Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 S600 which I recently purchased. It has three keys that came with the car - two remote/flip keys and one master key. The master key is the only one that starts the car, the other two just crank it over.

I'm assuming the keys all have transponders, but not sure. Is this true for '96? If so, are the keys reprogrammable? Why would they lose the ability to start the car?

As I only have one key I can rely on, I need to find a cost effective solution. And while I'm sure my local stealer can do the job, and am pretty sure they don't fall into cost effective category. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
S600, 350SL, C300
124 Posts
WEIRD!!! I have a 1999 and the "transponder" deals only with the locking and alarm systems. If the key unlocks the ignition switch, the car should start. Use the master key to start the car and then without getting out of the car, try the other two flip keys. Do the flip keys lock/unlock the car remotely and activate the panic alarms?

Am I missing something here?[?] The dealership will hit you for about $175 for each of the transponders keyed to your car and about $17 for just the master or valet key. If you need another master key, be sure to bring your registration and driver license to the parts counter or they will not sell you a key.

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here's the scoop. Both the flip keys lock/unlock the vehicle, and toggle the alarm system. If I start the car with the master first, and as you have suggested, remain in the vehicle and try the flip keys the car will only crank - will not start. Also the red alarm light on the rear view mirror blinks. If I place the master key in the vicinity of the ignition ring (i.e. on top of the flip key in the ignition, the car will start. Removing the master from the vicinity of the ignition will not stop the vehicle, so I can drive the car, but once I shut off the ignition and try to restart with the flip key it will only crank. I can only think it is the transponders, but if so I am unaware what would cause them to fail. It would mean the master key also has a transponder, but then why would it be so cheap in comparison?

I'm confused... Appreciate any other help / ideas you might have!

·
Registered
S420
49 Posts
I'll bet I know what the problem is. This happened to me, and my wife, before we figured out what we had done. These jack knife keys with the button in the center are too easy to activate the alarm as you turn the key. Be very careful you aren't pushing the lock/unlock button as you turn the key. That's why the red & green lights are flashing. You're alarming the car, and it will not start with the alarm activated.

The master key you talk about must be the flat, plain key without the lock feature, right?

Let us know...

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good suggestion Ray. I just tried again, making sure I held it from the side only - but to no avail. Still just cranks and alarm lights blink.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
try unlocking the doors with the flip key. but dont use the button, accually use the key in the door first and try and start the car. my SL used to not start if i used the remote to unlock the doors.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
I think you need to sequence the keys..not sure but this is what I remember..
unlock with the master..sit in drivers seat point key towards mirror.. press unlock button.then lock button and hold ( for at least 240 seconds) . car will lock when it finds right sequence..

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still working on this. Unlocking the door with the master (without the IR Remote) resulted in the alarm going off a few seconds after getting in the car.

I did find some service bulletins that might be applicable, and will see if they help. Have to verify Model Year by Mfg date to see if I need to go back further. I posted below incase they are of benefit to anyone else:

04/96-3 GROUP 8O - MY 97. E420. RCL SYSTEM WITH DAS: The Model Year 97 E420 is equipped with the next generation of Drive Authorization System (DAS), which operates differently from the MY 96 version. The most notable new feature is the optical feedback to confirm locking or unlocking the vehicle - the hazard flashers will flash three times to confirm locking, and once to confirm unlocking. An additional feature is that, even if the customer accidentally locks the vehicle from inside the passenger compartment with the infrared remote key, the vehicle will still start if the correct key is used. This new DAS operates differently from the previous version. Embedded within each supplied key (two IR remotes, one master, and one flat key) is a small "transponder" microchip. A ring around the ignition lock contains an antenna connected to the ROL control module. Whenever the ignition is switched on, a very small pulse of energy is sent out from the antenna. Using this energy, the microchip transmits its identification code, which is received by the antenna If the correct code is received by ROL, the fuel injection system is enabled, the vehicle can be started, and. if the car was locked, it is unlocked. Of course, if the incorrect (or no) transponder code is received, the car will not start. As previously, all IR remote transmitters must be ordered by VIN. Additionally, the master and flat keys must now be ordered by VIN. Keys duplicated only mechanically - not supplied by Mercedes-Benz, therefore without the embedded microchip - will not be able to start the car. New part numbers apply. The present version of the HIT module (2.04) does not recognize this ROL module, so only DTCs without explanatory text can be read. We will obtain this DTC information and distribute it as soon as possible. Additionally, a more complete description of the system and its operation will be prepared.

22/96-7 GROUP 80 - ALL MODELS AS OF MY 1997. ENGINE DOES NOT START INTERMITTENTLY: In Model year 1997 vehicles produced before mid-August 1996, it is possible that the DAS system can intermittently prevent the engine from being started. In these cases, the red and green lamps in the rearview mirror will flash alternately, and DTC B1703 (Invalid Transponder) will be set in DAS (menu selection •'RCL (DAS2/X)" in HHT). The engine can be started easily in subsequent attempts, and the problem may be difficult to reproduce. This condition may be caused by a timing problem between the DAS module and the CAN Bus. If Diagnostic Manual testing reveals no other faults, then the DAS control module (210 820 3226) should be replaced. For a brief period, improved control modules may be marked with the letter "g" on the control niodule. Vehicles produced after mid-August are not affected. All spare parts are of the newest version, and must be ordered according to chassis number. For this condition, please use Damage Code 80601 73.

07/97-9 GROUP 80 - ALL MODELS AS OF MY 97, REPLACING DAS CONTROL MODULE: When the DAS control module is replaced, it is necessary that ALL of the IR transmitters and transponder keys be synchronized and initialized. Use the following procedure after replacing the DAS control module: Start engine, switch engine off, then cycle the key (ignition on/off) slowly six (6) times - this "Initializes" the Transponder. Perform Version Coding (only needed once). Additionally for IR transmitters, point at the IR receiver, press the transmit button twice, then switch ignition ON (within 30 seconds) - this "synchronizes" the IR Transmitter. Repeat the above procedure(s) for each key, except version coding which is performed only once. IMPORTANT NOTE: Once the new control module has been connected to the harness, the old control module must NOT be reconnected or installed, as this could lead to a fault in both modules.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Transponder Ignition Keys?

Ahh see you have all that modern tecky stuff..My keys are IR ..so I am on choppy water with that situation.. but it looks like you got the answer.. you need to cycle the ignition key system..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts