Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Would like to know if any of you guys have experienced the same problems im having on my car. When i get up to speed (round the 50 - 60mph) this whistling (or buzzing) noise starts to occur. It seems to be coming from the lower right of my windscreen :(. The problem's been there since the first day we got the car (in 1996) stupid of me not to bring it in for warranty rectification then :mad:.

On another note, could any of you guys advise on when I should be changing my poly V belt. Mine's an inline 6 E 320 clocked 46,218 miles so far and never been changed since day one.

Thanks and regards...

·
Registered
2002 E55 1998 E430
175 Posts
my 98 would whistle and vibrate at 80mph and above. I replaced the water tray -

plastic item just below the windshield wiper. It is held on with one screw and a tab that slides out. The new one did eliminate the noise but it was much more flimsy then the original. I eventually reinstalled the old one with 3M double sided tape (thick stuff from Loews) and now it is fine. Tape was maybe 6 bucks.

Try it - should do the trick:thumbsup:

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
The belts last very long. You do not have to replace it unless it has cuts, cracks, or other damages. However, if it makes you feel better, then install a new belt because it is not expensive and you can then use the replaced one as a spare.

Belt change on your inline 6 is a little more difficult than on V6 but it is still simple. You need to take off the fan shroud (no need to take off the fan or fan clutch). Then you use a 15 mm socket to turn the center of the tensioner bolt CLOCKWISE (yes, clockwise). That releases the tension and the belt comes off. When you install, you turn it clockwise again to slip it back on.

Your owner's manual should have a diagram showing which pulley is which and the belt diagram.

·
Registered
02 E320 4-matic Wagon, 97 540i
165 Posts
Hi guys,

Would like to know if any of you guys have experienced the same problems im having on my car. When i get up to speed (round the 50 - 60mph) this whistling (or buzzing) noise starts to occur. It seems to be coming from the lower right of my windscreen :(. The problem's been there since the first day we got the car (in 1996) stupid of me not to bring it in for warranty rectification then :mad:.

On another note, could any of you guys advise on when I should be changing my poly V belt. Mine's an inline 6 E 320 clocked 46,218 miles so far and never been changed since day one.

Thanks and regards...

same problem, i noticed the rubber is cracked along the edge of mine, part #'s anyone...?

·
Registered
E-Class 300 TD 1998, E-Cllass 290 TDi 1996, 601 DKB 1982(207D)
117 Posts
Some parts deserve to be delivered by the "starpharmacy"....sometimes they amaze me positively in their price..sometimes they don't. I have the advantage to be living quite close to "the heimat", some parts are over there 20-30% cheaper as in Holland.

Cheers,
Ingmar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts