Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I refuse to pay $100 every 3000 miles for oil changes (Mobil One) any more. Any special techniques I need to understand so that I can change my own oil on 1991 560 SEC?
Thanks

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
There are many debates as to whether to drain the oil from the bottom or suck it from the top. I have no choice (have no contraptions that can lift the car and pessimism prevents me from getting under a 2-ton object) but to suck it from the top. I use Topsider MVP hand vacuum pump which can be bought from marine supply stores.
When changing oil, I add quart of oil at the end to help suck out remaining old oil.

I do however, take it to my mechanic once a year and at that time, have him change the oil along with list of items to be repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I had the same question when I first got my 420 SEL. Here's some links that should be very helpful:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1205046&posts=4&hl=oil+change

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195384&posts=21&hl=oil+change+tensioner

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
if u know how to drain fish aquarims.. then u can also change ur own oil.. btw Mobil1 is synthetic oil.. it can last more than 3000 miles i belive

other than that dont forget the filter. change it each time with oil

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,725 Posts
Ouch!!!! $100...whose has been doing your oil changes? The dealership charges me about $85 and I have a local oil change place that does it for about $50 but I bring the filter.
Mike

·
Registered
1988 420SEL, for sale
317 Posts
I have metal ramps that I drive up on, then getting under the car is no problem to drain the oil. This also gives me a chance to look around under there for any leaks or other problems.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
I used to go to Star Auto on York Road, Baltimore, MD for oil changes. First they used Mobil, then Quaker State. They always charged me $65.

Last time I went to the dealer - R & H motor cars (the only authorized service station in this area). Surprising he charged my only $40, inspite of all the fancy facilities provided to me when I was waiting. Any how the next time I went, he insisted on changing the head-gasket as it is leaking. He gave me a quote of $4500. I said I will wait for some time, but he told me it should be done in the next three or four months. So I don't think I want to go there again and get brain washed.

So I am planning to change my own oil next time. That will also save me a little bit of money. I am surprised that they are charging you $100! Professor changes his own oil, you can ask him about it.

(In the meantime, I will have to estimate how long I can survive with this oil leak. Then I will have to look for a private mechanic for the head gasket change).

Yours,

Ramesh.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
My wife asked me what I wanted for father's day last year and I told her to get me a 3 ton hydraulic jack which included 2 jack stands, 2 wheel chocks, lug nut wrench, jumper cables and a mechanic's rolling seat with bottom tray to hold tools. Only cost $89.00. It was the best investment for lifting the heavy benz. Whenever I need my mechanic's assistance, he loves it because we work on the car behind my house and just roll out the jack and go to work. I purchased mine from Sears.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Here's a link to the web site for the jack. It looks like that deal is not the same though.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00950148000

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Its realy not that far of a reach, just loosen it w/ an open end wrench, scoot the collection pan under and twist the bolt off.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Doesn’t everyone change his own oil???….

Prochambers - 5/16/2005 2:54 PM

My wife asked me what I wanted for father's day last year and I told her to get me a 3 ton hydraulic jack which included 2 jack stands, 2 wheel chocks, lug nut wrench, jumper cables and a mechanic's rolling seat with bottom tray to hold tools. Only cost $89.00. It was the best investment for lifting the heavy benz. Whenever I need my mechanic's assistance, he loves it because we work on the car behind my house and just roll out the jack and go to work. I purchased mine from Sears.

I have the same thing – jack stands are the safest way to go under the car.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Ramesh,
There are two independent Mercedes mechanics on the east side of town.
1) is in Fallston, Dietz's mercedes repair, right on US rte 1.
2) is between Abingdon and Edgewood, right near the intersection of MD24 and I95. Its in the little industrial park. If you know where the MacDonalds burned down a few years ago, its right acroos the street. This is Cignati's.
Both come highly recommended.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
I change it myself using an electric pump to suck it out of the dipstick. Works great. Can't use the drain plug because it is stripped to hell, and the last thing I want to do is be forced to purchase a new oil pan. Just did another change last night.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ramesh - 5/17/2005 1:45 AM

I used to go to Star Auto on York Road, Baltimore, MD for oil changes. First they used Mobil, then Quaker State. They always charged me $65.

Last time I went to the dealer - R & H motor cars (the only authorized service station in this area). Surprising he charged my only $40, inspite of all the fancy facilities provided to me when I was waiting. Any how the next time I went, he insisted on changing the head-gasket as it is leaking. He gave me a quote of $4500. I said I will wait for some time, but he told me it should be done in the next three or four months. So I don't think I want to go there again and get brain washed.

So I am planning to change my own oil next time. That will also save me a little bit of money. I am surprised that they are charging you $100! Professor changes his own oil, you can ask him about it.

(In the meantime, I will have to estimate how long I can survive with this oil leak. Then I will have to look for a private mechanic for the head gasket change).

Yours,

Ramesh.
If your mechanic wants $4500 for a head gasket job, inform him that you're not interested in financing his Hawaiian vacation.

My mechanic charges a shade under $50 for oil and filter change. More importantly, he doesn't blindly just change the oil and filter. He really also checks to see if anything needs to be corrected elsewhere. This info and protection is well worth the $50.He needs to make a living, but unlike a MB dealer or alot of indys, he loves the MBs and wants them to run like a fine watch.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
27 Posts
ME! I love changing my own oil(s) in my vehicles, as it keeps me in touch with the underneath of my Benz. I buy filters (Mann) from a dealer online for $5.95 each in lots of 3 and have been using Rotella T 15W-40 grade oil. It is not synthetic, I save that for my big Ford diesel.
I do use a floor jack with a jack stand for safety. My drain plug has been renewed recently and what a difference! I recommend replacing your drain plug as soon as it shows signs of stripping, not after it is stripped! It is an inexpensive way to feel safe that the thing won't be falling out at 100 + mph vibrations.

Oil is $1.78 per quart X 8 and filter is $5.95
do math and save!

Goody

·
Registered
84 300D; 85 380SE
75 Posts
Do my own changes. I know it's done right, and I don't have to go through the dino/synth argument either.

For shadetree mechanics, the plug (13 mm) can be easily reached without jacking, just need a pan, and gloves are a good idea too. Change it hot; Change the filter. 15-20 minutes of intimacy with your car -- cheap date,
good insurance.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Im actually changing my oil tonite when I come from work. I use a topsider oil extractor.

vwbuge....did u get that! Im doing the oil change myself!![:)]

[}:)]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts