Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from London. I was just amazed at the large number of fine high end German cars on the road there: BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Rolls Royce, Bently......

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Chuck,<br> My belief is that if Germany had the natural resources to sustain thier war effort during WWII, we'd all be speaking German right now. There is no doubt that Germany has produced the finest engineers during our time (hell, a German guy came up with the E=Mc(2) and laid the foundation for the first nuclear weapon, Germans built the first jets and missiles, and have horny and hot blonde chicks. They also produce three of the five best cars available in any market((MBZ, BMW, VW))-we gotta give them aryans thier props...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Thx

Depends on what 'war' you are referring to....if it's the 'auto war' then the Japanese are winning right now based on total volume or dollars.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Japanese won?

Sorry! i dont agree.<br> What about the class, the culture and the style of building cars? <br> In my opinion, the japs didn´t reach us.<br> <br> I say. 'in my opinion'.<br> I´m sure someone else did´nt agree with me.<br> <br> Sorry about my bad grammar ;-)<br> <br> Oliver

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Japanese won?

I've spent my career working with the car companies in all three markets and no doubt the culture and the style is very different from NA, to Europe, to Japan. My favorite customer is Mercedes. They really value technology. They are constantly looking for ways to improve the safety, comfort, and convenience of their products and don't mind paying for it. In NA, the car companies aren't real interested unless you are giving it away. In Japan, it’s difficult to innovate unless you have a Japanese partner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Chuck,<br> <br> They tell a joke, about what Heaven and Hell would be like if they were in Europe. It goes like this:<br> <br> In European Heaven:<br> <br> the Police are British,<br> the cooks are French,<br> the mechanics are German,<br> the lovers Italian,<br> and everything is organized by the Swiss.<br> <br> in Hell, on the other hand,<br> <br> the cooks are British,<br> the mechanics are French,<br> the Police are German,<br> the lovers Swiss,<br> and everything is organized by the Italians!<br> <br> This joke tells it all, but I have a much funnier (and scarier, if you think about it the right way) story about who really won the war.<br> <br> In the summer of 1945, my father, who had been a bomber pilot for eighth Air Force, was stationed at what was then SHAEF (Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Forces), and is now SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers Europe), and he was the official allied observer sent to the following ceremony: the rump German government had decided, in cooperation with the restored French Government, to each raise a flag at the borders of the province of Alsace (which is one of the two provinces the French and the Germans have been fighting over for over half a millenium, because of the coal and ore they contain). Two flagpoles had been erected on either side of the restored border, on top of a hill where they could be seen for miles. The ceremony was scheduled for 9:00 AM.<br> <br> At 8:15AM, the stirring strains of a military band, playing “Duetschlund Uber Alles,� were heard from the German side, counterpointed by the measured tramp of booted feet. A column of troops hove into view, in regulation field-gray, with trouser creases you could shave with, and boots you could use for the shaving mirror! They were wearing service caps instead of helmets (the war was over, after all!)—and a regulation Mauser rifle over each shoulder!<br> <br> Now, at this point in time in occupied Germany, rifles were just slightly more illegal than heroin, so my father hustled over to see what in ^&%$* was going on. At a barked order from the commanding officer, a trooper presented his weapon to my father—and it proved to be carved entirely of wood, a harmless fake—BUT SO WELL WERE THE SUPPOSEDLY METAL PARTS BLACKENED WITH SHOE POLISH THAT IT HAD DECEIVED MY FATHER UNTIL HE ACTUALLY HAD IT IN HIS HANDS!<br> <br> A few more questions from my father revealed the following information: since the German Government in Berlin had no resources or money for the undertaking (where would they get anything? This was only a month or two after Germany had been virtually bombed off the map!), they had simply sent a letter to the German town nearest to the site of the proposed project, with the following orders: build a suitable flagpole, and raise one company of soldiers for the ceremony! There were no surviving veterans in the town, but apparently any breathing German can march as well as a ruddy Buckingham Palace Guard in his sleep if need be! (my father noticed that none of the “soldiers� was under sixty or over sixteen!). The women in the town had made the uniforms and flag, the men had carved their own rifles and supplied the warm bodies, and the whole town had scrounged the materials for the flagpole! (as opposed to the flagpole on the French side, which had been contracted to the finest of French construction companies, mostly paid for by American money, with the results that we shall see!).<br> <br> At a further barked order, the Germans fell into perfect formation, and my somewhat bemused father returned to his place by the reviewing stand and everyone settled in to wait.<br> <br> They waited over two and a half hours.<br> <br> At nearly 11:00AM (almost two hours late), ragged footsteps were finally heard from the French side. No band this time. No rifles (real or fake). No formation, either, just fifty-odd Frenchmen straggling along, mostly in uniform. All of them were in regulation tunics, but most of them had theirs buttoned wrong, and over half of them had no hats, or blue jeans and sneakers instead of uniform trousers (the war was over, after all!).<br> <br> My father is a man of positively Germanic self-control: he managed to avoid laughing out loud.<br> <br> The German flag rose in time with the beat of a drum: Pahrump! Pahrump! Pahrump-pump!<br> <br> The French flag wobbled and squeaked, and got STUCK halfway up!<br> <br> Twenty minutes of hauling on the rope merely succeeded in snapping it—with the French flag still stuck at half-mast. They finally decided to lower the German flag to half-mast to match it, and this was considered to be appropriate, since the flags were there to honor the dead, after all!<br> <br> Someone tell me again, who won the war?<br> <br> <br> Now, if that’s the kind of showing the Germans can make less than two months after having the crap kicked out of them in the greatest war in Human history (and where it basically took the WHOLE REST OF THE PLANET TO DO THE KICKING!), just think of what they’ve been doing with fifty-odd years of peace to work with. I will say just one thing: if this planet ever gets invaded by aliens, we’ll all be damned glad the Germans are still around!<br> <br> Sincerely,<br> <br> Lt. Commander Rex A. Brocki<br> United States Coast Guard Reserve<br> (and former U.S.A.F.), retired.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A very interesting story! And entirely consistent with my own contemporary experiences traveling and doing business in France and Germany!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts