Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've read through a lot of this forum, and I apologize if I'm asking an obvious question.

I recently purchased a 600sel, and none of the air activated accessories work. The door assist doesn't function, the lumbar seats don't work, the central locks don't work, the trunk handle doesn't automatically deploy / retract, and the rear antenna-things don't work.

Clearly I've got some air issues. I thought there was one pump, but it sounds like there are two pumps? One for the door assist, and one for the locks / lumbar?

Also, the climate control doesn't seem to totally work, and I'm wondering if any of that system is air controlled by the same pumps?

Thanks in advance for any advice any of you can offer.

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I hope you got a good price!
The door locks, trunk handle, lumbars, back up rods, trunk handle and vacuum head rest release (not yours) are controlled by the pump under the rear passenger seat in a foam enclosure.This pump also provides auxilliary vacuum for the HVAC, and the pressure for the lumbars.
The other pump (which fails more often is located over the drivers side rear wheel next to the gas tank controls the draw in of the doors, and trunk lid, and sometimes if the service bulletin to move the trunk handle was applied (new lock also)
These pumps have safeties, two tries on the doors and trunk and it disables it.
I would read this excellent article on the "close pump", especially removing the fuse to see if you can get life into it at least temporarily. All Data use pcmahers link so he gets credit, and the MB DVD are one of the few sources of info, Also doing a search will get you a lot of info. And last of all Brets write up on the pump
V12 Uber Alles, Do It Yourself Repair for Mercedes Benz S600

Star Service CDs and DVDs

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,474 Posts
^What he said. I'll only add that both pumps tend to fail with some regularity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll go to work and let you know how it works out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts