Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obama intentionally did not mention gun control in his State of the Union, but aides say that in the next two weeks the administration will unveil a campaign to get Congress to toughen existing laws.

(newsweek.com) At the beginning of his State of the Union address, President Obama tipped his hat to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who’s now recuperating in a Houston medical facility. But throughout the hourlong speech, he never addressed the issue at the core of the Giffords tragedy—gun control—and what lawmakers would, or should, do to reform American firearm-access laws.

That was intentional, according to the White House. An administration official says Obama didn’t mention guns in his speech because of the omnipresent controversy surrounding the Second Amendment and gun control. Tuesday’s speech was designed to be more about the economy and how, as Obama repeated nine times, the U.S. could “win the future.”

But in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort in which it will urge Congress to strengthen current laws, which now allow some mentally unstable people, such as alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner, to obtain certain assault weapons, in some cases without even a background check.

Tuesday night after the speech, Obama adviser David Plouffe said to NBC News that the president would not let the moment after the Arizona shootings pass without pushing for some change in the law, to prevent another similar incident. “It’s a very important issue, and one I know there’s going to be debate about on the Hill.”

The White House said that to avoid being accused of capitalizing on the Arizona shootings for political gain, Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month. He’s also expected to use Arizona as a starting point, but make the case that America’s gun laws have been too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks.

As the White House prepares its strategy, several gun-policy groups are saying they were burned by the lack of any mention of guns in the president’s highest-profile speech of the year. “President Obama tonight failed to challenge old assumptions on the need for, and political possibilities of, reducing the gun violence—which he suggested should be done two weeks ago in Tucson,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation’s largest gun-safety group. No group said it had been consulted by the White House regarding legislative suggestions.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has stayed largely silent following the Arizona shootings. Asked about a specialized White House effort on guns, a spokesman for the powerful gun lobby declined to comment.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
There must be some mistake in this article. Everyone knows that we have a separate branch of government that makes our gun laws, known as the NRA. What the article should be saying is that Obama is going to ask the NRA to order Congress to toughen our gun laws. The idea that Congress makes gun laws on it's own is ridiculous. Everyone knows we live in a nation where the NRA has designed our gun laws for our own good. We need not ask them why, we only need to know the NRA has decided that we need to arm lunatics so that the tree of liberty can be watered.

·
Registered
zero
19,471 Posts
"White House to Push Gun Control"

That's a surprise, now isn't it?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
But in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort in which it will urge Congress to strengthen current laws, which now allow some mentally unstable people, such as alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner, to obtain certain assault weapons, in some cases without even a background check.
It will be interesting to see the proposal for this. The only way to show on the NICS background check is to be judged mentally incompetent at a formal hearing; otherwise mental health records – like other medical records – are confidential.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
jdc1244 said:
It will be interesting to see the proposal for this. The only way to show on the NICS background check is to be judged mentally incompetent at a formal hearing; otherwise mental health records – like other medical records – are confidential.
It will be interesting, but like much that comes out of congress, a waste of time. My guess is whatever results will be some "feel good" legislation that would have no effect on a Loughner situation.

It's also interesting that they are calling Loughner's pistol an "assault weapon" when it wasn't. It was a regular pistol with a large clip. This will be as stupid as the discussions in the California assembly that would ban guns that "look like" assault weapons.

I will bet that the most immediate effect will be an upsurge in gun sales.

·
Registered
72 Pinto
6,527 Posts
I'm all for background checks and waiting periods, but limiting magazine capacity is bullshit. And yes, gun sales will sky rocket and ammo will be hoarded again.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Honestly this propaganda makes the gun business just boom. The scare everyone had on assault rifles when obama took office made them practically double for awhile...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
There must be some mistake in this article. Everyone knows that we have a separate branch of government that makes our gun laws, known as the NRA. What the article should be saying is that Obama is going to ask the NRA to order Congress to toughen our gun laws. The idea that Congress makes gun laws on it's own is ridiculous. Everyone knows we live in a nation where the NRA has designed our gun laws for our own good. We need not ask them why, we only need to know the NRA has decided that we need to arm lunatics so that the tree of liberty can be watered.
And how does the gun industry differ from any other?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
It will be interesting, but like much that comes out of congress, a waste of time. My guess is whatever results will be some "feel good" legislation that would have no effect on a Loughner situation.
In that there is no legal way to get someone like Loughner into the offenders’ database.

It's also interesting that they are calling Loughner's pistol an "assault weapon" when it wasn't.
True. Which can be taken further in that there is no such thing as an ‘assault weapon.’

·
Registered
2006 C55
558 Posts
Keep yapping..maybe you will get a treat.:rolleyes:

Honestly.have you nothing better to do than be a full time ass about everything?

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
The gun lobby doesn't need any help from Obama. They do a great job of scaring the hillbillies and rednecks into buying extra arms and ammo all on their own.

Every other country that has strict gun laws doesn't have anywhere near the amount of murders and deaths from guns that we do..and yet..these gun nuts say there is no problem and to make more guns, buy more guns, buy more ammo. It's like trying stop a forest fire by spraying gasoline on it.

We have more guns in this country than we know what to do with. And often times these guns end up in criminals hands due to theft and burglary. And then end up killing people. Vicious little circle..and as long as people are scared shitless into buy more guns & ammo through right wing propaganda (gun manufacturers are a major contributor to right wing politicians) this isn't ending soon.

When people realize you can solve problems by discussion and not by bullets, and when they stop believing the scare tactics from the gun lobby that we all need guns to protect ourselves from violent crimes, when the stats plainly show the odds of having to use a gun on a criminal are incredibly small, and when the supernuts stop believing the rightwing nut agenda that we need to stockpile guns to protect ourselves from our own govt when they decide to come get us...only then will the situation improve. Until then..it's the friggin wild west in America.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The gun lobby doesn't need any help from Obama. They do a great job of scaring the hillbillies and rednecks into buying extra arms and ammo all on their own.

Every other country that has strict gun laws doesn't have anywhere near the amount of murders and deaths from guns that we do..and yet..these gun nuts say there is no problem and to make more guns, buy more guns, buy more ammo. It's like trying stop a forest fire by spraying gasoline on it.

We have more guns in this country than we know what to do with. And often times these guns end up in criminals hands due to theft and burglary. And then end up killing people. Vicious little circle..and as long as people are scared shitless into buy more guns & ammo through right wing propaganda (gun manufacturers are a major contributor to right wing politicians) this isn't ending soon.

When people realize you can solve problems by discussion and not by bullets, and when they stop believing the scare tactics from the gun lobby that we all need guns to protect ourselves from violent crimes, when the stats plainly show the odds of having to use a gun on a criminal are incredibly small, and when the supernuts stop believing the rightwing nut agenda that we need to stockpile guns to protect ourselves from our own govt when they decide to come get us...only then will the situation improve. Until then..it's the friggin wild west in America.
Solutions?

(hint: restricting/banning guns won’t work…)

·
Registered
95 E300
36,850 Posts
Make it illegal for guns to kill people. If guns didn't have people there wouldn't be any problem.

·
Banned
2007 E350 4Matic P2; 2008 GL320 CDI P2
20,153 Posts
Why does the Left believe that anything they don't agree with must be a conspiracy?

It's like they are paranoid AND stupid.

·
Registered
ML500, special edition, CLK550..
179 Posts
This is a true story.

I new a man who was declared mentally ill/unstable by the state back in 1987.

A year later that same state granted him a "Gun Dealers License"...

He sold guns in that state for about twenty years before he died..

During that time period, he received aid from the state for his illness and dealt guns from his garage...

FOR TWENTY YEARS THE STATE NEVER PUT THE 'TWO' TOGETHER...:eek:

true story...

·
Registered
2006 C55
558 Posts

You must have had the crap beat out of you several time by either hillbillies/rednecks or both, because you sure to fixate on them. The last gun scare it wasnt hillbillies and rednecks buying guns either as I saw it in action. Most of these folks were well educated/dressed/professionals scared to death that the left was going to take them away. They werent buying saturday night specials either, they were buying Les Baer premeir2's and High end Ar15's, and ammo was high as hell and they bought it buy the case. One gun store Had a picture of Obama with a plaque under it stating he was salesman of the month for 6 straight months.

It is typical of you thought that any discord is immediately a shot at someone and hillbillie and redneck is your response. Most rednecks are good people unless tey are being screwed with..... Whats next from you, going to jump in there with Jim Smith and FTL and start using the word nigger? Your loosing the arguement so you might as well complete the circle of insults.

Please try to have a fact or 2 right before you attack your keyboard with such bravado.

·
Registered
72 Pinto
6,527 Posts
The people I associate whit are all educated, employed professional people, and we all own guns. Some of us hunt together and some just range shoot, none carry weapons at any time other than those two activities. And almost every one of them bought at least one weapon in the past year, and bought as much ammo as we could find, and none of us has ever shot anyone yet.
Huh, I wonder what happened to that stereotype Nightchicken is so afraid of?

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
How incredibly stereotypically right wing to believe anyone with an advanced college degree who looks at statistics of who actually owns guns and in what states must be speaking out of fear or because something happened to them. See folks..this is why some people need to go to college..so that they don't make the simplest of assumptions about people..or resort to childish games like name calling..oh yea..that really proves what an adult you are and how we can count on your intelligence to lead us out of the woods of this gun infatuated country.

The Most Armed States

1, Kentucky
Population:4,314,113
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents (Dec. 2008 – May 2010): 134,028

2, Utah
Population:2,784,572
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 30,315

3, Montana
Population:974,989
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 25,745

4, Wyoming
Population:544,270
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 22,827

5, Alaska
Population:698,473
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 22,273

6, West Virginia
Population:1,819,777
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 21,455

7, South Dakota
Population:812,383
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 19,062

8, North Dakota
Population:646,844
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 17,829

9, Arkansas
Population:2,889,450
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 17,483

10, Alabama
Population:4,708,708
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 16,860

11, Tennessee
Population: 6,296,254
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 16,684

12, Oklahoma
Population: 3,687,050
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 15,801

13, Idaho
Population: 1,545,801
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 15,764

14, Colorado
Population: 5,024,748
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 15,086

15, Missouri
Population: 5,987,580
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 14,712

16, New Hampshire
Population: 1,324,575
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 14,522

17, Mississippi
Population: 2,951,996
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 14,165

18, Illinois
Population: 12,910,409
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,879

19, Connecticut
Population: 3,518,288
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,783

20, New Mexico
Population: 2,009,671
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,408

21, Louisiana
Population: 4,492,076
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,329

22, Minnesota
Population: 5,266,214
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,285

Most of the states on this list are redneck central. And I'm not using the term "redneck" in a derogatory way, it is used to describe a way of living -just ask any man or woman where I live with the bumper sticker "Proud Redneck" on their car. I know this because I live in one of these beautiful states and many of my neighbors are proud well-to-do rednecks with entire gun armories in their homes. More guns than they will ever need to hunt or target practice with. A few of my neighbors have AK-47'S..and others have Glocks like you would have jars of M&M's..so many of them it's a joke. Most of them DON'T target practice..and only a few hunt..but they hunt with rifles..not with their glocks and AK-47's. And many of them believe Fox "news" and Beck and Rush when they say the govt and Obama will take away their guns soon..so they better stockpile now.

I know what I speak of better than many because I see it with my own eyes. Hard working americans who are so full of fear that everything will be taken away from them by Obama and the govt..and all because they get their "news" from Fox and commentary from Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity. Yes..it is their own fault for believing this bullshit and lies..for not being better educated and using common sense and knowing better..for realizing that these same friggin lies were spread during Clinton's years in office and nothing came of it..and that all these lies serve is to enrichen the gun manufacturers and the right wing commentators scaring the people so badly they feel they need to shoot a congresswoman in the head to make their point about how bad america really is.

For the record, I own a firearm myself, and use it to protect the animals on my property from foraging bears, rattlesnakes and anything else that may do harm. And of course also to protect my family & home if needed. But notice I said I own ONE firearm..not 3, 10 or 20 or more like many dumbasses do who are stockpiling because they believe the right wing commentators who say america is under attack from Obama and the lefties and we "need to take our country back" bullshit from Sarah Palin. My firearm is useable and necessary in my environment..a glock with an extended cartridge or an AK-47 is NOT.

Now..if you guys want to keep insulting me and calling me names like a bunch of schoolgirls instead of men discussing a subject then go ahead (it's the cowards way to name call or insult to win an argument when they know they are wrong), or assume I was someones victim and therefore I am anti-gun then go ahead and keep deluding yourselves. I have noticed that's a common tactic with the righties when they don't want to face the truth or look at the facts beyond what Fox "news" tells them it is.

And trust me when I say if you ever met me in person you would realize why there hasn't been a man yet to take me down..that's what tactical military training has done for some us. Especially those of us who know Obama didn't "take" our country away..nobody is coming after our guns..and we are still a free people. But don't tell Fox "news" that.

Whose the real victim and scared person here? The one who doesn't need more than one weapon to protect his family and homestead..or the ones who are stockpiling because they believe Obama and the govt is out to get them? The answer is crystal clear to me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts