355 Posts

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
novabenz said:
This information is interesting.

However, in the United States, it is the "ricer" Honda S2000 that leads :(

http://www.google.com/trends?q=slk%2C+boxster%2C+z4%2C+s2000&ctab=1&geo=US&date=all
Interesting Indeed, not surprised that the SLK is more popular in Europe than here in the states. Honda S2000 leads obviously, just take a short cruise and you will see them everywhere, more than an other convertibles except Miata's, can't blame those who drive it either, easy to tune, reliable, really cheap for a slightly used one.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
That doesn't really tell the true story of popularity, which can only be measured in pure sales terms. It's been written in the media that the SLK outsells the Z4 by 3 to 1 worldwide. In fact BMW have slashed production twice in successive years because of plummeting demand. Maybe they shouldn't have made it so ugly, then. As for the S2000, well in the UK at least, it's probably something like 10:1 in favour of the SLK. The screaming four cylinder engine and digital instruments aren't for everyone, despite its other undoubted attributes, and you can't help thinking it would be a much bigger seller with a 6 cylinder and a much nicer interior. The Boxster isn't so far behind though, and the TT and 350Z are in the mix somewhere as well, although probably closer to the Z4 in sales terms. What is really positive is that there is so much choice now, in the sector which was really revitalised by the Boxster and R170, giving other manufacturers the confidence to invest in new products. Apart from Mazda going it alone at a much lower price point, it was all but dead before then.

I read today that the best selling AMG model last year was the SLK55. Also the M3 outsells the entire AMG range in the UK by 2.5:1 which is interesting. And, having read a review of the new E63, I want one :)

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Beauty is in the Eye of the Owner!

Steve, I agree wholeheartedly that first Mazda, and then MB and Porsche, revived the moribund roadster market. After the safety scares in the U.S. in the 1970s, convertibles of any type were a dead issue. The Miata was the first clean-sheet roadster of the new era. The BMW Z3 was first out of the starting blocks for the Germans, though I could never appreciate its bulbous hood and truncated rear end. The R170, with its pioneering Vario Roof, inspired many a car manufacturer and, eventually, led to the R230 SL. For some reason, the "doorstop" looks of the S2000 have never appealed much to me. It reminds me of an updated TR7, without the excessive wedge shape. The high-revving engine isn't for everyone, myself included. As an owner of both a 2001 Boxster and a 2006 SLK 350, I find much to like in both of them, and many contrasts, as well. It still astounds many people who have seen my SLK to learn that it is about seven inches shorter than the Boxster. The long bonnet and raked-back windscreen are deceiving. When I first had my '04 SL 500, it was parked nose-to-tail with my father's 2003 E320. A neighbor commented that the SL was quite a bit longer than the E-Class. Again, the long bonnet and sharply-raked windscreen created this illusion. We are all truly fortunate to have the large range of choice that is now available in the sports-car class. Long may it continue! Dinoman

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK350 MT LHD & 09 SLK350 7G RHD
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
When you analyze it more closely, the three things that you mentioned, in addition to giving men pleasure, also often bring us misery (but not necessarily in the same order!). Dinoman

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
I think Z4, SLK, S2000, Z350, Miata even Daihatsu Copen whatever roadster you buy, you are then a member of great club. Roadster owners are not just drivers. We are driving lovers, we make contact with the roads in a similar way that motorcyclers make. I live for my pleasure and having a SLK is just on of the many other ways. I don't care which one is the most popular, for every car owner his car is the one. I used to have a Clio and I was in love with it. I even cried when I sold it to buy my SLK because I had great memories with that car. Now the feelings for my SLK is stronger of course, sometimes my girlfriend envies my car. When I lock the car I can't help to look over my shoulders and say "you are so b eautiful!". So many of you may be doing similar things too, as we are men of pleasure the cars don't matter for me, if you have a roadster welcome to our club.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts