Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEC
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thinking of replacing the rad hoses on my 1991 560SEC. Should I go MB original or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Thorsten

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,755 Posts
Check out what the online vendors offer, GermanStar and autohausaz among others.

·
Registered
1991 560SEC
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I guess I should have been a little more forthcoming about why I'm asking. I'm planning a driving holiday this summer from Edmonton to San Francisco, which may take us through parts of Nevada. So I'm thinking of replacing the rad hoses as a preventative maintenance measure. Occasionally the experts here advise to go with MB original over aftermarket parts because of their superior quality. So I'm just wondering if there are views about rad hose quality differences that I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Thorsten

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
Thorsten,

If you're worried about cooling, the hoses wouldn't be my first concern. The hoses burst when the pressure in the system gets too high, which is due to other issues with the system.

How old is your radiator, and do you have any engine temperature issues?

Depending on its age, you may want to replace your radiator with a new Behr or Nissens unit. Change all hoses with the new radiator (I'm not up to speed on which brand is the best).

If you're comfortable with your radiator, you may want to change the cap (cheap insurance) and have a system flush done (drain system, run with citric acid for at least 30 minutes, run with clean water until the suds are gone, refill with MB coolant).

Remove the shroud and blow compressed air through the radiator and AC condenser (both ways) to clean out the debris that builds up there.

Good luck on your trip.

·
Premium Member
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
510 Posts
Hi all, I'm thinking of replacing the rad hoses on my 1991 560SEC. Should I go MB original or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Thorsten
Mercedes consistently has the best rubber products for our cars; however, you will pay more for the quality, though not as much as you may expect. Get to know the guys at the parts counter and get them to like you. The local dealer sells parts wholesale to me now. (Don't worry - they still make a profit.) On my classic American cars I used Gates hoses and belts when NOS wasn't available. They seemed to be good quality.

Axel, Nissens radiators are very good quality. They do not have the metal reinforced necks like Behr, but the company insist their composite material is 33% stronger than Behr. I installed one on my 300SE last year and the cooling efficiency was excellent and the quality of materials was also excellent.

Behr radiators are now made in China - who knows if the build quality is still there. It is hard for me to pay a premium for a radiator that may not be premium.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,755 Posts
What everyone said.
But you should also take a closer look at your fan clutch, and whether any rusty water leaks from the pump.
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts