Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to burning some music on a Dual layer disk. 8GB of MP3's = 1750 songs or 125 hours of music. That means going 65 miles per hour I could drive 4000 miles to Germany and back and not hear the same song twice. If only there weren't a big body of water in the way:). I only listened to about 10 songs on it today but everything seems to play OK.

So when we do the cost rundown:
IPod = $300
IPod Kit = $300
installation = $150
Total for IPod = $750

Dual layer DVD disk = $10
Dual layer burner (if you don't already have one) =$150

you do the math:)

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Sure the math works... but it still doesn't escape the fact that the iPod is the far more convenient as well as flexible option. As days go by, music trends pass, new songs are written, new and old tunes pop in and out of your playlists, are you going to keep burning new discs not to mention assembling new playlists for each burn? What if you decide you want a higher level of organization from the plethora of music genres in your music library? To organize them in playlists to suit your mood? function? motivation? I see it like this: My mac is my ever-growing music jukebox at home (connected to stereo via airtunes), which syncs to my ipod, which I carry around, which also in turn "syncs" (interfaces) to my SLK's COMAND system fully controllable via the steering wheel and head unit and fully integrated without ever having to do the tedious task of organizing songs into folders (as is the case with DVD-R's). Does it get any easier than that? Not exactly math but brilliant logic.

I'll take one iPod oem interface please [:)]

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
You're kidding, right? At a good quality bitrate I have 60GB of music right now. A proper solution allows selection by genre, by playlist, by artist, by album, or any combination of those, with shuffle play thrown in, and an easy way of locating any track, any album, any artist.

A DVD may be a compromise, but when you have been using this kind of flexibility both at home and on a portable device for years, that's all it is.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
41 Posts
Yeah, i agree with you FlyByNite, the dual layer DVD solution is a good deal if you don't already have an ipod.
But for those who already have it, the ipod kit seems to be a must-have.

·
Registered
SLK55
24 Posts
Hi FlyByNite,

What software did you use to burn your dual layered mp3 disc?

Anthony.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
So, 8gig MP3 DVD's work then, huh? NICE!

Guess I'll make a new DVD then [:D]

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
FYI with iMac...DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2, together with Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later, now support burning and reading from double-layer DVD recorders and media (DVD+R DL). DVD+R DL media makes it possible for you to store nearly twice as much data on a single-sided DVD (8.54 GB) compared to standard DVDs (4.7 GB).

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Sorry, but I prefer the IPOD. I can listen in my car, then while I am waiting at the airport, on the plane, at the beach, while sking, while working out, etc., etc. I can load music and books and listen to both in a light weight convenient package and it is so easy to delete old stuff and then purchse and add new.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Plus he forgot to tell you that the program to burn a dual layer DVD at least on a Mac cost $400!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts