Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C55 AMG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone besides renntech? and what do better cams do with our engine?
fucking 3 grand for the renntech cams is =(

·
Registered
217 Posts
there are a lot

there are 3 brands in europe doing shafts for our cars, this gives us about 6-7 profiles to choose from!

I don't have the info here wiht me but I can check later today.

Altough I saw M111 cams for "vanos" cars and I think our cars have adjustable timing which I'm not toatlly sure yet.

Etienne

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Cams allow the engine to breath better by changing when the valves open, how long they stay open for, and how large they open. There are some downsides which you may encounter (although they will not bother a majority of the people interested in performance) including a rougher idle and increased emissions.

I don't believe the car has variable timing but I am not all that familar with 4 cyl. MB's.

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
You might try Crane Camshafts of Hallandale, Fla. They have been in the business many many years and can custom grind to your specific needs. I have used them for older fifties Jaguars and a couple of Oldsmobiles. Hope this helps[:D]

·
Registered
217 Posts
well I was told there is a "on/off" type of valve setting in the MB, but I wasnT' able to get a real answer yet. Altough there is def. a variable timing M111 since the cam companies show different cams for variable and non variable engines.

from this page: http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-specifications/09-int/2000/mercedes-benz/c-class/
it states "- 2,295 cc 2.3 liters 4 in-line engine with 90.9 mm bore, 88.4 mm stroke, 8.8 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder "

I'm really wondering because I need this info to choose a cam!

Also, for rough idle, depends on the profile you choose. There is a company that makes 4 different profiles, two are pretty mild, 2 are more "race"

Etienne

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
You are abolutley correct about the rough idle. That is why I said it may occur.

I was out with a friend one night who has an old muscle car with a loping idle. We stopped with the car running in a residential neighborhood for a couple of minutes to talk to another friend and a guy came out and bitched about how loud the car was.

·
Registered
217 Posts
once again, rough idle depends on the cam profile

and according to some people I talked too, even the most "extreme" grind is very conservative compared to what people in muscle cars put i.e. you won'T have an idle that bad.

But I'd choose something in between because I don'T want to loose too much end power since our redline is low

Etienne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts