Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'85 500SEL AMG, 91 560SEL, '99 E55, '00 SL600, '99 S600, '99 E300 TD, '92 190E
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my 1999 E55 today, after two weeks. There was a big puff of white smoke for two~three seconds, then it stopped. This is the second time it has happened. Does anybody know what is causing this?

The car has 150,000 miles. All service is up to date. New plugs, O2 sensors, MAF, fluids, filters, everything is changed.

Thanks,
Hyder

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
if its bluish white its oil but if its just white steam its probably just evaporation of condensation inside the exhaust system, nothing to be worried about. If it really bothers you, you could try Seafoam and that may help clean out the cylinders & injectors and fuel system but its really nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes E 55 AMG
113 Posts
omeyhomey seafoam the only thing you ever talk about lol. You love that stuff don't u. you should be a rep for them while ur at it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks.. some of my cars stay in storage for three or four months and never this problem. It is 90 degree weather here and no rain in two weeks, so I dont think it was condensation. I will let you know if it does it again.

·
Registered
'01 E55 AMG
334 Posts
White smoke can also be trans oil being sucked into intake, but I don't know if MB has the same vacuum shifting as America cars do, but it would always be smoking a little bit. So oil may be the problem coming from leaking valve seats in your heads. You may want to pull off your air filter box and look to see if it is wet from oil near MAS sensor.

Maybe try using some Seafoam in your gas as it may clean up everything? I don’t know your car has 150,000 miles so I think seals first, rings second. You need to drive that puppy to keep it lubricated. Change your oil to Royal Purple and run engine for 1 hr a few times a week as much as you can this will help get oil to all the seals in your engine.

Al said:
Okay, thanks.. some of my cars stay in storage for three or four months and never this problem. It is 90 degree weather here and no rain in two weeks, so I dont think it was condensation. I will let you know if it does it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, the E55 is my daily driver. I think the valve seals probably leaked a little bit while sitting. I will buy some Seaform today.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
thats a good idea, I should be a seafoam representative:D . The reason I like it is it has so many uses. It even cleans up your catalytic converter if you used it via the FPR vacuum line (but on our cars you can't b/c ours goes through some electronics before it enters the intake manifold so I didn't want to risk it). but its 100 times more effective than those over the counter "injector cleaners" which are basically a scam just like over the counter octane boosters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts