Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have searched the threads for an answer. I see several threads that comment on how to replace an antenna assembly. I also see a thread that explains OEM alternative brand antenna problems. I do not see a thread that addresses which is the correct antenna (OEM with part number). I have tried to install an aftermarket mast and I cannot get it to go in. Also, there seems to be a part missing that holds the mast inside the chrome collar and grommet. I know how they are supposed to go in, it just seems like the nylon cord is to large in diameter to be "sucked" into the electronic mechanism. A member mentioned on another thread that some of the power antennae offered for sale online do not allow for the antenna switch in the dash to be used (that is to say, it either goes all the way up or all the way down and is only controlled by the radio power). I want a direct OEM replacement that is fully functional (as Mercedes-Benz intended it). So:

1. Has anyone else had issues installing aftermarket replacement masts? If so, what did you do to overcome this?
2. Has anyone replaced the entire assembly? If so, was it difficult and where did you purchase the assembly? Does your replacement assembly have full functionality?

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
Okay, I have searched the threads for an answer. I see several threads that comment on how to replace an antenna assembly. I also see a thread that explains OEM alternative brand antenna problems. I do not see a thread that addresses which is the correct antenna (OEM with part number). I have tried to install an aftermarket mast and I cannot get it to go in. Also, there seems to be a part missing that holds the mast inside the chrome collar and grommet. I know how they are supposed to go in, it just seems like the nylon cord is to large in diameter to be "sucked" into the electronic mechanism. A member mentioned on another thread that some of the power antennae offered for sale online do not allow for the antenna switch in the dash to be used (that is to say, it either goes all the way up or all the way down and is only controlled by the radio power). I want a direct OEM replacement that is fully functional (as Mercedes-Benz intended it). So:

1. Has anyone else had issues installing aftermarket replacement masts? If so, what did you do to overcome this?
2. Has anyone replaced the entire assembly? If so, was it difficult and where did you purchase the assembly? Does your replacement assembly have full functionality?
I have the entire assembly OEM for sale, including a mast. I've been trying to get rid of it (bought the wrong one:rolleyes:).

The only thing I don't have is the metal bracket that bolts to the body and to the antenna motor, you should still have it if you removed a broken antenna.

PM me.

Edit: I have a used WORKING assy. The mast is the correct for the motor. I bought the wrong one (motor) for my car which uses the 1983-on motor.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
There are two masts, a toothed version and un-toothed version. They are not interchangeable.

That said, you might just want to get used to a non-op antenna...

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Just got off the phone with a rep from Hirschmann (248-373-7150) and was told that all replacement antennas will bypass the manual function on older Mercedes vehicles.

That being said, their antenna #921 488-001 looks like as close to a direct replacement as we're going to get from Hirschmann, with the factory-style connector included with it. The listing states it's made for the w126 C or S models with the press in grommets included. either look like they would be the one for the w123, if not a quick trip to the dealership could provide one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts