Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that there are several threads on the slk antenna and replacements of same suggesting there is a lot of dissatisfaction with its appearance.

When I first saw the slk I certainly noticed the antenna; hard not to. However, after having the car now for almost a month, I actually like the antenna. It gives the car character. Am I the only one who likes it?

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Not sure if you are the only one, but I vote for it being too long and distracting.
The shorter looks better to me.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
I think you have a choice of a hard-top convertible or an integrated antenna. Don't think they mix well.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
And yes, you are the only one who likes it.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
What was MB thinking? Looks as if it belongs on a 75 Pacer. The CB looking whip is a distraction from the smooth flowing lines of the SLK. This kind of retro old style antenna has no place on a modern 21st century car.

·
Registered
SLK 27/Jan/2005
102 Posts
I like the antenna. I am not going to change it. Although even my 49 year old mom doesn't like it, i still think it looks nice on the car. For those who doesn't like it, just change it. For those who love it like i do, cheers!

Jon

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Johnny:

Wish it was that easy to just swap the part for another one that was shorter.

If you see my other thread about the aftermarket short antenna which is available on EBAY, you'll discover that installing this short antenna results in a very short range for the keyless remote to lock and unlock the SLK.

For me, I hate the long antenna so much that I will live the reduced remote range rather than have that ugly thing sticking up off the rear quarter ruining the great lines of the SLK.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
jlangmd - 3/3/2005 1:04 AM
I think you have a choice of a hard-top convertible or an integrated antenna. Don't think they mix well.
Why not? In many cars nowadays the radio antenna is in the windscreen. It's such a tiny wire that it's hard to spot even if you are looking for it. My 911 has such an antenna for example, and FM performance is very good.

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
steve-p - 3/3/2005 11:07 AM

jlangmd - 3/3/2005 1:04 AM
Why not? In many cars nowadays the radio antenna is in the windscreen. It's such a tiny wire that it's hard to spot even if you are looking for it. My 911 has such an antenna for example, and FM performance is very good.
The SL has its anenna in the same spot running around and through the center of the windshield.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Anything that long and thin should have 20 lb test line and a decent bass at the end. It's fine for a retro car, but not appropriate for this century. What were they thinking besides "Hey this is cheap"?

·
Registered
Diamond SilverSLK200
106 Posts
rickboy - 3/3/2005 10:54 PM

I have noticed that there are several threads on the slk antenna and replacements of same suggesting there is a lot of dissatisfaction with its appearance.

When I first saw the slk I certainly noticed the antenna; hard not to. However, after having the car now for almost a month, I actually like the antenna. It gives the car character. Am I the only one who likes it?
I have wondered about the past comments on this vexed issue and have to say that I am not concerned in the slightest about the longer aerial! Mine does what it is supposed to do, very well, and at a (newly measured) distance of 50+ paces!

It is so secure that I can't remove it without using the special "key" provided, so no worries about theft. I don't take it through car washes so no worries there either, and my hands-free phone reception is brilliant. I personally don't feel the need to spend good dosh on "improving" something that ain't broke, but I accept different people will have different views on this, as shown by some of today's posts.

Just my €0.0153846 (2 cents -rates may vary- worth.)

Scott

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
dsballdo - 3/3/2005 11:30 AM

Anything that long and thin should have 20 lb test line and a decent bass at the end. It's fine for a retro car, but not appropriate for this century. What were they thinking besides "Hey this is cheap"?
Well said!

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, 20lb test for a decent bass is cheating, unless it's a giant stripper. I like smallmouth myself.

·
Registered
SLK 27/Jan/2005
102 Posts
well i'm sorry you have to stick with the reduced remote range... but you get the cool short antenna look right!? That's cool! As long as you are happy with it, that's the most important.

For me, i am loving the long antenna and having the ultra long remote range. Guess the world works in a funny way!

Jon

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
ScottMarbella - 3/3/2005 4:34 PM

rickboy - 3/3/2005 10:54 PM

It is so secure that I can't remove it without using the special "key" provided, so no worries about theft.
This has me intrigued. I've purchased the shorter antenna from eBay, and since I don't have my car yet. Had a demo off the dealer and decided to test it on that.

There was no "key" for the antenna, all I did was unscrew it and off it came!!! [:D]

The reason why I want to change to the shorter antenna is to try and stop people ripping it off the car. I had a VW Golf and that had it's antenna ripped off - I was just thankful they didn't scratch my car with it!!!! [:0]

·
Registered
Diamond SilverSLK200
106 Posts
...not concerned...about the longer aerial...
Apologies!

Should have used "antenna" not aerial! (Next I'll be saying "radio" instead of "wireless"!)

I dig being a hep cat instead of a square, daddy-o!

Can't wait for the sixties! [8]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I don't mind the antenna. No big deal for me.

But a shorter SL type one IS prettier.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll go ahead and change it one of these days (with the antenna and the stub both in iridum silver) since I realise that I always unlock and lock my car when I'm next to it anyway (I never do it from a distance...).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts