Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
Not SLK but I follow this forum since we share the M111 engine, and mine is about to turn 190K Miles along with the rest of the car. Of course I maintain it religiously.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Now at 273k miles and still going...
Is this auto or manual?
Still on the original tranny? Engine?
Had the head off?
Any special or unusual problems when you got past 200K miles?
I replaced the supercharger at 120K, rebuilt the alternator and starter.
Haven't touched the AC though I think it was replaced under warranty.
I seem to have something leaking under the hood...not sure what.
AT Transmission flushed twice. I am a little concerned going forward.
But the M111/ 722.6 seems to be pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Now at 273k miles and still going...
Come on, don't keep us in suspense. ;)
Any mechanical work done on the engine? Or on any other major components, e,g, gearbox, diff?

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
594 Posts
Wow, it's been around 3 years since I had first replied to this thread.....now, I've got 153K, still have my original EVERYTHING (yes, even my MAF)except the water pump, battery and of course the ignition lock cylinder which I had damaged by hanging 30 keys from it<LOL>. So far, it's running great although I am getting oil in my MAF which requires cleaning...maybe I'll start another thread asking for help.....otherwiase, good to go....hope to post again in another 3 years!

jeff

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6 Speed >373k Miles
8 Posts
OK... Quick update.
My SLK still lives on at now over 297,100 MILES.

Items of surprise:
Original Clutch
Original untouched engine
Original untouched transmission

Things that "Go Bad"
Secondary Air valves and EGR system-
There's really not a need to replace them. Take the secondary air valves apart and get to work with some Carb Cleaner. You'll find a large amount of Carbon and some oily bits have closed them up. For the EGR you need to have fun removing the pipe from the valve cover area to the EGR valve. It's the only thing that gets clogged. Search online for how to do both. You won't get much beyond 200k without numerous CEL codes. The real culprit is clogged parts not broken ones.

Water Pump-
On #3 and it's failing too. #2 was a aftermarket and didn't last 15k Miles. You'll hear it long before you see the tell tale wobble of the pulley or any leak. Don't ask me what it sounds like I just know it at this point due to the # of failures. It's about a 30 minute job (once you've done it before) and while they tell you to replace the tensioner and idler pulley I'll leave that up to you to decide if you want to replace them. I did at #1.

Front Suspension bushings-
Have a limit of 150k miles and seem to fail like clockwork. I need them again now.

Catalytic converter-
They were failing with the infamous marbles in a tin can sound every 60k miles but after the 3rd set now seem to have undergone quality improvements. Mine from 180k are still fine.

Valve cover gaskets-
I took off the passenger side cover, removed the "old" and applied RTV black. Sealed it back up and killed this leaky mess. The right side hasn't been bad enough to replace the rubber gasket and RTV the rest yet so it's as it left the factory. It's really the "mini" cover that leaks and that's what you use the RTV for. As a by product you'll need a new valve cover gasket so you can get to the mini cover.

Potential Fire hazard-
Leaves and little bits of combustibles fall into the heater intake. Replacing the interior air filter will not remove these hidden gems. When your heater motor fails after 8-9 years it does so in a way that throws burning embers from the motor into this hidden pile you will only see if you pulled everything apart to figure out how to change your non-functional motor. When changing the failed motor you will get forced in to cleaning this out. If you live where there's no trees or anything falling in to your cowl then never mind this tidbit. Mine SLK has always lived outside.

Vacuum pump aka PSE also aka POS-
Yep, it failed like everyone else that has ever had their car in the rain. Replaced it and turned it upside down when reinstalled. Now no worries.

Other than that I change the Mobil 1 0W-40 and filter every 6-8 K. It's now burning oil at a rate of 1 Qt every 1-1.5k Miles. :(

I do my own brake work and replace discs every other pad change as I tend to change pads a bit early.

I have no mods other than replacing the stereo with something much more modern and hard wiring my own remote mount BEL radar detector from long ago. I did pull the compact spare and replaced it with the "bin" that hides your stuff.

Only this summer did my AC quit. I had never had it "serviced" as it shouldn't need it unless the closed system "opens". In which case you are just going to dump toxic chemicals into the air until you fix it anyway. If my SLK lives until June I will restore this ability to stay cool and most importantly lower the humidity.

I ran Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's for years...until they stopped making them in the factory 16" staggered size to fit. Now I am running Conti Extreme Contact DW's that while very cheap still provide great handling, not RE050A great but still very respectable.

Vendors:
ECS Tuning, AutohausAZ, TireRack, Walmart(for 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 0w-40), and EuroMotors MB dealership have kept this running with parts supplies. I provide 98% of the labor.

I'll update when I hit 300k...

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz SLK320, 2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
125 Posts
Seseese, great report. We just got our SLK three weeks ago and it has just over 130,000 miles on it. Don't have any repair history on it, but am getting to replace the spark plugs, belts, fuel filter and just had the two trunk rams rebuilt. Had to glue the door panel snaps and the window stop.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6 Speed >373k Miles
8 Posts
It's 300K Day!

OK... Quick update.
My SLK still lives on at now over 297,100 MILES.

Items of surprise:
Original Clutch
Original untouched engine
Original untouched transmission

Things that "Go Bad"
Secondary Air valves and EGR system-
There's really not a need to replace them. Take the secondary air valves apart and get to work with some Carb Cleaner. You'll find a large amount of Carbon and some oily bits have closed them up. For the EGR you need to have fun removing the pipe from the valve cover area to the EGR valve. It's the only thing that gets clogged. Search online for how to do both. You won't get much beyond 200k without numerous CEL codes. The real culprit is clogged parts not broken ones.

Water Pump-
On #3 and it's failing too. #2 was a aftermarket and didn't last 15k Miles. You'll hear it long before you see the tell tale wobble of the pulley or any leak. Don't ask me what it sounds like I just know it at this point due to the # of failures. It's about a 30 minute job (once you've done it before) and while they tell you to replace the tensioner and idler pulley I'll leave that up to you to decide if you want to replace them. I did at #1.

Front Suspension bushings-
Have a limit of 150k miles and seem to fail like clockwork. I need them again now.

Catalytic converter-
They were failing with the infamous marbles in a tin can sound every 60k miles but after the 3rd set now seem to have undergone quality improvements. Mine from 180k are still fine.

Valve cover gaskets-
I took off the passenger side cover, removed the "old" and applied RTV black. Sealed it back up and killed this leaky mess. The right side hasn't been bad enough to replace the rubber gasket and RTV the rest yet so it's as it left the factory. It's really the "mini" cover that leaks and that's what you use the RTV for. As a by product you'll need a new valve cover gasket so you can get to the mini cover.

Potential Fire hazard-
Leaves and little bits of combustibles fall into the heater intake. Replacing the interior air filter will not remove these hidden gems. When your heater motor fails after 8-9 years it does so in a way that throws burning embers from the motor into this hidden pile you will only see if you pulled everything apart to figure out how to change your non-functional motor. When changing the failed motor you will get forced in to cleaning this out. If you live where there's no trees or anything falling in to your cowl then never mind this tidbit. Mine SLK has always lived outside.

Vacuum pump aka PSE also aka POS-
Yep, it failed like everyone else that has ever had their car in the rain. Replaced it and turned it upside down when reinstalled. Now no worries.

Other than that I change the Mobil 1 0W-40 and filter every 6-8 K. It's now burning oil at a rate of 1 Qt every 1-1.5k Miles. :(

I do my own brake work and replace discs every other pad change as I tend to change pads a bit early.

I have no mods other than replacing the stereo with something much more modern and hard wiring my own remote mount BEL radar detector from long ago. I did pull the compact spare and replaced it with the "bin" that hides your stuff.

Only this summer did my AC quit. I had never had it "serviced" as it shouldn't need it unless the closed system "opens". In which case you are just going to dump toxic chemicals into the air until you fix it anyway. If my SLK lives until June I will restore this ability to stay cool and most importantly lower the humidity.

I ran Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's for years...until they stopped making them in the factory 16" staggered size to fit. Now I am running Conti Extreme Contact DW's that while very cheap still provide great handling, not RE050A great but still very respectable.

Vendors:
ECS Tuning, AutohausAZ, TireRack, Walmart(for 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 0w-40), and EuroMotors MB dealership have kept this running with parts supplies. I provide 98% of the labor.

I'll update when I hit 300k...

04 Feb 2014. SLK now is in the 300K club. I think it's a club of 1.
Others?

3 Weeks ago a really nice buck chose to put a sizable dent in the hood of my black SLK. Anyone have a spare they'd like to clean out of their garage? :)

-Steve

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,194 Posts
Others?

3 Weeks ago a really nice buck chose to put a sizable dent in the hood of my black SLK. Anyone have a spare they'd like to clean out of their garage? :)

-Steve
Congrats! :thumbsup:

My 2001 SLK230 just hit 68K today. I bought it new in Sept. 2000.

·
Registered
2002 slk32
49 Posts
I might have one of the lowest mileage beasts out there.

2002 SLK32 with all of 25,474 kms or 15,828 miles. Sorry to hijack the thread...

Runs like new. Only scheduled maintenance done and the third set of tires recently installed. Put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car and it literally changed the car's character. The difference between old and new was like night and day. Had Yokohama Advan Sports before and hated them.

I now know it's true when the say the easiest way to improve the performance of your car is to change the tires.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 (W140), C180 (W202), SLK230 Kompressor (R170), SL320 (W129)
15 Posts
I have the most

i have 2000 SLK 230 Sport Kompressor and it has 204,145 Miles
it runs perfect
I have done a loooooooooot of work with my Father

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not SLK but M111 engine.
218K miles with a blown head gasket on #4 of course.
I just keep putting coolant in every once in a while.
Not sure if it's worth doing the gasket, or just throw another
engine in, or just get another car...I just keep driving it.
Others?

-Steve

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
1 Posts
My 2001 SLK320 hit 251,650 recently. One of the most important repairs at 250K was replacement of the engine and transmission mounts. The smooth ride is well worth the cost. That was the first time it went into a shop as I just could not DIY that fix as I had been doing for prior 200K miles on all other work.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts