Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, who here tows their Unimog around with a motorhome? How much HP/TQ does your RV make?

A fellow just called me with a great deal on an old 80's 32 ft Fleetwood Southwind with a 440 (230 hp?) in it. Seams like it might be a nice tow vehicle and a great place to live while wheeling out in the mountains. Anyone else go this route? How do these already slow motorhomes do pulling such a heavy load around? I wouldn't imagine all that great of fuel economy(8-10 MPG?), but I think that goes with the territory...

Cheers,

Corey

·
Registered
60 Posts
Corey,
Most older motorhomes are allready at their weight limit. I have a 37' Newmar Mountain Aire. When Loaded with water, food , etc. it weighs about 21,000 lbs. My tow hitch is rated for 4000 lbs. GMVW is 22,500.

I think you would have to go with a motorhome based on a big bus or one of the toy haulers based on a freightliner. My main worry would be brakes.

My brakes get pretty warm in the mountains, and I would be too worried about them to pull a trailer and vehicle.

Hope this helps.

john

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I agree with John, motor homes are rated to pull a little runabout thing like a jeep or small honda. It's not how much you can pull that gets you the rating, it's how much you can stop. I wouldn't want to be pulling a mog with something that has not enough brakes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a Dodge Chassis 18' class C that towed 7000lbs. great. It was a nice tow rig. The trailer had surge brakes, never a problem stopping. I had a 32' class A with a 200Hp Cummins and it towed my Bobcat and trailer at 10,000lbs. Towed that down and back to Katrina from Upstate NY no problem, the trailer had electric brakes. I did go very slow on big downhills, downshifted and used the trailer brakes and coach brakes pumping them, just being very cautious. I came down a big mountain off the Blue Ridge Parkway visiting relatives in the hills and checked the brakes with my laser temp gauge and they were just fine. I don't think I would have flew down the big hills throwing caution to the wind. Of course you are slowed down towing, but I do recommend towing with a motorhome if the numbers crunch.
They are just a truck chassis, as my friend, a truck mechanic called them, "BIG boxes full of fluff.
Weigh your trailer, loaded and the motorhome loaded and see what it looks like.
Some of the smaller class a and c units have a lot of room left for a load. That 32' unit may be OK, What are you towing, how many lbs. Do you have electric brakes on both axles. Some trailers only have brakes on one axle. Also get a high end electric brake controller and because of the long run use heavier gauge wire than a normal pickup truck. Wire the trailer brakes directly to the main battery with a big circuit breaker right at the battery. Get a heavy trailer connector plug also and keep it very clean.

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
I've seen Video, and pictures, of a guy who took a bus and made it into a motorhome/mog hauler (pictures anyone?) it looked pretty kick a$$.

Heres the Video on youtube:

YouTube - Schoolbus RV Unimog Hauler

Now that looks like a decent hauler to me. And old schoolbus's are a plenty, heck, some have Merc engines! (I work for a school division) Our Freightliners run a Mercedes engine, not sure the engine, but technically, you'd be pulling a Mercedes with a Mercedes :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You know, I was actually thinking of doing something like that, just to a motorhome. Buses are dirty cheap though and it'd be a pretty easy job to ghetto fab. I don't think I could find the time or a place to do a job like that right now though and more-over, it'd be nice to have the bed/bathroom/kitchen/etc that a motorhome would come with. Here's a more pictures of bus-haulers:

I saw this motorhome as being a cheap and hassle free "ready to go" solution, though obviously I'd still need to rent or borrow a trailer each time I head out to the trails. I don't think I'd be too worried about stopping it though. The hitch is an OEM Class 5 and a good trailer with properly setup electric brakes could probably outbrake one of those old motorhomes besides. I don't think they'd have made the RV with such a hitch if they felt it wasn't safe. Regardless though, safe driving is the key here. Slow speeds, plenty of following distance, pre-braking for stale lights, etc.

Just out of curiosity though, any more details on the unimog bus/hauler posted above?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts