Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are considering trading in our Pacifica for an R350. The local MB dealer has two 2007 R350 certified vehicles on the lot. Both are currently listed at the same price: $26,997. One was purchased at auction, and was a "fleet lease", and has 37k miles. The other is a local trade and has had all service performed by the selling dealer. This car has 50k miles. The 50k car also has DVD entertainment (important for long trips with the 9 and 4 year olds), park-assist, and a few other minor options that the 37K car does not have. Dealer has indicated that they are willing to deal a little on the price of either car. I'm leaning towards the 50K car, because it's local, been serviced by the dealer and has important features for us. My wife is concerned about the higher mileage and wants to consider the 37k car.
Knowing that both cars come with a one year warranty, what are the opinions from the forum about which car to buy? Really great car BTW! Thanks for the input and advice.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
If the vehicles are both certified pre-owned then they both have an additional year of MB warranty left on top of the original warranty up to 100K miles. Now, I think you need to look at features and options on each car. Remember that anything you want to add down the road will be prohibitively expensive (like in thousands), so you are better off buying the one you want now. To me 37K and 50K miles are almost identical, so mileage is not an issue. The fact that the one is local and the other one was sold at auction is also of no importance. Dealers typically do that to move stock around the country and have a better variety on their lots. The fact that was a fleet-lease tells me it was a corporate car. What you want to see and compare is the maintenance history of both cars. Ask to see the records they have for each car. Even if the 37K car was maintained elsewhere they should have records in the database. Then go accordingly. Good luck!

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Also, there is a mandatory transmission fluid replacement at 39K that costs about $400. So make sure you see that in the records or have them perform it.

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
New R350 Action

You did not mention which vehicle you selected. In either case, obtain the maintenance history. Make sure the rigorous work was performed, including replacement of the brake fluid and lubing the sun-roof, which most have. Also, the tranny fluid, which should have been done at 39k miles. Do These!

Finally, verify that the most recent oil change used an MB filter and the MB 229.51 oil, i.e. Mobil 1 0-40M e.

You now have a vehicle that is light years better than the Pacifica, although the Pacifica was D-M design and is similar in profile to the R. The resemblance stops at the appearance level. Your R is much stronger and safer, in all respects, and the components much more precise. Treat it with care and it will have a long life.

My 2cw...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We bought the R350 with 50k miles on it. Got a great deal on both the M-B and our trade in. It's a local car and has had all the service done at the local dealer from whom we bought the car. Yes, all the important mile-stone service work has been done. We love the car. Worlds better and more solid than the Pacifica, which was a great car in its own right.

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Now it's time to find a good independant to work on your vehicle so you can save some money on servicing. There are quite a few folks here that say you must use the 229.5 spec oil...I will say make sure they use the right viscosity for your local climate and that it is synthetic oil. I know of many MB dealers that don't even use the Mobil 1 syn oil. That is my .02. Also stay away from those quick lube service centers, they use the cheap paper insert filters that don't stay in place and I have seen many come apart before the next oil change is due, mainly the o ring those filters come with for the oil housing leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Car has a three year 100k warranty. We also have an excellent independent M-B servicer here. I only use Mobil-1, so no issues there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts