Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
61,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
This. Is. Huge...

Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on pivotal public health step to dramatically reduce smoking rates by lowering nicotine in combustible cigarettes to minimally or non-addictive levels

Despite years of aggressive efforts to tackle the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the United States, tobacco use – largely cigarette smoking – still kills more than 480,000 Americans every single year. Tobacco use also costs nearly $300 billion a year in direct health care and lost productivity. In fact, cigarettes are the only legal consumer product that, when used as intended, will kill half of all long-term users. Given their combination of toxicity, addictiveness, prevalence and effect on non-users, it’s clear that to maximize the possible public health benefits of our regulation, we must focus our efforts on the death and disease caused by addiction to combustible cigarettes.

The ANPRM being issued today provides a wide-ranging review of the current scientific understanding about the role nicotine plays in creating or sustaining addiction to cigarettes and seeks comments on key areas, as well as additional research and data for public review, as we continue our consideration of developing a nicotine product standard. We’re interested in public input on critical questions such as: what potential maximum nicotine level would be appropriate for the protection of public health? Should a product standard be implemented all at once or gradually? What unintended consequences – such as the potential for illicit trade or for addicted smokers to compensate for lower nicotine by smoking more – might occur as a result? As we explore this novel approach to reducing the death and disease from combustible cigarettes, it’s critical that our policies reflect the latest science and is informed by the input we receive from our meetings with stakeholders, comments to the open public docket and future opportunities for comment.

I love me a progressive government that works for the people, not corporations.

Thanks Trump. :)

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,176 Posts
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

F.D.A. Seizes Documents From Juul Headquarters / NYT

“The new and highly disturbing data we have on youth use demonstrates plainly that e-cigarettes are creating an epidemic of regular nicotine use among teens,” the F.D.A. said in a statement. “It is vital that we take action to understand and address the particular appeal of, and ease of access to, these products among kids.”
Many adult consumers of e-cigarettes say the devices have helped them move away from smoking traditional cigarettes, or quit entirely. But a growing number of teenagers who have never smoked are also turning to e-cigarettes, believing that they are relatively harmless products.

But though e-cigarettes do not have the carcinogens that come from burning tobacco, they, especially Juul, can have strong concentrations of nicotine, which is highly addictive, and detrimental to the developing adolescent brain.

·
Registered
61,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Neither good or bad... clickbait.

All FDA inspections of vapor manufacturers have been "surprise" as a standard, in the sense that they are unscheduled and not coordinated with the manufacturer ahead of time.

Also, Juul walked them through their processes. This is also pretty standard, and during the inspection the FDA can and will take pictures, ask for copies of files, and request documentation of standard operating procedures. "Seized" is a loaded term that suggests when the subject is cooperating.

F.D.A. officials described the surprise inspection as a follow-up to a request the agency made for Juul’s research and marketing data in April. Kevin Burns, Juul’s chief executive officer, said the company had already handed over more than 50,000 pages of internal documents to the F.D.A. in response to that request.

This article could probably be written simply as "vaping manufacturer has a standard inspection and turned over documents related to the inspection" but it wouldn't get as many clicks.

Most importantly, I thought conservatives were against big government and regulations... the mango seems to have done a number on the GOP. Lost in the wilderness, as it were.

·
Moderately subtle
11,988 Posts
There's a lot of folks right and left that view your hobby as just a different way of "smoking" which has been demonized, so it's easy to pick on despite the clear advantages to the individuals who switch to it and everyone in their vicinity. The drum beat of misinformation spread by competitors (tobacco and pharmaceutical companies) and government (loss of tax revenue) has been pretty strong to shape public opinion against it. No clearer example of the FDA regulating to protect market share exists, and it is far from the only example.

·
Registered
61,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
From a health point of view, although addictive and dangerous to fetuses, nicotine is not the problem but rather all the other crap and carcinogens in cigarettes.

I rather them have a clean delivery method than to light up cigarettes like we all smokers did for generations. I was doing a pack a day by 15 and I wish vaping had been around then.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Vaping helped me immensely when I quit, now in all fairness that was because my initial vape pen was a giant piece of shit that would generally give me one or two "puffs" before squirting vile liquid into my mouth causing me to have to stop what I was doing for ten minutes and cursing take it all apart, clean it carefully and put it back together again, it gave me something to be angry about and something to do for ten minutes every hour, I doubt I would have been able to quit without that

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Entertaining for sure...and far too much smoking going on in his spare time....Isn't it supposed to make all involved more mellow ?

I want to see the next installment.

·
Registered
61,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
The debate over the potential harms and benefits of vaping has raged on for years. But the results of a large trial in the UK have provided the pro-vaping side its biggest win yet. It found that people trying to quit smoking were almost twice as likely to succeed over a year’s time if they used electronic cigarettes compared to people who stuck to typical nicotine replacement therapy.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1808779?query=featured_home

·
Moderately subtle
11,988 Posts
Good that scientists with PHD's are getting involved, but the narrative is way out of the barn those things are "as harmful as cigarettes" and flavors "hook the children on nicotine and is a gateway to normal smoking" etc etc. Bad policy during the Obama administration allowed bad science to get published so that pharmaceutical and tobacco companies could maintain market share and get regulations written intended to squash the threat, at least until they could own it.

Oh well, what next?

·
Registered
61,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Idiots... don't they know almost $20 a pack in some places doesn't stop people from smoking?

"What we know is that these e-cigarettes are incredibly addictive," said Rep. George Till, a Democrat from Jericho. "Nicotine is very addictive. These deliver more nicotine than regular tobacco products do and we know that kids who start with these are four times more likely to become regular smokers."

And by removing ecigs he's making it more likely for them to become smokers even faster.

141 - 160 of 200 Posts
About this Discussion
199 Replies
28 Participants
GreenT
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing