Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm gonna say this now, before is too late!
Make sure you mark everything you take apart to be sure it goes back in the same spot.
Then, again, why are you taking the valves out? Just because you need to ship it?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The intake valves would be on the drivers side and the exhaust on the passenger side. The intakes are larger than the exhaust.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I'm curious why the shop wants you to take the valves out..they'll be the ones fitting them/making sure the clearances are good etc, etc, etc...

General rule of thumb, the bigger valve is the intake:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Please dont take this the wrong way but I would suggest if you cant work out which is which you are most likely operating outside of your mechanical abilities and mercedes engines are not what I would concider to be ideal to learn on...
on the other hand not enough people try to sort stuff themselfs and getting to know your car more intimately is a valuable bonding experience between man and machine lol.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please dont take this the wrong way but I would suggest if you cant work out which is which you are most likely operating outside of your mechanical abilities and mercedes engines are not what I would concider to be ideal to learn on...
on the other hand not enough people try to sort stuff themselfs and getting to know your car more intimately is a valuable bonding experience between man and machine lol.
Dont take this the wrong way Newbie. The point of this forum is more help other figure out how to fix things. If you cant help in this regards-keep your advice to yourself.

Jonathan,
I spoke to Joe in Mineola and he wanted the spings a bit loose during shipping. That is all I did. Loosen up the 4 bolts so there was some movement. I UPS'ed the head today.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hey Hey its all good mate, wasnt tryin to be smart or tick you off ,it just seemed like an odd question for someone in the prosess of dismantaling an engine to that degree,thats all.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way Newbie. The point of this forum is more help other figure out how to fix things. If you cant help in this regards-keep your advice to yourself.

Jonathan,
I spoke to Joe in Mineola and he wanted the spings a bit loose during shipping. That is all I did. Loosen up the 4 bolts so there was some movement. I UPS'ed the head today.

Ah, Very good...You'll be nothing but pleased with what comes back...it's like Christmas:)

Good luck with it!

Jonathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts