Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DO!!!
My 4spd auto is starting to go in my 81TD and I've always promised myself that if (or, as we all should admit WHEN) it did I was going to put in a 5spd man. Well, it didn't take long to that I was going to end up tears before all is said and done. The 5spd man was a euro only option and almost none of them made it to the US. I've talked to tons of fanatics (many of you included) and one has NEVER been found in a bone yard. You can get one from MB rebuilt....for $2700. That still leaves you to get all the linkage and pedals.
I want input from everyone here!! Who has a 4spd man in their 300D?! Is it better enough than the auto that I could put one in instead of a 5spd? And does anyone have any idea if a 190E/D 5psd would bolt up? They shared production in 84/85 w/ 123 as well as shift levers and steering wheels. What about putting in the 4spd in and changing the rear end out to a higher ratio? Would you lose too much off the line?
I am calling all die-hards here and anyone else with an opinion. I know you all would love a 5spd, even if you don't want a stick. Imagine going down the highway @ 70+MPH with rpm's less than 5000 [}:)]!!! And if that doesn't turn you on imagine getting that extra 10mpg that that ONE more gear would get you[8D]!
Now leave your 2 cents!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I have a 4 speed in my 77 240D, a strong #3, could be a 2 without much work, selling it; v...

I have a 4 speed in my 77 240D, a strong #3, could be a 2 without much work, selling it; very few clean 123's with a stick, and quite fun to drive, except
in heavy big city stop and go traffic. Things such as nitwits going right up to the back bumper while stopped at a light on a steep hill.

I am the only one that really likes the stick, wife daughter and son do not. It can generate greater performance by manually shifting. On my 83 300D Euro auto, I have they shift points set high using the vacuum modulator. It gives the performance of a stick with the ease of an automatic.

The 4 speed shifter on MBZ is no Hurst either, slow
and easy like an old pick up truck.

So I am selling my stick, but would keep it in a rural/semi rural driving area. Sticks are also rock solid reliable.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
4spd.

Hi I don't know if you remember me, but we exchanged some emails a while back about MB's. I have no idea how to do the conversion, but if you need a 4spd manual, I know where there is one.
Let me know,
-Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.