Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my dealer was supposed to be installing the white gauge faces that I got from nrauto.com in my '99 CLK430. They called me and said they weren't going to do it because of the way the needles are 'splined', and they don't want to be responsible if anything happens. <br><br>
<br><br>
I called nrauto and they said the needles pop on and off easily, and it's not a big deal. <br><br>
<br><br>
I took it to the dealer for the simple fact that I don't feel comfortable tearing the dash out of my car.<br><br>
<br><br>
Has anyone performed this operation before?? I would love to do it myself, but the first of eight steps is: remove and disconnect instrument cluster....ouch. I don't even know where to start.<br><br>
<br><br>
Should I just forget about it and return them?? Should I trust some local car stereo shop to do it?? <br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks in advance.<p>SPARK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: White gauge faces>>>Follow your instinct. There are explosive devices triggering airbags, unless

you know what you are doing. <br> <br> Also consider the warranty implication.<br> <br> Whatever you decide, -- Good Luck!!<p>adsl-61-117-109.mia.bellsouth.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty easy to take the cluster out:)

I wouldn't do it myself because I didn't want to be responsible for breaking any of the brackets. I paid $20 to have a MB tech take it out (not dealer). There isn't any screws, just 4 brackets that pop in and out (2 top & 2 bottom). You don't have to unplug the battery because the dash will reset it self once plugged back in. I haven't tried changing the gauges however, so hope you luck on that. I would take it to a MB tech, not the dealer. They charge to much. Don't let any stereo guy touch it either!<p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts