Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,
I'm still dealing with vacuum leaks but what is more concern to me: is white smoke, from exhaust. what can be the cause?
Here is what i have done, in past 2 weeks:
- Transmission filter/fluid change
- Engine Oil/Filter change
- New updated glow plugs
- New Digital Servo (still not working yet due to some PITA vacuum leak and have no heat)
- Diesel Purge
- New Air/Fuel filters
- Power steering fluid / filter change
- Coolant flush with new t-stat (no citrus flush; just used shout)

Last thing i need to do is the valve adjustment; but probably will look for local Mercedes mechanic for that (i'm located in East Bay Area, if anyone know any... please advice) . But before i do the valve adjustment; trying to figure out what is the white smoke....
So, what is the cause for this white smoke...its at idle and stay's ...doesn't go away even after warmed up.?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
White smoke during the warm-up phase can be unburnt diesel. If it continues after the engine is warmed up, it could be low compression (stuck piston rings). If you are losing coolant, it could be a blown head gasket. Another reason for white smoke is air in the fuel lines.

The valve adjustment must be done first before a conclusion can be reached.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
x2 on what Govert70227 do the Valve adjustment first.
If you would like to attempt the adjustment yourself I am selling the special Wrench Set:
Valve Wrenches
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1664581-sale-hazet-3-piece-valve-adjusting.html

Late Fuel Injection Pump timing can cause white smoke also if you have the type of Vacuum Pump that has a tubing that goes to the Intake Manifold some have said if a Diaphragm in the Pump ruptures it allows Oil mist into the Intake Manifold.
If you pull the Tube off and there is Oil in it that might be a good indication of the above.

Also with White Smoke from Coolant will not have the Diesel Fuel smell.
Sometimes if there is a Head Gasket hours after your Engine has cooled down you can squeeze you Radiator Hose; if it feels like it is still pressurized that is a sign of a Head Gasket leak due to combustion gasses getting into the Coolant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the response. If i don't find a good local mechanic for valve adjustment; i will surely invest in your tools.
So, first thing is to get the valve adjustment; currently all the dash and inside is a mess, i should have it restore within next few days and will get the valve adjustment done.
Second, i did change the some of the fuel lines and fuel filters; so it could may just require bleeding; any good method to bleed the fuel lines for air.
Third, how can i check for Late Fuel Injection Pump timing problem?
And, i will check the vacuum pump if it has a tubing going into the intake manifold.
I am hoping it is not an expensive fix, but let see what happens. thanks Mac
(oh, just for reference... the car is non turbo... 1979)

edit:
there is a clear plastic hose going from vacuum pump over to the air filter housing; it looks ok; is that the pipe that can carry oil mist into the intake?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Thanks for the response. If i don't find a good local mechanic for valve adjustment; i will surely invest in your tools.
So, first thing is to get the valve adjustment; currently all the dash and inside is a mess, i should have it restore within next few days and will get the valve adjustment done.
Second, i did change the some of the fuel lines and fuel filters; so it could may just require bleeding; any good method to bleed the fuel lines for air.
Third, how can i check for Late Fuel Injection Pump timing problem?
And, i will check the vacuum pump if it has a tubing going into the intake manifold.
I am hoping it is not an expensive fix, but let see what happens. thanks Mac
(oh, just for reference... the car is non turbo... 1979)

edit:
there is a clear plastic hose going from vacuum pump over to the air filter housing; it looks ok; is that the pipe that can carry oil mist into the intake?
Let us know what they charge in your area for a Valve Adjustment.

·
Registered
1983 300DT
58 Posts
Could possible be do to tired injectors. Mine will smoke white at fire up and run rough. This is due mostly to the fact that my fuel return lines are leaking allowing air to get in and then loose prime. Like stated before retarded timing can cause smoke....normally you get blueish smoke from that but I've seen white before due to that. Blue smoke will also be caused by burning oil. If your burning coolant you would probably notice a coolant smell coming out of the exhaust. Check all fuel lines and make sure none of them are leaking and allowing air to enter the system. Some of this is repeat of what has already been said but I figured I'd say it again. Does it start right up or does she run a little rough at first?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
White smoke can also be late Fuel Injection Timing. I had this happen on my Volvo Diesel.

I had timed the Fuel Injection Pump wrong and I was getting extremely white bollows of smoke out of the Exhaust Pipe; and it also smelled like Fuel.

The White is caused by tiny atomized Diesel Fuel particles and Air.

Timing the Fuel Injection Pump properly solved the issue.

For a Head Gasket issue look for Bubbles or Engine Oil in the Coolant Over Flow Tank or if after the Car has sat for several Hours and cooled down the Radiator Hose is still hard and feels inflated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts