Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put an injection line heater (ILH) on my car (1999 E300). The website says it draws ~8 amps. Any recommendation as to where to draw that power from?

This is because I want to run a mixture of WVO and diesel during the summer months. In the colder months I'll run pure diesel. Do you think the ILH being on will matter if I run diesel, or should I turn it off for diesel?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
How long does it have to run? I'm assuming it needs to be turned on before you try to start the engine?

I would be tempted to tap an inline fuse holder through a lug connector to the output lug on the alternator for the (+) connection. Then splice the other end of the fuse holder to the supply wire running in a sheath to the connection point, tying it down at regular intervals. The ground is easier, of course.

As far as using it all the time, it shouldn't really matter, though I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to. No sense having the extra load if you don't need it, right?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Olivier runs his diesel on veggies mixed with some other stuff for better start up in his cold country. Follow his latest replies where he reports that he got rid of electric heater. Suppose the engine original fuel heater does a good job once the engine is warm.
If you want additional power, I would tap to the power post under the hood, while putting fused cable on it.

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fattywagon says it will take a couple of minutes to get hot. I plan to run it about 50/50 mixture, so I don't anticipate much problem in starting even if it's cold. Right now I have about 1/3 WVO to 2/3 diesel and it starts fine - I put in no extra equipment. I just thought I'd put in the injection line heater to thin out the mixture a bit.

Thanks for the advice about power. And you'r right, I think I'll put in a switch for the times when I don't use WVO.

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kajtek1, I'll look for Olivier's posts later. And I imagine the power post only has power when the key is turned to accessory or engine on?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thanks Kajtek1, I'll look for Olivier's posts later. And I imagine the power post only has power when the key is turned to accessory or engine on?
Nope. It's always hot, as is the output lug on the alternator.

If you want something switched, you'd have to run a relay (to carry the current) and tie the trigger to a switched accessory.

I don't mean to sound unduly harsh, but your questions concern me a little and if all of this sounds a bit foreign to you, I'd encourage you to have it hooked up by a qualified professional. Smoking or shorted electrical circuits will cost you lots more than having it done properly, and fires...well, let's not even go there, shall we? ;)

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. It's always hot, as is the output lug on the alternator.

If you want something switched, you'd have to run a relay (to carry the current) and tie the trigger to a switched accessory.

I don't mean to sound unduly harsh, but your questions concern me a little and if all of this sounds a bit foreign to you, I'd encourage you to have it hooked up by a qualified professional. Smoking or shorted electrical circuits will cost you lots more than having it done properly, and fires...well, let's not even go there, shall we? ;)
LOL No, no, it's fine to get me to be careful :) But I am confortable with electricity.

I'll look at the existing fuses to see what might be suitable. I wanted to take a shortcut using an existing circuit and I thought I might get a head start by getting a pointer.

And I agree - fires are to be avoided :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
LOL No, no, it's fine to get me to be careful :) But I am confortable with electricity.

I'll look at the existing fuses to see what might be suitable. I wanted to take a shortcut using an existing circuit and I thought I might get a head start by getting a pointer.

And I agree - fires are to be avoided :)
There isn't a switched circuit on the car that would handle an additional 8-amp load. I don't mean to sound unduly critical, but being "comfortable" with electricity is not the same thing as being competent, and the rest of your post -- particularly the shortcut stuff -- is very troubling.

MB's wiring is nearly marginal in some areas already. (Head and fog lights for example.) There is precious little margin for anything.

As I suggested, you *may* be able to use an existing circuit for the trigger on a relay, but you will need a fused, dedicated circuit for the heater itself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There isn't a switched circuit on the car that would handle an additional 8-amp load. I don't mean to sound unduly critical, but being "comfortable" with electricity is not the same thing as being competent, and the rest of your post -- particularly the shortcut stuff -- is very troubling.

MB's wiring is nearly marginal in some areas already. (Head and fog lights for example.) There is precious little margin for anything.

As I suggested, you *may* be able to use an existing circuit for the trigger on a relay, but you will need a fused, dedicated circuit for the heater itself.

Good luck.
Thanks - that's the kind of info I needed. I am a EE and I rewired parts of a couple of my houses, as well as put in various home electric sockets, fans, lights, etc. No major stuff, but I am comfortable with electricity and circuits. I'd try to use an existing circuit when possible, but I have put in additional breakers as needed. That's my shortcut - using existing stuff as long as it's adequate.

In this case, I was thinking of using the cigarette lighter circuit since I don't smoke and I very rarely use the lighter for charging my phone. I have a dumb phone that goes days between charges :)

I'd have to check to see what the cigarette lighter fuse is rated at, but at least it is switched.

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask to see if anything else might be suggested where I wouldn't have to give up a function (even as little as it's used).

And you may be concerned about my not doing anything else to my car to use WVO. If so, do you have any specific concerns or guidance you might want to provide?

Thanks, and take care.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Cigarette lighter socket is at least 15 amp, so you could spade the connections at fuse box. Where is fuse box on W210? I think it is under the hood on passenger side, but driving 3 W210 in 7 years I don't recall need to go there.

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure where the cigarette lighter fuse is so I'll have to look for that.

Initially I was going to disconnect the cigarette lighter, but if the fuse is 15A, I think I'll leave it connected for the occasional charging purposes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts