·
Registered
97 E320
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mickey.1430 said:
You will find a list of approved oils here:
Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations
The quoted thread has aproved oil types for model years 98 and up. Of course with my luck I have a 97' E320. I know that there are threads that suggest everything from 0w 40 to 10w 40. Someone please tell me which it is. I live in Ohio were it is hot as hell during the summer and cold as you know what in the winter. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Your car was imported with the old-style conventional motor oil. If I were you, I would use whatever it tells you in your owner's manual. You will probably get replies that advise synthetic oil, but I am not a big fan of changing a car over (mid-stream if you will) if it has a lot of miles on it.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
You're welcome. And by the way, my family is originally from Ohio too; my parents met in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
99 E430 Sport
115 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread, but since im using 10w40 Mobil 1 Extended. Is this going to be a problem on my car?

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Do you have an oil leak? Look carefully at the upper timing cover in the front of the engine on the passenger side (near the fan). If you have the oil diaper (aka the belly panel) still on, an oil leak will not drip on the garage floor.

If there is no oil leak, you can pretty much use either mineral or synthetic but make sure you use the correct viscosity. A thick 10W-30 (you need to read the specs), 0W-40, 5W-40, 10W-40, or 15W-40. In the summer you can use xW-40, for example. In the winter, a thick 10W-30 or any synthetic xW-40.

If there is a small leak, then it is a different story. I have the same car and has that small seep of oil. I really wanted to use synthetic but it leaks bad there. After many experimentation, I use a mix. This is a controversial topic so take what it is worth.

I am a big fan of the universal oil (aka diesel rated) 15W-40 oils (they also carry SL or SM ratings for gas engines). These oils are very stable and have high detergency (keeps the engine clean). In the summer I use 5 quarts of this 15W-40 and 2 quarts of synthetic 10W-30. In the winter I use 4 quarts of this 15W-40 and 3 quarts of synthetic 10W-30. The reason I mix in some synthetic is to get easier start-up lubrication.

As for brands, Chevron Delo 400, Mobil 1300, and Shell Rotella are the popular 15W-40's. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Q are easy to find for the synthetic. Sometimes, Advanced Auto Parts will have “buy one get one free” deal (BOGOF) for the Pennzoil and Quaker State synthetic.

The bottom line is this (no matter what the purists have to say): If you use a modern SL or SM rated oil of the correct viscosity (xW-40 or thick Xw-30), you will not have lubrication related problems in your engine. That is what counts.

·
Registered
97 E320
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I grew in Charlottesville, VA. I love Cincy but Dayton is not so special. I see you do medical marketing. I am an Ortho tech and working on getting into ortho hardware sales. I hope to see you if we meet up in MD or VA!!!

Thanks again,

Michael

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Ternati2000 said:
I grew in Charlottesville, VA. I love Cincy but Dayton is not so special. I see you do medical marketing. I am an Ortho tech and working on getting into ortho hardware sales. I hope to see you if we meet up in MD or VA!!!
Thanks again, Michael
Hey Michael, Dave here. I'm glad you explained that because I didn't know where Beavercreek was. My boss lives in Dayton and I graduated from Antioch in Yellow Springs. I used to know that area somewhat well, but it's been a long time since I was anywhere near there.

We do wound care, so we are a service oriented business. Ortho sales is a great job, so good luck with getting into that.

·
Registered
97 E320
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I grew up in YS. My dad went to Antioch! In fact my family still lives in YS. Very small world.

Michael

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
WOW, it really is my friend. Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
The requirement to use synthetic oil came about on the '98 models with their new V6 & V8 engines as well as the FSS, flexible service system, which allowed the car to tell the owner when it needed to be serviced. Thanks to the synthetic oil & the fleece (long life) filter, these cars can go 12-18k between changes. Older ones can use synthetic oil as well, just be careful to not go quite so long as 12k+.

When Mobil 1 came out in '74 or '75, I was in high school. I changed the oil in my Mom's car & mine then to Mobil 1 & went with annual/12k oil changes per Mobil at that time. Worked great!

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Ternati2000 said:
The quoted thread has aproved oil types for model years 98 and up. Of course with my luck I have a 97' E320. I know that there are threads that suggest everything from 0w 40 to 10w 40. Someone please tell me which it is. I live in Ohio were it is hot as hell during the summer and cold as you know what in the winter. Any input would be appreciated.
Read the site again, it has specs for 1997 and older models.
For Vehicles Without Flexible Service System: USA vehicles MY 1997 and earlier
IMPORTANT: Engine oils are labelled on the container with various ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles) and /or API (American Petroleum Institute) designations of quality. Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of MB approved engine oils listed in the Mercedes-Benz oil specification sheet 229.3 or 229.5 which also meet ACEA and/or API classifications listed on the chart below. If a MB approved or ACEA quality engine oil is not available, then an API quality engine oil meeting the below listed API classifications can be used. Only engine oils (including synthetic) with any of the following classification grades, or combinations thereof, are approved.
Those ACEA classifications are A3 and B3, the API classifications are SJ and SL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts