Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give feed back. :)

It's been years since the debate, research and decisions. I know our prof Lou, Thomas, Benzo, Dnewman have been using it and even our passionate Ohlord (who oppose it at one point) has given in.

I am curious if others have been using Valvoline Maxlife, how long, any problem, pros and cons.

Thanks,
JP

·
Registered
232 Posts
Took out RedLine and installed MaxLife Aug 19/11 3,500 miles ago.

Runs and shifts equally well on both. Also drained the torque converter.

For me 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Obvious price advantage to MaxLife.

Just received my 250,000 KM badge.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took out RedLine and installed MaxLife Aug 19/11 3,500 miles ago.

Runs and shifts equally well on both. Also drained the torque converter.

For me 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Obvious price advantage to MaxLife.

Just received my 250,000 KM badge.
Thanks,
Just curious, did RedLine at least claim they meet 236.10 spec as I know it's not MB approved?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
redline d4 claims to meet 236.10, while redline d6 claims to meet 236.12. they are both over $10/qt though.
i have maxlife atf currently in my s320. it shifts as smooth as it did 15 years ago. one thing to take into consideration is that the new maxlife atf formulation is thinner than the older formulation. while the original maxlife atf was more of a dex3 fluid, the newer maxlife is more of a dex6 thus being closer to 236.14 fluid. either way i would use it without any doubt, it's a quality atf.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would have stayed with D4 but it is mail order and I had a short window to do it then or postpone till next year so I went with MaxLife.

21,000 miles on D4 in 54 weeks and it came out as fresh as it went in, I would say it is an excellent product. Also put RedLine 75W 90 in the differential and will likely drain and refill with same next year.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To me they were both the same.

If I was going to only change once and leave it in I would go D4 as I believe it is better but can't prove it.

I will probably go back to D4 in 25 to 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else? Please give input, I think it can help other members saving money knowing that many have successfully used it. Thanks,

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Well, you have (6) postives, with no negatives so far... if we call the active W210 forum membership like only 100 ... with 6% of our readership riding this new wave... all to save a few bucks over Fuchs OE equivalent... sorry, not my thing, and by count not many others catching the wave.....

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Slightly off topic but speaking of Fuchs, I wonder why autohausAZ shows the list price of that to be $42.64? I realize they are selling it for only $11.81, but if you're planning to buy that, why not spend $3.87 more and buy the real deal?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would have stayed with D4 but it is mail order and I had a short window to do it then or postpone till next year so I went with MaxLife.

21,000 miles on D4 in 54 weeks and it came out as fresh as it went in, I would say it is an excellent product. Also put RedLine 75W 90 in the differential and will likely drain and refill with same next year.
Is it a good thing to be as fresh as it went in after 21000 miles drive?
Isn't it supposed to clean the system out as a detergent?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, you have (6) postives, with no negatives so far... if we call the active W210 forum membership like only 100 ... with 6% of our readership riding this new wave... all to save a few bucks over Fuchs OE equivalent... sorry, not my thing, and by count not many others catching the wave.....
You mean the Fuchs 236.14 sheet right? The reason I am concern is that I saw Eric242340's posts about using those in older 722.6 tranny - as he saw many with transmission problem using 236.14. The only other choice for MB spec 236.10 is from Autohausaz but seems like it's running out soon.

I am now owning 2 722.6 tranny cars and would like to not worry about where/how to get the MB 236.10 fluid. If Maxlife can perform safely, I can problem change them (just exchange, not necessarily dropping pan and filter every time) more often, like 30 -40 kmile.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
...The only other choice for MB spec 236.10 is from Autohausaz but seems like it's running out soon...
Maybe not JeffreyP. Since what I just bought was stamped 07/2010 that was produced as recently as 16 months ago. Plus G-AMG posted on my autohausAZ thread that there is no expiration date. What I might do is buy enough to last me up to 200,000 miles by doing partials every 40,000.

Since you are doing complete changes on 2 cars, I can see that you'll be using quite a bit more so the cost savings for you will be significant.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe not JeffreyP. Since what I just bought was stamped 07/2010 that was produced as recently as 16 months ago. Plus G-AMG posted on my autohausAZ thread that there is no expiration date. What I might do is buy enough to last me up to 200,000 miles by doing partials every 40,000.

Since you are doing complete changes on 2 cars, I can see that you'll be using quite a bit more so the cost savings for you will be significant.
MM, thanks and you're right. If I have to get 28 bottles (14 per car), then it's substantial. But I am more concern about 4 or 5 years down the road, will they still be available? If I have to stock them up for 2 changes then it's approaching a grand. Yikes.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
MM, thanks and you're right. If I have to get 28 bottles (14 per car), then it's substantial. But I am more concern about 4 or 5 years down the road, will they still be available? If I have to stock them up for 2 changes then it's approaching a grand. Yikes.
JeffreyP, you're welcome. It looks like (at today's prices) your 2 complete changes using the MB juice will run you about $330 each. Look at it this way too: how do you know if the compatible Valvoline will still be for sale in 4 or 5 years? So I guess what I would do is stockpile the Maxlife while you can and cut your costs by 60%.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yike. Seems like Valvoline is much more abundance so maybe that's the route I'll go

By the way Fabdrisd1,

Fuch 3353 is 236.12 but wrongly claimed at Autohausaz. It should meet both 5 speed and 7 spec.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
guys, you are giving this too much thought. 236.10 fluid is just dex3h fluid, thus there are plenty of choices if the original mb 236.10 fluid cannot be found anymore like febi-bilstein 236.10/dex3h, meyle dex3h, maxlife, redline d4, amsoil atf, royal purple, petrocanada duradrive etc. i wouldn't hesitate to use any of them. also 236.12 fluid (fuchs 3353) will be perfectly fine. i am still waiting to hear of someone's 722.6 transmission failing because of the incorrect fluid.
by the way i have had mb 236.14/atf 134 in my e320 for 3 years now, and i am at ~225k miles. if i ever change it again will prob be febi 236.10 fluid. still shifts like new.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
tirona, did you do a complete fluid change in your E320? And how many miles have you driven in the past 3 years?
musikmann, i usually drain both torque converter and pan, as well as letting it drip overnight. so i think i drain about 95% or even more. the fluid i drained wasn't even 2 years old, but i needed to replace the conductor plate thus i had to drain it. i think i have 50k miles or so on the fluid now. but i would have used maxlife if i would have known before, loubapache mentioned maxlife in here shortly after i had replaced the fluid. but i did put maxlife in the s320 and in both cases couldn't really tell a difference.
imho the most important part is cleaning all the gunk from the bottom of the pan and replacing filter, rather than 236.10, 12 or 14.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts