Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my car this morning and drove about two blocks and stopped at a stop sign. When I looked in my rear view mirror it looked like I was in a fog. LOTS of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. It stopped when i drove off and did not happen again. I have noticed it some in the past but not to the extent it happened today.

What is this and is it serious or normal? 1500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Snowball - 5/3/2005 6:18 PM

White smoke could mean water. Gray or black could be oil.
.....or we might have a new pope[:D] - seriously, when I'm following some new cars, I'm amazed at the amount of white/black smoke coming from them, but I often wonder if the drivers can see it through the mirrors ... mine might be as smokey as feck, if someone is following it, but I've never noticed[:0]

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Uhh, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, water is one product of combustion. Some times you see it dripping from the exhaust if the engine is cold. Other times, when the air is cool it will appear as a white vapor. Most of the time it is not visible at all. The question is, is it "smoke", water vapor from normal combustion, or, I doubt, a coolant leak? I suspect, given it is a new car, that it is just normal water vapor when the engine and air is cool.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rickboy - 5/3/2005 12:47 PM

Uhh, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, water is one product of combustion. Some times you see it dripping from the exhaust if the engine is cold. Other times, when the air is cool it will appear as a white vapor. Most of the time it is not visible at all. The question is, is it "smoke", water vapor from normal combustion, or, I doubt, a coolant leak? I suspect, given it is a new car, that it is just normal water vapor when the engine and air is cool.
Sorry, it was not obvious to me[:I]There was just a lot of it this morning, much more than usual and I have never seen it in any of my other cars.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
You see it all the time here in winter when it's still below freezing in the mornings. I guess its a bit warmer where you are malibuite! What was the outside temp. when you noticed the smoke/vapour?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jono_m - 5/3/2005 4:03 PM

You see it all the time here in winter when it's still below freezing in the mornings. I guess its a bit warmer where you are malibuite! What was the outside temp. when you noticed the smoke/vapour?
It never freezes where I am. Coolest it gets in the dead of winter is about 45-50 but this morning when I saw the smoke it was 63.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
When the car is cold, it's usually just condensation in the system being evaporated and blown out, and nothing to worry about. If it happened all the time, at every stop sign, I'd worry. If the smoke was really white, then it suggests a water leak, and if it was bluish, an oil leak. If more like blackish, too much fuel is probably being fed.

I'd go stand behind the car and smell the smoke. Water vapor and oil vapor and unburned gas smell very different.

But if it's white and only when the car isn't well warmed up, probably nothing to worry about.

But if your car explodes, God forbid, it's not my fault. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts