Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tried e-bay yet but my local dealer says they don't carry that tool and I can't get anything from Duvalmotors (a reference from the stickys). I could use the coat hanger approach but the tools are inexpensive enough and I have all winter to fix my cluster.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
try member ohlord. i got a kit from him which also included the radio removal tool.
definitely a better idea than coat hangars, imo.
paul

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Ebay is fine for these. Duval sold me mine and they were like $30 with the radio keys. They're quite nice, but way expensive.

Last time I checked Harbor Freight had a set of keys and cluster tools for about ten bucks.

Coat hanger is really too thick, you may mar up the dash next to the cluster. If you want to make them, get some piano wire about .030 thick and bend a 1/4" hook (about 160 degrees) into each end of it. You can buy a yard of it for a couple bucks if that, then cut it in half or whatever so you have two tools, that makes it easier. Hardest part is holding it to pull the cluster because it will want to cut into your hands.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
EBay has the genuine hooks for like $32, spring steel and ultimate coool for 1st time cluster pop outs.

Also have the kit from ohlord.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2001 E430
195 Posts
You can drop the under dashboard cover with simple hand tools and reach up and push the cluster out from behind with your hand. Takes a few minutes longer then the cluster tool but its still pretty easy.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,581 Posts
Coat hanger worked for me. Once you have done it once, it will be easy every other time. Far more efficient than dropping the under panel.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Coat hanger works good, however you don't even need that! Just remove the panel underneath the dash (the flimsy black one in the area of the accelerator (couple of screws). This will allow you to be able to reach the cluster from underneath and behind the cluster. Just push it out from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wish I had a picture but alas, I used two dollar store nail files, the type with the curved nail cleaning end,,, worked like a charm on the radio etc... in and out in seconds. E320 1999.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Sedan
494 Posts
Self-made cluster removal tool

These are the tools that I made myself. I, too, found that the steel wire from a dry cleaner's coat hanger I had was more than strong and rigid enough for this purpose. I broke/cut the straight bottom part into two pieces. One end I bent into a tiny hook (really only a 90° angle), the other into a handle to insert one or two fingers for pulling. I bent that end of the wire so that it pointed into the same direction as the small hooks in order to know how the latter are oriented when inserted.

These 'tools' worked perfectly well--inserting them and pulling out the cluster could hardly have been easier.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts