole my C240. She much prefers the ride and handling of the 240 over her stiff, more sporty type suspension on the X-3. Don't matter to me, my primary daily driver is a Honda GoldWing since I drive 75 miles a day, I'm lovin the mpg. :)

·
Registered
'02 G500, '14 G550
95 Posts
I have run Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 (now 970) on both my C240 and a SLK320 for several years, extremely happy with them on dry and wet (never tried snow or ice). Both cars came with very good summer Michelin as OEM tires, but the Bridgestone are better on wet roads and last longer. I had a set of Bridgestone G009, now called G019, for a few years: good, no complaint, but the RE960 are really in a different class, much better.

You cannot go wrong picking high performance tires from either Bridgestone or Michelin, all season or summer depending on where you live, it's more a matter of personal feeling.

Michel

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Choosing tyres without researching the factors that are important to yourself (wear/wet grip/noise etc) is buying blind

This Tirerack guide might help if you have never looked at it - if you buy a tyre with a UTQG wear rating of 120 (2nd pic) you'll be replacing them within the year

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
81 Posts
I just got a set of Nitto Motivo. Interested to see if an Ultra High Performance tire can last 60,000 miles as advertised.

Got the 255/40/17 instead of the stock 245 for the rears, now my front and back tires have exactly the same height, instead of the being .2" shorter in the rear. Definitely recommend the 255, evens out the front and back nicely without looking too big. Only affects the speedometer about 0.7 mph off at 60 mph.

So far, tires are very quiet and good grip. Haven't gotten on them too hard or in the rain yet, Seems to have just a tad more sidewall flex than my old Falken 912, but that could be the taller sidewall in the rear as well. It is just barely noticeable. But, seems to suck up bumps nicely. So far, I like them.

Only got 25K miles out of the 912, which sucks for a 40K warranty tire. I didn't drive that hard on them. Rear tires went first, almost bald in the center.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
15 Posts
This is a timely topic, and one worth re-bringing up on a semi regular basis.

This is because tire models change so often, and since even one digit or letter difference in the model number seems to mean an entirely different tire, consumer reviews on TireRack etcetera are out of date rather quickly.

I would also be interested in reading anyone's experience with fuel economy with whichever tires they selected. To find a tire that's quiet, handles well, absorbs bumps and also doesn't cause a few less m.p.g.s (or higher l/100km) is my goal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am running a set of Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinums on my 4Matic C320. Rides smooth and quiet but they do have flat spots when cold (early mornings). They are decent in snow since the awd and ESP takes care of any slippage.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompresser Sport Coupe, 6-speed, leather, pano roof
110 Posts
Im running Michellin Primacys on my C230 Coupe. Great grip, smooth ride, and very quiet. Highly recommended

·
Registered
2005 MB C320
5 Posts
So can I assume you're talking about the "normal" settings on the camber won't let you use a directional tire?? so I wonder if my C240 is like that? Still learning this fine automobile. In fact, my wife drove an X3 and she stole my C240. She much prefers the ride and handling of the 240 over her stiff, more sporty type suspension on the X-3. Don't matter to me, my primary daily driver is a Honda GoldWing since I drive 75 miles a day, I'm lovin the mpg. :)
Hello. Can you or some one, Please elaborate on the "normal setting on the camber and directional" tires on a 2005 C320?
My car has 5 spokes Real 16 x 7.5" wheels and Goodyear fuel/max tires, last week I found two had being slashed. This 2 were replace with Directional Hankook Ventus V2 205/55 16 H, They are much quieter then the Goodyear's, and I was thinking about getting the remaining 2 Goodyear's replaced with 2 Hankook Ventus V2 225/50 16 V (no H speed rating aval.) and installing then in the rear, for a little added tread.

1- Are directionals OK?
2- Can I used the different series tire in the rear, with +/- 0.5"
3- or should I just get 2 matching Hankook tires for the front and at least be able to rotate front to back?
4- or ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
My '07 C230 SS recently had Michelin Pilot Sport Plus put on. If it had been me I would have opted for something with more grip....
Staggered 225/45R17 front and 245/40R17 rear

Hello. Can you or some one, Please elaborate on the compatibility of directional tires on a 2005 C320?
My car has 5 spokes Real 16 x 7.5" wheels and Goodyear Accuatread fuel/max 205/55 16H 89 load, 65K. tread 580 T/W, temp A, Traction A, M/S and with about 12K. miles, last week I found two had being slash. This 2 were replace with Directional Hankook Ventus V2 205/55 16 H 50K. load 91, T/W 500, temp A, traction AA M/S and place in the rear. They are much quiet then the Goodyear's, and I was thinking about getting the remaining 2 Goodyear's replaced now in front with 2 Hankook Ventus V2 225/50 16 and installing in the rear, for a little added tread.

1- Are directionals OK?
2- Can I used the different series tire in the rear, with +/- 0.5"
3- or should I just get 2 matching Hankook tires for the front and at least be able to rotate front to back?
4- or ?

Thanks
OK, it looks like you're considering tires that are staggered (different sizes front and rear). With staggered tires, you only rotate from one side to the other. IOW, LF and RF swap and LR and RR swap. Since those are directional tires, you cannot swap them per SOP as that would put the tires rotating in the wrong direction. The directionals you have on now cannot be rotated as it is.

My Infiniti Q45 had directional Kumhos when I purchased it and I replaced them with nearly the same tire. Since they were not staggered (same size tires on all four wheels) I was able to rotate from back to front and front to back on the same side (LF <--> LR, RF <--> RR). But with staggered tire sizes, that option is out, so you're stuck not rotating them at all.

If you were to get the same sized tires on the rear as the front you could rotate as I did. Otherwise, ff you're not interested in / worried about rotating, directionals should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2005 MB C320
5 Posts
My '07 C230 SS recently had Michelin Pilot Sport Plus put on. If it had been me I would have opted for something with more grip....
Staggered 225/45R17 front and 245/40R17 rear

OK, it looks like you're considering tires that are staggered (different sizes front and rear). With staggered tires, you only rotate from one side to the other. IOW, LF and RF swap and LR and RR swap. Since those are directional tires, you cannot swap them per SOP as that would put the tires rotating in the wrong direction. The directionals you have on now cannot be rotated as it is.

My Infiniti Q45 had directional Kumhos when I purchased it and I replaced them with nearly the same tire. Since they were not staggered (same size tires on all four wheels) I was able to rotate from back to front and front to back on the same side (LF <--> LR, RF <--> RR). But with staggered tire sizes, that option is out, so you're stuck not rotating them at all.

If you were to get the same sized tires on the rear as the front you could rotate as I did. Otherwise, ff you're not interested in / worried about rotating, directionals should not be a problem.
John, Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am aware that with staggered tires and wheels, I can only switch left to right, if "none directional".

Is just the statement in the earlier post, about the effect of directionals tires and this vehicles front suspension specs "may not" be compatible? I am do not know what he was alluding to?

Wheels: front & rear Real DF 16 x 7.5"
tires: Hankook's Ventus V2
rear tires: size- 225/50 16 V vs. front tire: 205/50 16 H
tread- 7.0" vs. 6.5"
speed rating- V vs. H
diameter- 24.9" vs. 25.0"
revs./mile- 834 vs. 831
load- 93/1389 lbs. vs. 91/1356 lbs.
tread wear- is 500 the same
temp- A the same
traction- AA the same

Less tire/tread life (mileage) do to the inability to rotate
I would not be able to rotate Front to back because the size difference
or side to side because they are Directional, left or right side only tires

If you have "opinions" please, reply before I commit and purchase the second set!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts