Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 300D Turbo
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have always had some white smoke at startup / idle, now at night i notice more and more white smoke as time goes on. Recently i had to change a cooling line, my anti-freeze was not milky, but it sat in the drain bucket and i noticed and oil ring around the edge.

So, think i am looking at a head gasket or worse some rings that are shot. I know, i need to do a compression test to know if my rings are shot.

So, if it's a head gasket is there way to test for sure?

If my rings are shot (low comp), can you do a hone and ring replacement, or at that point are you so far in that you do a full rebuild?

Thanks.

·
Registered
83 300D Turbo
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on rebuilding my existing injectors and replacing the return lines, this would be a good time to also adjust the injection timing.

To date, coolant level looks good, oil is black.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,513 Posts
"but it sat in the drain bucket and i noticed and oil ring around the edge."

This part is still not explained yet. Is it possible there was already some Oil that was in the drain bucket before the Coolant went into it?

A leak in the Transmission Cooler in the Radiator if you have an Auto Trans or as you stated the Head Gasket can cause Oil in the Coolant.
The Engine Oil pressure is way higher than the Coolant pressure so coolant might not mix with the Oil in the Crankcase. Also there might not be a leak at all until the Engine gets hot.

I have to go along with Late Timing as being one of the reasons for white smoke (caused buy unburned atomized Fuel).
I installed a Fuel Injection Pump on my Volvo Diesel. Got it started and a cloud of white smoke billowed out of the Tail Pipe. Advancing the timing took care of that.

You also might line up the Timing Marks behind the Camshaft Gear with the one on the Camshaft Bearing Tower exactly. After that look down at the Degree marks on the Crankshaft Damper and see what the Pointer points to.
When the Engine was built it was set at Zero Degrees (this is top dead center). I bet you will find that your Camshaft Timing is late due to Timing Chain Stretch and Timing Gear wear.
When I checked mine at 198K miles I had 2-1/5 degrees of late timing (this is 2-1/2 degrees after Zero/top dead center).
Since the same Chain drives the Fuel Injection Pump; if the Fuel Injection Pump Timing has never been reset the Fuel Injection Pump would also be injecting late.

·
Registered
83 300D Turbo
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the bucket had ever had oil in it, but it was strange because i would expect that if there was oil in the coolant in would create either a milky color or a milky like swirl.

My winter project now includes:
Valve Adjustment
Injector Replacement
Return Line Replacement
Timing Chain Adjust (if needed)
Timing if adjusted
Injection Timing

and maybe for good measure a diesel purge...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts