Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I hit some crap in the road and it pops out that passenger side cover just below the bumper (I'm assuming its the tow eye cover). I'm looking on-line, but can't find it... at all. Its just a plastic panel 10" x 5" (give or take).
Anybody know, besides the brick&mortar dealer, where I can get one ?

Also, I need my Foglight bulb replaced, but don't SL600s have HID Fogs ? I'm seeing Hella H1 as a replacement, but they're just Halogens... Am I wrong here that nobody sells HID bulbs either (or are they not HID) ?

Thanks Again !!!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The 600s have projector-beam foglights, but they're halogen not Xenon, so those ones you found should work fine.

As to the tow hook cover, good luck finding that anywhere besides the dealer. That is probably the most commonly lost/replaced part on the entire car, and I looked everywhere before finally throwing in the towel and ordering it from the parts dept. for $260.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Hello guys,

have been searching for a few weeks for a tow hook cover myself! Stole the following tip from another thread (thanks Lynns):

Tow hook cover p/n A1298800005

Go to Parts.com - For every part of your life for $53.13

My problem was that they won't ship to Holland.... Eventually, I contacted the MB dealer in Amsterdam and ordered a new one for 78 Euro's. It will be painted in the original color of the bumper!

I don't think that is to much for a new part that will be spray painted aswell.

Good luck with the search!

Willem

P.S. I will make sure that the cover will never drop off again!

·
Registered
346 Posts
OK, so I hit some crap in the road and it pops out that passenger side cover just below the bumper (I'm assuming its the tow eye cover). I'm looking on-line, but can't find it... at all. Its just a plastic panel 10" x 5" (give or take).
Anybody know, besides the brick&mortar dealer, where I can get one ?

Also, I need my Foglight bulb replaced, but don't SL600s have HID Fogs ? I'm seeing Hella H1 as a replacement, but they're just Halogens... Am I wrong here that nobody sells HID bulbs either (or are they not HID) ?

Thanks Again !!!

Check out ebay and do a google search on Mercedes Junk yards. Many do online transactions, and are likely to sell parts at a pretty good discount from new..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Thanks Again !!!
I changed my foglight bulbs to the xenon gas filled halogens readily available on ebay very cheaply. The difference is worth every penny, no more yellow, matches the Hid`s perfectly. My bulbs on the AMG lamps were H3`s
eBay Motors: H3 Xenon HID Superwhite Halogen Bulbs Headlamp 100W NIB (item 130197025175 end time Feb-16-08 11:05:41 PST)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to re-tie my passenger side cover. the plastic tie was connected to the wire mesh. The wire mesh was ready to fall off. One screw holding the mesh. Anyway, my question is, the mesh for the cover on the driver side has a small (about an inch long) electrical sensor/antenna-like thing sticking out. What is this thing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello guys,

have been searching for a few weeks for a tow hook cover myself! Stole the following tip from another thread (thanks Lynns):

Tow hook cover p/n A1298800005

Go to Parts.com - For every part of your life for $53.13

My problem was that they won't ship to Holland.... Eventually, I contacted the MB dealer in Amsterdam and ordered a new one for 78 Euro's. It will be painted in the original color of the bumper!

I don't think that is to much for a new part that will be spray painted aswell.

Good luck with the search!

Willem

P.S. I will make sure that the cover will never drop off again!
53.13 must be in Euros. I just went to that site and it is $85 USD.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Now parts.com is down this morning...

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for them. I REALLY loved their site. It was heads and tails above anything else on the internet.

ETA: The site is back up now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question from a newbie. Does the driver side cover come off like the passenger side? If so, I need to tie it down too. I've read on other posts, the mesh can also cost up to 50 usd.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tow hook covers easy to loose particularly if one's wife refuses, by some inane principle, to reverse into spaces and accidently 'nudges' the front bumper on a kerb when parking.

Ever since then I always fix one side of the tow hook cover with a thin black cable tie. Hardly noticeable and if it does pop out it's left hanging there for a handy re-fix.

Fixing the wife's parking / reversing might be more tricky of course....

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
I don't see them on Parts.com. Do you guys have the sport edition? The AMG Sport covers are different from the stock model.
Please see missing Tow Hook Cover pictures below.
The picture w/o the plate is the AMG Sport bumper.

Please see R129 AMG Sport p/n's

AMG Tow Hook Cover unpainted medium gray w/ black mesh screen
WA1298800405, right $355.28 w/ S&H from Parts.com (passenger side)
WA1298800305, left $355.28 w/ S&H from Parts.com

Standard Tow Hook Cover
p/n 1298800005 @ $111.77 w/ S&H in the US or
p/n A1298800005 if out of the US

Note: always supply your VIN when ordering from Internet sites like OEM @ Parts.com

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lost tow cover

My front grill tow cover fell off somewhere on the way to work. Thought it was on better since it had come loose several times in the past, but the nylon strap had always prevented it from falling off. Anyway, does anyone have one for a 98 SL500? I'm gonna make sure the new one doesn't fall off!!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It seems you hadn't that happen the first time so you know the drill.
$106 at the dealer if you are lucky you find it in your color otherwise it comes primed to paint

Ulf

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Tow Hook Cover

O.K $12 cheaper ,but I was lucky and the dealer had one in black, parts.com have them only primed
Picked up my 2000 SL500 (SL1 & SL2) in April. After reading many posts about lost tow hook covers, that was the first item addressed. I used a electrical connector and a length of flexible wire and used the screw that holds the mesh in place. (see attached photo)
An added comment, the quality of the AMG front and rear bumpers IMO is very poor and cannot compare to the OEM Mercedes counter parts, the result being lost tow hook covers.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
An added comment, the quality of the AMG front and rear bumpers IMO is very poor and cannot compare to the OEM Mercedes counter parts, the result being lost tow hook covers.
Thanks for the 'electrical wire connector' suggestion (and picture to boot)!

I'm not sure I understand the above Quote. Would you please clarify what you mean by the above "added comment"?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Tow Hook Cover

Thanks for the 'electrical wire connector' suggestion (and picture to boot)!

I'm not sure I understand the above Quote. Would you please clarify what you mean by the above "added comment"?
Happy to. Pull off the cover on the sport R129 and examine it, does it look like a quality part, compare it to the cover on a W202 which has tethers so it can't get lost. Examine the standard R129 tow hook covers and how they are held in place. The rear bumper cutout has no shoulder or frame to lend strength, same holds true of the undersurface edge , no lip
to add rigidity. Just my opinion, but judge for yourself, compare the standard R129 to the sport version. compare on the basis of fit and finish. Take a poll, why do so many sport models loose the tow hook cover and how many are lost on the standard version.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts