Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
SLK320MT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine (2001) is just turning 90k miles. A mere baby! Of course we've been through 4 other cars since 2001, but the SLK is mostly a summertime toy. No mods other than the Recaro seats we put in b/c the factory seats killed my back. Oh and mine is a 6-spd 320, which is a little unusual (but not so much on this board :)

That said, I'm wondering what higher-mileage service issues might start cropping up? Any advice from those who have BTDT?

Tx!

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 manual, original owner
227 Posts
Yeah, I'd be curious, too, to know just how far they can go. I'm also only a baby at 85,000 miles. Any unusual expenses, experiences for you high mileage types?

--Larry

·
Registered
SLK320AMG
10 Posts
I'm at 80K and I drive it everyday, VERY RELIABLE! The only problem I ran into is the catalytic converter, and heat shield which were under warranty. I also had to replace the crank shaft position sensor. But that's it.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sports Package Black/Red Interrior 5-Speed
662 Posts
I have a spare crank shaft position sensor sitting around lol

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
At 125,000, I feel like this car is just broken in!

Hey, Comet, what did you do with the original seats?

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
162K miles.

Besides usual maintenance items, I regularly inspect vehicle for anything that looks like it could be starting to fail and replace it. Replaced the water pump at 150K when I noticed some lubricant seeping out around pulley shaft as an example.

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
705 Posts
My Baby *JUST* turned 80,000 miles young this past weekend !

This is a driver now. I have made two trips up and down the east coast (From New Orleans, LA to Williasmburg, VA!)

Hope to get another 80 out of her cruising up and down I-95 !

Might have to get a respray up front from the rock chips I have from doing 100mph down the coast. Maybe another coat or few of clear at the very front of the car?

Otherwise, it is near showroom mint ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
206 Posts
2001 SLK 320.

121k. Daily Driver (wife). Replaced PSE Pump, Exhaust, crank sensor. Other than that, mostly maintenance. CD Changer is Broken, and radio fades in and out. Dealer just told me that it needs $1500 in suspension work. I know it needs front pads, want to do it myself, but the T-40 bolts for the brake sensor are stuck to high hell. Is it possible to replace the pads without unbolting the sensor?

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
260,000kms - but across 3 SLKs :D. The current one has 35,000kms on the clock (that's 21000 miles) <edited>. Still perfect even with factory Michelin tyres.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor
333 Posts
91,000 miles. I've had to replace exterior trim, balljoints, MAF, bootlock, glued and painted interior, fixed window limiters and loose door equipment, felt on parcel shelf, regularly clean oil separator and hosing and installed oil catch tank, fixed heater fan, replaced hood strut, indicators stick now and again, losing oil in tranny (must investigate). Need to replace trunk struts and leveller for passenger side headlight. Before me the car was resprayed and the alloys replaced.:D

·
Registered
'99 ML430 and '01 SLK320
118 Posts
Still breaking her in at 68K miles, nothing major, lower ball joints, plugs, wires, couple of minor oil leaks, heat shield rattle. Daily driver in the warmer months for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
53K miles.

The body work is so thin, I got a dent on the LHS rear wing. Anyone with the same experience?:p

The engine is rather noisy like a diesel for it the first generation compressor. Is this normal or is it time for me to look at the compressor and what do I have to do to remedy it ?

Over the weekend on my day trip to London, the engine hiccups on 5th gear. Anyone any clue what wrong whether it leaking compressor or ECU problem?

·
Registered
SLK320MT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car is Saphire Blue, with a blue interior, so my original seats are special order interior blue & black (seat inserts are blue and the rest of the seats are black). They sit here on the floor next to my computer desk. I put Recaro Style seats in, and figured if I ever sell the SLK it will get the original seats back in it in PERFECT (practically unused) condition!

My first year had a bunch of teething problems, including having the transmission stuck in reverse, bad ABS computer, wheel sensor problems, ESP problems, and various other electrical gremlins. Then totally reliable up until a year ago when I had to replace the hydraulic pump for the top, and later same year the car stranded me with a failed Hall sensor (crank position sensor). Lots of long summer trips from Connecticut to Maine and back with the top down the whole way. Gnarly studded Hakkepellita snow tires in the winter (funky looking!).

Wondering what will be the next failure item. It's quiet out there.... too quiet. I think the Injuns are sneakin' up on me...

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
My seat inserts (bottoms) have cracking. Surprisingly, the passenger side is worse than the driver's side. The entire rest if both seats are just as good as brand new. I wonder if there's a way to replace just the inserts.

I'll be receiving my Viponds pain soon, to go over some spots in the interior. Once it's all done, my 126,000 mile car will look as good as brand new!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts