Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who needs parktronic?

I didn't until I tried to park the SLK in my garage, unfortunetly I didn't specify it as an option. It wasn't cost but mainly because I don't like all the holes it puts on the bumper. I must admit though I didn't realise that the SLK's bonnet is so long. The problem is I have to park the car as far forward in my garage as possible so that I can open the door in between the pillars on the wall.

Just before I got the car I really started to get worried about pranging it whilst parking. Many people on this forum probably don't know but in the UK most garages are just slightly bigger than the car you are parking, one mistake and you've done hundreds of pounds of damage. My brother lives in the US and his garage is as big as my house.

I considered many parking aids including marking the wall, tennis ball on string etc, but they were all much too low-tech and simple, so I gathered some bits from the loft and heh presto "Light Guided Infra-Red Parking Aid".

Basic Operation:

1) Drive into garage, light on far wall comes on
2) Keep driving, when car is in position light switches off.

Similiar to a car wash.

I've been using this for method for the last couple of months and it's been spot on perfect every time.

Pics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Talking about lofts! I've recently converted mine, and insulated it with Kingspan polyurathane foam - I had an 8 x 4 sheet left over, and I've put this at the top end of my garage against the workbench. Now, when I drive in, I just ease up to the foam, and when I see it just move, I know I'm home[:D]

p.s. I wish I had specced parktronic - I know there is so little car behind the seats, but when I back it up to a wall, & I think I'm nearly touching it, I park/lock up, get out, and find I'm miles away[:I]

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry I'm exactly the same. The car does have very different proportions than any other car I've had. The first time I got petrol I drove up to the pump got out and then had to get back in and reverse several feet as I was nowhere near the petrol cap. Ruined the whole trying to look cool thing.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Now that is brilliant [8D]

Went for the parktronic myself - complete rubbish at DIY me. [xx(]

The holes in the bumpers are not as obtrusive as I thought they would be, like you I did worry they would spoil the look of the car - fortunately they are really subtle, not the big holes / ridges seen on cars from a few years ago.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
None of our American friends on this post - obviously their land is bigger than our land (or they're all still in bed !!)

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
They are probably laughing at the fact that our garages are smaller than their SUVs - everthing is bigger over there dont you know.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
MB parktronic installation is probably the best looking one in the industry. All you see is a circle. On BMW's, Porsches etc, you usually have extra circular rings around the detectors, or they're extruding or way inside the bumper. Makes it a lot uglier.

I'd have taken my car without one, but it came with it so couldn't really choose to not have it.

It's useful, but I see that now when I drive other cars, I'm not as careful when parking. I usually begin to wait for the 'beeping' noise, and when it doesn't come, I snap awake and realise it's not the SLK I'm driving, but something else, and by then I'm a few CM's from wall [:0]

A useful, but also dangerous 'tool' if you ask me. At least MB makes it look relatively innocuous (or however you spell it... damn, I'm tired, should prolly get some sleep).

I want to see the day when the detectors are completely hidden behind the bumper without anything showing through. Could be easier to fit them aftermarket too without cutting holes into the bumper.

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although I hate to admit it I actually saw an even more high tech approach to parking a car in a small garage. Although this did cost a hell of a lot.

Basically it was a track which gets placed on the floor of your garage. You drive your front wheel onto it and get out (At this point your not in the garage). You then grab a control and keep the button pressed until it's dragged your car in.

I wish I could find the link again as the pictures made it easy to understand.

If in the future UK garages get any smaller this might be the only option to get your car in and out [:)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Woolly - 5/12/2005 12:44 PM

None of our American friends on this post - obviously their land is bigger than our land (or they're all still in bed !!)
Woolly:
We over here are still at work...I'll post a couple of pics of my garage setup later today...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
2006 SLK55
10 Posts
Woolly - 5/12/2005 3:44 PM

Parktronic is not an available option in North America for the R171.

Sad when they will not allow me to spend more money -- I have been driving with Park Distance Control (PDC) for the last 5 years and it has made me a lazy man when it comes to parking... a luxury that I do not want to forego!

Currently, I am trying to speak with my dealer about having it installed at the factory as a 'custom' option but he says the chances of that happening are slim (i.e. I assume he does not want to help me do the legwork [V])

Cool idea with the infrared beam and torch setup in your garage!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Ok, my UK friends...with the US not having parktronic...here is how I deal with the garage on this side of the pond...way out in the west even...[:D][8D][:D]

The first attached picture is the garage...

The second picture is the backside of the garage door opener - the silver bullet shaped corner objects are lasers...

The third picture shows how it plugs into the light on the opener, so it is "on" while the light on the opener operates..

The fourth picture is from a sales web site showing how you point them to align on a spot on the dash...perfect parking every time...[:D][:p][:eek:)]

Purchased for about $17 US @ Costco...also available online; search for laser park...[:p]

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
I just use a tennis ball and string, but there are plenty of nifty gizmos you can buy online which help you park properly - from $30 to $150. I'm sure they have similar stuff in the U.K. if you search the web for garage accessories.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
roadsterboy - 5/13/2005 3:54 AM

Parktronic? My garage is 50' by 30' with a hoist, I couldn't hit anything if I tried[:D]
... about the size of County Durham then ...[:)][:)]

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
67 Posts
Hi all,

Hired a CLK back in 2000 (in Germany - Autobahn between Munich & Ulm & the Black Forest..mmm...) and it had p'tronic. From this brief experience it is a must have.

I Have it on my C200 and have ordered it on my SLK350. It makes reverse parking a dream.

As far as in my garage goes, I use a high tech piece of 2"x1/2" timber hot glued to the floor for my front wheels to roll up to.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Nothing wrong with a chalk mark on the wall and if its really tight put the roof down and stand up, or to be really safe as our friends in the US do put something on the floor, piece of wood screwed down will do.

gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts