Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC AMG
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 560 SEC and the engine needs to be rebuilt. Who should rebuild my engine? and can I use this opportunity to upgrade my engines output with performance parts? What should I do?

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
If it needs a rebuild try looking for a shop that deals with MB's. It seems MB's are a beast all to themselves in the repair area. As to preformence parts, goto BOW-WOW parts store, they deal with a lot of eruro cars in the preformance area.

Tho if you have the cash, start with a new crate motor, that way you have a total fresh start, with a nice fresh new motor.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
TheRazz - 4/27/2005 3:10 PM

If it needs a rebuild try looking for a shop that deals with MB's. It seems MB's are a beast all to themselves in the repair area. As to preformence parts, goto BOW-WOW parts store, they deal with a lot of eruro cars in the preformance area.

Tho if you have the cash, start with a new crate motor, that way you have a total fresh start, with a nice fresh new motor.
Razz, please stop giving advice. I cringe at every one of your posts. I'm sure you are well meaning, but you don't really have any knowledge of Mercedes. So, sit back, read and learn.

Morris, a crate motor can be had for about $6,000. a quality rebuild by an independent MB shop would be 1/2 of that. Unfortunately,I don't know anyone in your area. Take your time in finding a quality shop.

Your performance upgrades are limited. Anew rear end ratio will change your acceleration performance. A new AMG 6.0 later 32 valve motor could be dropped in a considerable expense. Personally, supercharging intrigues me. Alot of bang for the buck, with no real downside. If you find this interesting, talk to Supercharged SEC.

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
I have heard good things about Metric Motors at www. mercedesengine.net. They can do a high compression Euro Spec rebuild as well. I believe this shortens their waranty from three years to two years however.
The last time I spoke to them the price was about $7500 dollars if you pull and install the engine.

You would still need to locate euro exhaust manifolds (I have heard about $1500) and www.timken.com can provide the exhaust from the manifolds to the tail pipe to get the full effect of the extra horsepower.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ibelieve Jonathan has a beautiful pair of euro manifolds for $500.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
lyrics10 - 4/27/2005 4:16 PM

Mrtikket,
do you know a good quality shop in northern california.
What are you near? Living in California you are lucky, as there are quite a few quality MB repair facilities. We have a place in Souther CA, that I never get to. Northern CA is so different, like another state.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
MorrisTigerson69 - 4/27/2005 3:01 PM

I have a 1991 560 SEC and the engine needs to be rebuilt. Who should rebuild my engine? and can I use this opportunity to upgrade my engines output with performance parts? What should I do?
I know a first rate re-builder located on Long Island. I send him all my heads from down here in Atlanta.. My father used him for all his race/restoration work for 30 years. He specializes in MB, first generation German who knows these engines backwards and forwards.

Please contact me off list if you would like his information.

And yes, I do have Euro manifolds... My machinest will build up a Euro spec motor if you are interested.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
Tiger,

I have just gone through the same analysis.

I have a 1990 560 SEC with almost 200K miles on it. A few weeks back I took it in for service and basically got the message that it was time to choose between:
- Rebuilding the engine
- Replace with a used engine with lower mileage
- Replace with a re-manufactured engine
- Put a V12 from a 600 SL in it as Satish just did.[:D]

I decided not to rebuild the original engine because it has already 200k on it and the fact that coolant had entered the oil made me weary of what the internals of the engine looked like. Besides, it was going to cost about $4,500 to have the work done.

I decided against a used engine because, as OCStrider put it; why buy Someone Else's' Problem (SOP). If you don't know the history of the engine you are buying, there can be some nasty surprises.

I contacted Metric Motors, Adsit and Noel:
http://www.mercedesengines.net/500s.htm
http://www.adsitco.com/catalog/default.asp?CID=24
http://noels.com/MERCEDESBENZENGINES.htm

They can all provide you with a re-manufactured engine with warranty (Adsit is one year, Noel and Metric have 4 year/50k miles) for about $5,000 to $7,500. Then you have to add about $1,500 - $2,000 for the Remove & Replace.

Apart from adding a supercharger, there really isn't a whole lot that can be done that will make a significant difference in performance.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts