- Change rear lamps (tailights)
- Change turn lamps
- Install steering wheel
- Install rims
- Wash
- Wax
- Change wiper blade
- and other small things

Replacing axle, ball joints, clutch, tune-ups, shock absorbers, etc, (The "greasy part") I left it to my mechanics. I'm not handy with tools after all
[;)]

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
tiger_biru - 3/8/2005 8:11 PM

For me, my "DIY" is:
- Change oil filter
- Change oil
- Change air filter
- Change spark plugs
- Add brake fluids
- Change body chrome strips
- Change headlights bulbs
- Change rear lamps (tailights)
- Change turn lamps
- Install steering wheel
- Install rims
- Wash
- Wax
- Change wiper blade
- and other small things

Replacing axle, ball joints, clutch, tune-ups, shock absorbers, etc, (The "greasy part") I left it to my mechanics. I'm not handy with tools after all
[;)]
To me everything is DIY that doesn't require special, costly tools that I don't have and doesn't require two or more people. I am game to try anything once.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
My DIY would be:

Change fuel filters
Replace momovalve
New plugs/cap/rotor/wires
New belts/hoses
New brake pads
Replace fuses and electrical stuff
Install new grill screen
Test/replace glow plugs
Replace leaking hand pump

Suspension work, transmission, rear axle is beyond me…

But if I had a lift I could do a lot more.
[8D][:D]

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I once tried to fix the rear window problem. All I got was missing bolt(s), sweaty hands, pinched fingers and still the same rear window problem....[B)]

I once tried following Haynes manual but still no luck.[V]

I think some people is handy with tools some don't.

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
DIY on a 123 is just about everything except the internals of the auto (scary)[xx(]. It all really depends on how adventurous you are & if you can't put it all back together ,there is always someone who can[;)]

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
Adjusting the valves, linkage and vacuum lines has worked wonders for me.
Everyone here trys to help and if you don't panic ( and have a 2nd vehicle) you get it done.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I do everything except transmission repairs and wheel alignment. If a transmission needs internal repair more than a fluid/filter change I'd just as soon take it out and put another in before even attempting to fix it myself. Other than that, I'll take a car apart and put it back together piece by piece aside from anything I need a special tool for that I can't get my hands on. So far, the only thing I've ever needed to take in was a pressed in wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Stevenpfaff - 3/9/2005 4:30 PM

I do everything except transmission repairs and wheel alignment. If a transmission needs internal repair more than a fluid/filter change I'd just as soon take it out and put another in before even attempting to fix it myself. Other than that, I'll take a car apart and put it back together piece by piece aside from anything I need a special tool for that I can't get my hands on. So far, the only thing I've ever needed to take in was a pressed in wheel bearing.
pressed in wheel bearing? what do you mean? i took off the front bearings this week and they are not pressed in.. they just fall off.. no? [B)]

as for me, I am a DIY person! I like to attempt to do anything myself! I like to ask a lot of opinions and advice first though :) and read ANY info over and over to make sure what i'm doing [;)]
what i have never done is stuff like bodywork.. panel beating & spray painting! i also have never worked on the gearbox and diff & stuff like that but i dont see why i shouldnt when the time comes ..

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
banflu - 3/9/2005 5:07 PM

pressed in wheel bearing? what do you mean? i took off the front bearings this week and they are not pressed in.. they just fall off.. no? [B)]
Banflu, I have owned 45+ cars. A lot of cars, especially front wheel drive cars, have pressed in wheel bearings that are sealed and not servicable.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Normally, but the items you listed as DIY would apply to any vehicle. Even jobs like brake pads, wheel bearings, engine swaps can apply to any vehicle. If you can work on one car proficiently, you can work on anything.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right Steven, can't argue that[:)]

Somehow I feel happier if I went to the repairshop and give my car to "the expert". I know the problem before, of course, thanks to this forum. I'm only not keen to go underbody
[:)][:)]

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
I'll draw the line at fabricating a tubular steel chassis, without the proper equipment and a really nice house in which to garage it for at least the circa. 2yrs I'd spent doing it properly.
Short of that, have workshop, will DIY, drink much cans of Jim Beam and wear anybody's ears out who happen to be around. I'm so skinny I can do that without getting a beer gut or anything.
[:)]

·
Registered
500SE 1990
387 Posts
For me first project - VW Beetle 1972 FULL restoration-just interesting .Engine - on the kitchen , oil on the floor...
Sorry , very first project Java 634 ( Bike ).
After all VW look *like New*.Rebuilt everything - interior , exterior , engine ...sweet ride car !
W123 1978 230 - engine rebuilt at 1993-1994... winter...
(kitchen again...) Good result anyway.W/o lift...

Respray - no problem ...

Oil change ???[:D]

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I usually pay for oil changes. A friend once laughed at me, after I told him I was going to get an oil change, saying "Let me get this straight, you just changed your engine two months ago but you won't change your oil?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts