Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 AMG Sport Package, P2
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for Superchargers and I see that www.myhps.com supercharger components are cheaper than Renntechs. Myhps go around $6000-$8000 and Renntech is around $17000. Any reason why?

·
Registered
2008 E350 AMG Sport Package, P2
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Hey There Supercharged SEC

You recommend Kleemann? Did you have good experience with them. I just wanna increase HP but I heard the Torque is not as high. For example HP 400 and TQ 395 is this true????

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
No the Kleeman kit for the E55 is rated at 550 hp and 529 lb-ft ot tq. http://www.bergw...

No the Kleeman kit for the E55 is rated at 550 hp and 529 lb-ft ot tq. http://www.bergwerks.com/k_super_appli.jsp I have heard more good things about Kleeman vs all the others. I'm sure the other guys are fine but Kleeman seems to be the standard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hps system is incredible

I just got my '99 e55 back from HPS and I seriously can't wipe the grin off my face. I sold my '97 911 c4s earlier this year when I found out my wife was pregnant with our 2nd kid.

I own probably the slowest mercedes around...'79 300cd. It's the only automatic I have driven prior to my e55. I have driven and owned a lot of very fast german and muscle cars, but nothing and I mean nothing comes close to this.

With the traction control off it is tough to keep the torque under wraps. The power is always on tap and I am picking up an '02 z06 with a buddy next week and can't wait to blow it's doors off.

I am more of a track guy and have never been much of a straight line speed addict, but this car has changed my mind!

DON'T WRITE OFF HPS...they have a great product and it is engineered as well, if not better than anything out there. They don't have the high profile name...YET! BUY IT NOW WHILE THE PRICES ARE STILL WHERE THEY ARE. Feel free to e-mail me with any question.

you can check out my cars and reach me through my website www.jwilberding.freeservers.com

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Wow, your first post to this forum and you ar plugging a companies product. Hum? Did som...

Wow, your first post to this forum and you ar plugging a companies product. Hum? Did someone ask you to do this or is this from HPS? No offense but this just sounds a little fishy.

I feel the HPS kit as well as the Kleeman kit are way over priced. However, the kleeman kit is intercooled. A cool engine is a happy engine. Right now, I wouldn't feel very comfortable putting non-intercooled boost in my daily driver E55. I feel that if HPS started to use an intercooler they would sell more kits.

An intercooler isin't necessary when you are at 4 psi or less but if I'm going to supercharge my E55 I'll want to run around 8 to 10 psi of boost to make it really worth my investment. I wish all the luck to HPS but their kit is around $3,000 higher than the threshold I'd pay for a non-intercooled kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
actually, not trying to plug anything. Just switched over to the e55 as I said in my po...

actually, not trying to plug anything. Just switched over to the e55 as I said in my post. If you look at my website and ever go on rennlist, you will see that I am a very active Porsche owner.

I have been lurking for a long time on this and mbworld. I have been trying to educate myself on superchargers for the MBZ and since HPS was local, affordable and even picked up and delivered my car to me, I felt a good choice.

I have never modified any of my cars and thought I would try it out. I am going to respond to another post on MBWORLD about a '03 vs. a z06...on a dragstrip. The poster is putting out even paying for the time if someone will bring out thier '03 e55. Since I am picking up an '02 ZO6 next week with my buddy I will also try out on my own.

go to www.jwilberding.freeservers.com or www.911clubsport.freeservers.com I am not trying to sell anything, just show you or anyone else interested that I am a serious car junkie.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
jwilberdog,

Enough said! Your message just looked very similar to many spams I see....

jwilberdog,

Enough said! Your message just looked very similar to many spams I see.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
What were the Dynojet numbers?I'm not trying to steer anyone away from your products. ...

What were the Dynojet numbers?

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from your products. Why would 8 psi of intercooled boost be worse than 4 psi of non-intercooled boost? I'd bet the 8 psi of boost with a good intercooler is better than the 4 psi of non-intercooled boost. I know for a fact that it will make much more power than non-intercooled boost. I'm not knocking your product; in fact, it looks pretty nice. I'd probably dish-out $4,000 for your kit.

Compression ratio is not a factor unless you get over 4 to 5 psi of non-intercooled and around 8 to 10 psi of intercooled boost. I have seen many 10:1 and higher CR cars run 10-15 psi of boost with a good intercooler and have not seen any problems and they have been running for an extend amount of time. Many of those cars in race and street applications. I don't think the E55 has a weakness that would cause it fail under properly managed boost. If it did, you wouldn't be willing to warranty your work. As long as you have enough fuel and cool air the engine should be fine.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
"As you can see Mercedes-Benz had to reduce the compression when using the IHI compressor ...

"As you can see Mercedes-Benz had to reduce the compression when using the IHI compressor at 11 PSI or major engine failure would occur. But is there system efficient? If a blower were running an 11-PSI you would expect a higher out of HP & Torque? Instead of a gain of 117HP"

Well, actually the new E55's have the same power as the SL55's. Don't know why they rate them differently but they both dyno at over 400 RWHP on a DynoJet.

I know all about boost relating to back pressure. That's why I had custom headers made for my SEC.

As far as a supercharger system being difficult to develop, I say that is not entirely true. I guess it depends on what you call difficult. The supercharger kits that use custom intake manifold are relatively difficult/expensive to make; however, I wouldn't consider one that utilizes a bracket and the stock intake as difficult to make. I know. I have made a supercharger kit from scratch. The stuff Vortech, Paxton, Magnacharger, or Procharger makes for cars is not rocket science. Basically, you get brackets, tensioner, bolts, pulley, plumbing, fuel management, and many come with intercoolers......all for around $5,000.

See Magnacharger for positive displacement kits: http://www.magnacharger.com/gmc5corvette.htm As a price point, I think the price of their kits are more inline with appropriate pricing. I think too many people jack the price of certain items because the items are for a Mercedes. High pricing for these kits will only cause more competition to enter the arena. Think about that. Why else would HPS be in the E55 supercharger business other than a lower price point?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
"As you can see Mercedes-Benz had to reduce the compression when using the IHI compressor ...

"As you can see Mercedes-Benz had to reduce the compression when using the IHI compressor at 11 PSI or major engine failure would occur. But is there system efficient? If a blower were running an 11-PSI you would expect a higher out of HP & Torque? Instead of a gain of 117HP"

Well, actually the new E55's have the same power as the SL55's. Don't know why they rate them differently but they both dyno at over 400 RWHP on a DynoJet.

I know all about boost relating to back pressure. That's why I had custom headers made for my SEC.

As far as a supercharger system being difficult to develop, I say that is not entirely true. I guess it depends on what you call difficult. The supercharger kits that use custom intake manifold are relatively difficult/expensive to make; however, I wouldn't consider one that utilizes a bracket and the stock intake as difficult to make. I know. I have made a supercharger kit from scratch. The stuff Vortech, Paxton, Magnacharger, or Procharger makes for cars is not rocket science. Basically, you get brackets, tensioner, bolts, pulley, plumbing, fuel management, and many come with intercoolers......all for around $5,000.

See Magnacharger for positive displacement kits: http://www.magnacharger.com/gmc5corvette.htm As a price point, I think the price of their kits are more inline with appropriate pricing. I think too many people jack the price of certain items because the items are for a Mercedes. High pricing for these kits will only cause more competition to enter the arena. Think about that. Why else would HPS be in the E55 supercharger business other than a lower price point?

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
E-55 superchargers

God topic guys - I have been looking for a non-supercharged (headers, chips, etc) option to get my E-55 over 400 HP (+50 HP)but it seems that those types of mods are simply not available. As I suggested previously, too bad Mercedes Benz does not offer a "kit" to achieve this - I feel than MANY 5.4 liter AMG owners would avail themselves of this opportunity if presented. There are a bunch of these motors out there now in various models.

I also wondered if internal motor modifications are required when installing a supercharger to strengthen the engine to avoid damage from the increased heat and power ?

Seen the Brabus, Kleenan, and HPE installations, but you gotta love the way that new supercharged E-55 motor looks, with the s/c neatly integrated on top of the motor. Very cool.

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
What are the performance stat. for 0-60 and 1/4 miles? And what is your warranty?John...

What are the performance stat. for 0-60 and 1/4 miles? And what is your warranty? Personally I strongly think Kleemann is over-priced. If I am to pay $20K( with installation) for an aftermarket supercharger, I might as will trade my car in for the real supercharged AMG E55 and have a full factory warranty. Kleemann only comes with 1 year warranty which is a joke. If they believed their product is superior then back it up with better warranty.

John

·
Registered
e55
27 Posts
John,

I think you are right, to spend 20k on a supercharger kit is a lot of money and...

John,

I think you are right, to spend 20k on a supercharger kit is a lot of money and you would probable be better off getting a new E55. I have a HPS supercharger on my 01E55 and am satisfied with the results so far. I think they are also a little overpriced for what you are getting comparing them to kits for other vehicles. I will post my 1/4 mile times as soon as I get some sticky tires on the car and take it to the strip.

Chuck

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
Hello SCE55,

I may be considering supercharging my E55 in the future and I am open to a...

Hello SCE55,

I may be considering supercharging my E55 in the future and I am open to all options. I will be very intersted to hear your input and results.

John

·
Registered
Hertzmobile
536 Posts
Re: Hello SCE55,I may be considering supercharging my E55 in the future and I am open to a

Hello SCE55,

I may be considering supercharging my E55 in the future and I am open to all options. I will be very intersted to hear your input and results.

John
If you're considering supercharging your E55 one word...Kleemann!!

·
Registered
e55
27 Posts
John,

If you have a lot of money then Klemman is probable the way to go. I hear ther...

John,

If you have a lot of money then Klemman is probable the way to go. I hear there cars run real well. If it was up to me I would take the 20k and buy a new e55. If you can crank up the boost on the new one I think it would really fly. I raced one with my car last week and I was able to pull half a car from a 30 roll to about 120 the second and third run we were even and on the four he was able to pull me by half a car and the last run he actually pulled a car length on me. I have it on video and may post it. Actually to defend the new e55 it had about 500 miles and had a full tank of gas where as my car had half a tank and my spare was out. I dont know what the the klemman e55 will run but if it cant run in the elevens then I would not spend the money. Has enenyone else out there run there cars at the track and what kind of times are you running with them?

Chuck

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
Kleemann is for people with inheritance money as disposable income. I work and I have dec...

Kleemann is for people with inheritance money as disposable income. I work and I have decent disposable income but I am not going to spend it senselessly. Kleemann is no doubt a great product but a new E55 is better choice and better resale value if I decide to unload it. Remember how much did Tim asked for his 2002 Kleemann CLK55, I believed it was about $57,000. A preowned Starmark 2002 CLK55 will run just under $55,000.

John

·
Registered
Mercedes EVO 2
191 Posts
Holy mac, thats a very fast Benz [:0][:0]...

Holy mac, thats a very fast Benz [:0][:0]

·
Registered
1 Posts
HPS,

What about loss of performance due to heat with your system? Without an intercool...

HPS,

What about loss of performance due to heat with your system? Without an intercooler won't your system lose performance over time when used in a track situation where temps are running high?

I can see how on the street this might not be a big deal, but if someone were to track their car would you say that it might be more advantageous to use an intercooled solution?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts