Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1983 300D Euro Spec. It has rust in the trunk, lower right fender and around the jacking points? Do any suppliers make repair panels? I know I saw oem mercedes pieces for the jacking points, but I lost the part #
Thanks!

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Repair panels are available from van Wezel (Belgian company I think), Klokkerholm (danish company) and there's an Italian company that does a few bits too but I've forgotten their name! (It'll come back to me - don't worry)

All of the these suppliers make kind of OK replacement parts to really bloody crap pieces - it depends on what you need replacing. The inner body parts are usually of the worst quality.

If you want the good stuff you need to go to the dealer - but then well the prices are a bit on the high side for most parts.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Italian manufacturer = embo

You see I knew I'd remember it in the end.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Wrong chassis, but still... Or you just buy a replacement sill and cut out the sections you need.

I'd avoid Van Wezel, Klokkerholm makes much better panels. Van WEzel are all too often paper thin. Can't comment much on Embo, only that the wings they make are not a realy good fit but still amongst the better ones.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Have been watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with a North American supplier.

In past, I knew of one. I was at a body shop getting a quotation when UPS delivered some sheet metal parts for a Benz. Boxes had suppliers name on outside. I checked and they had the front fenders I needed, but they were wholesale only. Maaco installed new fenders for me and they got them through their own company. Not very good quality (thin gauge metal), but 6 years later still there!

I seem to recall another source that was bringing the parts from China.

Body shops have catalogues of patch pieces, so we need to find who supplies them!

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Have been watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with a North American supplier.

In past, I knew of one. I was at a body shop getting a quotation when UPS delivered some sheet metal parts for a Benz. Boxes had suppliers name on outside. I checked and they had the front fenders I needed, but they were wholesale only. Maaco installed new fenders for me and they got them through their own company. Not very good quality (thin gauge metal), but 6 years later still there!

I seem to recall another source that was bringing the parts from China.

Body shops have catalogues of patch pieces, so we need to find who supplies them!
Well go back to the body shop and ask them?

There are certainly more companies than the three I've mentioned - ther are some very cheap W123 panels for sale on ebay in Germany for example that don't look like Van Wezel, Klokkerholm or Embo. You can buy an entire floor pan (the whole length not one part of it) for about 50 euros. Klokkerholm ones were something like 120 euros when I last looked (but then they don't fit very well - I tried two).

I'm now going to "have a bash" (hee hee) at making my own.

·
Registered
1985 300TD On the road! and too many Dodges to list!
367 Posts
Great info. I need both rear wheel wells and a rear floor pan for my 82 300TD.

I do body work as a side job so fitting parts to the car is easy even when they don't fit. I'm liking the prices on the Klokkerholm site. ;)

I'll have to "make" the lower inside of the hatch that is rusted out but I can do that. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Can anyone recommend someone in the Philly area that can do rust repair?

I'm an 1-1.5hrs from you.(Lancaster area) I'm a little busy right now with a full time job and doing body work on the side, with two cars for others to fix right now but I'm willing to do the work for you later in the year, first of next year.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Here's one that popped up on my radar.

Rust Repair Panels

Walked away from my laptop, when I came back the site was in front of me!

From Cleveland, Ohio area.

Dave

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Here's one that popped up on my radar.

Rust Repair Panels

Walked away from my laptop, when I came back the site was in front of me!

From Cleveland, Ohio area.

Dave
I'm confused. Same site?? Anyway, glad you found it.

One thing about these panels. I have never bought them, but others have. Apparently quality is not that great. Probably OK to cut up and use for patch panels.

If someone has a better source for W123s, in NA, please post.

·
Registered
367 Posts

One thing about these panels. I have never bought them, but others have. Apparently quality is not that great. Probably OK to cut up and use for patch panels.

That works for me. I just need patches....... :D

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts

Although not one of my favorite vendors, they seem to have a lot of new and used body panels, especially in their catalog:

Mercedes Benz Parts & Accessories - Mercedes 123 - 4 Door Sedan

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes Benz 300d Turbodiesel
140 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,274 Posts
I'm confused: While these may not exactly be Chevies or Fords, surely a hot rod shop can repair the metal work?

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes Benz 300d Turbodiesel
140 Posts
I'm confused: While these may not exactly be Chevies or Fords, surely a hot rod shop can repair the metal work?
me too ! To e honest im going to consult a couple metal fabricaters and see which will be the best: custom metal fab, or a chop and weld with the new panels. Also the best bang for my buck cuz i dont have a pile of cash for this floor.:crybaby2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts