Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have doing some reading and now that its been getting colder out the exhaust is more noticeable and Im concerned that the smoke is not black which is indicative of having a diesel engine. Its black sometimes but more on the greyish/whitish side when I see it.

Some posts state that it could be caused by anti-freeze leaking in so I checked my anti-freeze reservoir and see that it is a little low yet I have never seen any in the driveway so it must be going somewhere.

Is my head gasket leaking? Do they make any kind of head gasket sealer like for gasoline engines? What kind of trouble am I in here?

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
well i would first check the state of your coolant. does it seem discolored at all?
then i would do an oil change just to check the quality of the oil. make sure it's not milky or anything. Those would be signs of the head gasket leaking which would let them mix.

If both coolant and oil look OK, then i would just add a little coolant. (could it have just been low and never noticed?)

Then i would do what im about to do (check "engine ticking" thread) and check for timing chain stretch. Bad timing can cause gray smoke.

(oh, p.s. you don't want to use that crap anyways. It might buy you a week to get another car, but it's far from a fix. My dad thought otherwise and the crap completely clogged the radiator on his car)

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i would first check the state of your coolant. does it seem discolored at all?
then i would do an oil change just to check the quality of the oil. make sure it's not milky or anything. Those would be signs of the head gasket leaking which would let them mix.
I just changed the oil about a week ago and it looked black as night. Im going to add some coolant as soon as a find some. Having trouble finding the recommended kind though. I purchased the car about a month ago and just noticed it was low.

I recently did a valve adjustment but did not check for any chain stretch. I do think something is up with the timing though. Im getting some ticking/knocking. Also my air filter shakes hard at idle, seems like something is out of spec.

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
i usually get my coolant from a euro based car shop that i help out at. (two guys there also drive 123's) worst case scenario you have to go to a dealer to get it.

I'm also getting ticking (2,500rpm and up) but no knocking. And my air filter housing shakes at idle as well.

I'm probably going to check my timing chain for stretch fairly soon. You don't necessarily need a new timing chain, just a woodruff key to take out the slack. I plan on doing this myself. I'll probably talked to the guys down at the shop too to see what they think.

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
The air filter housing will shake some. If it shakes a ton, you may have a broken air filter mount bracket. They are famous for breaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts