Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was searching the forums and could not find a definitive answer to my question.

I know that the Bipes mp3 adapter is the best way to go. But if you don't wnat to fuss with finding a volumne controller this and that, what would be the best second option? FM modulator or Cassette adapter in terms of sound quality.

Even with an inline FM Modulator, I would think the cassette adapter but just wanted to get everyones opinion before I pick my path and walk it. Please help thanks!

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I've used both...A long time ago i used to hook up a CD player with a tape adapter, and I currently use iTrip with my ipod. I've found that they both have their advantages. The cassette adapter is overall and consistently better quality if you get a good one, but it is ugly and I'm not sure it would even work with the way the SLK tape deck is...with the screen flipping down. The FM modulator (based on my experience with my iTrip) has pretty good sound quality...most of the time. Sometimes it gets interference, which is really annoying, but it's really nice because you can just throw your ipod or whatever into the glove box or center console or whatever. Even when using the iTrip with 2 12" subs in my car, the bass is still pretty tight and doesnt get distorted....

So overall, if you don't mind that sometimes there will be interference, I'd go with the FM modulator. The tape deck is just old school and is cumbersome/ugly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, I know the quality of the bipes is the best. However, my mp3 source doesn't have a volume control, so I would need to make one of those and then install everything. Dunno, just a real pain in the arse.

I am thinking of the tape adapter, but just wanted to get everyones opinion on how much better the sound quality is compared to the FM modulator. I know they have an inline FM modulator now that taps directly into your antenna input. But I heard the quality is still not as good as CD.

Oh well, anymore thoughts from people? Anyone do the cassette thing? I heard you can hide the wires and the tape.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Guys, before you invest 100$ into Bipes - think about getting a New HU (Nak CD45-z for 300$ with line-in) and not having to deal with this mess and getting a better sound.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
eh, that thing is pretty big and has to be plugged in. IMO, when going for this type of "makeshift" hookup, or in any case, you want as few if no visible wiring or equipment.

Boston-bimmer, what type of music player are you planning on using this on? CD player? ipod? other mp3?

FM transmitters aren't as bad as some people say/think...but hardwired is always better than not. If you're not too big on exceptional quality (you're not gonna get it with either), I'd go with an FM transmitter if you can find a nice compact wire-free one, like the iTrip.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I prefer the sound quality of Eclipse, Alpine & NAK vs. JVC.

Last FM transmitter I used generally had the sound quality of a good FM station. At times is would sound like a poor quality FM station, but for the most part it was not too bad.

I have the bipes adapter and purchased an a Clarion EQ w/ volume control.

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
Up until I got my iPod adapter for my Cobra, I used the iPod in the SLK with a tape adapter...it works perfectly. I'm just too lazy to unplug the iPod from the Cobra...eventually I'll have two iPods I'm sure. So I'm back to the changer, which skips over every bump and I have less music. But the tape adapter worked flawlessly. You just have to find one with a thin cable so you can close the door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts