Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pic #1
I am holding the cig power adapter in my hand-- which is the power wire/ground... brown, green/black stripe, or grey/blue stripe?

pic #2
need to tap into the dome light to install a rear-view backup system monitor thingy-- which is the power? there is one all brown going to some screws in the metal (ground) and two brown/pink striped wires. there are also a second little bundled set that have a purple, red and white, and a brown I think

pic #3
if you ever need to remove the rear view (rearview)mirror, just grab it and yank towards you, hard. it pops right out. ps-almost cracked the dome light, so make sure that's out of the way and not dangling down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
oh. im not sure about that but how do you remove the dome light>? from where are you sitting? the passenger side, driver side? or are you saying to pull just to the rear?? so it will feel like its going to break? if i take mine out, ill take pics to show you what goes where. but if you already know that... then sorry mate, i dunno

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Scoop! You should have a 12v test lite when doin jobs like that! Will tell you what wires are hot with just a poke of the probe![;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LNKNSOLDIER:
you sit in the drivers side. put 2 fingers in teh sunroof switch and push hard to the passenger side-- it will give a little then pull down. do a search for "darn dome lights" and you'll see my write up on it.

SMOKIE:
LOL... I am on my way to the dollar store to get one of those. Never used one in my life! How do you even use it? What, you poke a hole in the wire to get to the center and it lights to tell you which is the power?

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
scoopcoupe - 5/15/2005 10:57 AM

LOL... I am on my way to the dollar store to get one of those. Never used one in my life! How do you even use it? What, you pokea hole in teh wire to get to the center and it lights to tell you which is the power?
No need to poke hole in wire. Just stick probe in each respective conectors inlet and light will flash for hot wire. I was thinking more along the lines of a hardware store. Those dollar stores give me the creeps[:0][:0][:0].

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Just make sure you have a GOOD ground for the little wire hangin from the lite!! Lots of plastic in cars nowdays!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] BC is right pay a couple of bucks and get decent one!!

Smokie

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
as far as I know, in all MBs, brown = ground

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brown = ground

you are definitely right there.... brown = ground. I found a nest of brown going to one monster screw after taking out the ashtray. looked like the machines in the matrix. anyone know about the cigarette plug???? got the tester (radio shack digital bad boy) and figured out the dome light (and radio), not getting luck with the cig plug. done everything but poke through the wire, which I don't want to do. cig plug anyone?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Are you lookin for the hot wire on the cig lighter? If so just put tester to ground and touch the center of the plug at the bottom! I am pretty sure the center is hot!![8)]

Smokie

·
Registered
E320 Coupe
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you must be hot since your name is smokie [}:)].... all done with the 2 projects.

proj 1
installed mp3 cd changer--- skipped the cig plug hot and went with tapping into the radio's heat

proj 2
backup sensor system install--- phew! getting that rearview mirror back on was one bad *$#^% <- insert favorite expletive here) I was lying on my back in the front seats trying to kick the thing in. that was a workout. never take it out unless you REALLY need to. drilled a hole in the back of the mirror and fed the wire up into the dome light area by drilling another hole (yikes!) have pics.... will post later.

still don't know which is the hot one for the cig plug though..... even with the fancy dancy radio shack tester.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts