Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 sl320
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate any feedback on recommended manual hoists for a '96 sl320 hardtop. I just purchased the car and love it. But need the hoist for easy removal and storage. I see one model on Ebay - sold as new - for $149 - any feedback? Can the top be stored safely on the hoist - no warping over time? Is it best to cover the top also?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
92 300sl24v
6 Posts
Lifter

Steve
I have a manual hoist which works a treat, I have a cover for my hood though as the roof will get v dusty if left exposed in a gargage. My hoist is an OEM and has 4 anchor points on it so warping is not an issue as the load is evenly distributed. Hope this helps.
Pete,
ps we pay $750 over here for our hoists so looks like u got a bargain

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
I'd appreciate any feedback on recommended manual hoists for a '96 sl320 hardtop. I just purchased the car and love it. But need the hoist for easy removal and storage. I see one model on Ebay - sold as new - for $149 - any feedback? Can the top be stored safely on the hoist - no warping over time? Is it best to cover the top also?

Thanks, Steve
Hi Steve, I have a hoist that I used on my SL500. I purchased it in 1996 from Precision Auto Design (of Campbell), which has since been taken over by Performance Products. You may want to see if PP still has any. Give them a call.

Mine had the two straps in a cross and four catch points. The winch was a friction ratchet. Overall, worked well.

I usually let my top down onto the floor after driving the car out. I had two concerns: earth movement, and paint erosion. I was told by people that I trust to be knowledgeable, that the later SLs have softer paint (due to the newer eco-friendly paint formulas). I didn't want to have the straps rubbing on the paint with the pressure from the top pulling.

I also learned to remove and replace the top by myself, without a winch.

-s-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts